Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Do slot dumps actually show the station in use? I agree with you that it may have been a call collision. I have called into the system the auto attendant answers plays a greeting, I hang up, call back and the greeting picks up where I left off. My call obviously came back into the same channel which had yet to release from the switch.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Actually, no. Sorry about that. A slot dump doesn't, but D_B will.

There's no doubt that there's a severe lack of D channel supervision going on based upon that test call you made.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
The pri failed again yesterday big time, no calls in or out, busies coming in. I went on site, reseated the pri card, the circuit came back up quickly, the calls didn't start working for about five minutes. My partner showed up right after, called the rep from the Telco (Cox) and let her have it with both barrells. They finally agreed to send out a couple of techs with a firebird. Long story short, we could not make the pri fail again except for one time, and that was by calling out on it and back in on the same pri. The tech said that didn't help them cause they can't track a call from the same number to the same number. It the call would have to come from outside. So four of us banged away on our cell phones and never had another failure. I made two programming changes while this was going on. I increased the transmit levels on the pri trunks to +3 and made sure the 24th trunk was programmed as oos. It was not but it was programmed out of trunk group 1 and it has always shown up as oos on a slot dump. The last thing I did, just out of desperation more than anything else, was change out the pri combo to an older version card. This is a D channel problem and when the pri fails calls are still coming in but with no dnis info just the caller ID info. I get an invalid pri call error on etrace. Going out there is a no co ack message. The really weird thing is that when I uplug the csu/pri card from the smart jack and the circuit goes down, Cox CANNOT see that it is down. What does that mean? Does it have to do with the fact this pri comes through Verizon before it gets to us? And we never had any slips show up no matter what with the combo card. The older card gets 3 or 4 slips when it first comes up after being connected to the net. I am at a loss to figure out what is going on. I did hear the techs confering between themselves about some kind of high voltage reading wondering if that was normal or not. At the moment they have their tech eq still in the loop monitoring the net. And the plan is to come off the Verizon net and onto Cox's fibernet asap.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Is there a CSU/DSU in place? If so, you should try bypassing it and go straight into the card. If there isn't one there, you should try putting one in at least for troubleshooting purposes.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
There is the adtran csu/ace that came with the pri card. Inline or out, it didn't make any difference with this problem. At the present time it is in use.

www.myrandomviews

Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Problem no longer happens. We are on a COX pri from our eq to theirs and using the single function PRI card not the combo. The problem comes back when using the combo card. Don't know if the card is defective or just doesn't tolerate the circuit. I am thinking about trying it at another site and see if the card fails there.

www.myrandomviews

Are you kidding me? That just makes my blood boil to think of the countless hours that you have spent over this. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that Vodavi never offered to replace the card, correct?

I do have to ask a somewhat insulting question though: Was the DIP switch on the combo card set in the correct position for use with a PRI? :shrug:

Honestly, I've never seen one of their PRI cards go bad without reason (aside from lightning, etc.) and I surely haven't seen a combo card fail. You should take this up with Vodavi for sure.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
They never offered to replace the card. The dip swiches have always been in the correct position all five of them. Belive me, I spent hours on the phone with Vodavi, on this including programming parameters in the switch and in the DMS 500 (Vodavi keeps asking if it is a soft switch and one tech said Cox must be lying about that) My customer has been most patient about this but Vodavi sure didn't come through on this one. I had to get the card from a reseller. It was one techs suggestion that I try it at another site where a combo card is working.

www.myrandomviews

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The really weird thing is that when I uplug the csu/pri card from the smart jack and the circuit goes down, Cox CANNOT see that it is down.
The answer is right here and no place else. It's not Vodavi's nor the combo card's fault.

The problem is dead square in Cox's hands. If they cannot see the PRI card unplugged then they have an issue with the circuit or provisioning to the customer's site. It is IMPOSSIBLE to not see the card unplugged if the circuit is correct. The D channel is in constant communication with the C.O.

I have a CLEC here that drives me nuts with the same type of issues. I'm at a loss as to why the Vodavi techs didn't pick up on this when you told them.

--Bill.

Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Bill, tell Larry I said hello! I agree with you, but maybe the techs just are not looking in the right place, but they never show any slips even after the circuit is unplugged and for that matter I don't either. One tech said that not seeing the circuit down might have been caused by some auto diagnostics that Verizon runs when a circuit is in trouble. Don't know. But why would the combo end up having this d channel choke problem and the older PRI card work? Is the combo less tolerate to D channel fluctuations than the older card? The older cards will work with a soft switch (so I have been told) but the combo will not. Also I found out that if I set the pri/bri centrex plan to ITU I could not call out at all.(with the combo, don't know if it is the same with the older card) This is not an issue at any other Cox site that I have. Even though it appears to be working at the moment, I still want to get to the bottom of it so I don't go through this again the next time I install a PRI.

www.myrandomviews

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,330 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024