web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hey, guys! I'm a newby. Everytime I searched for quality information on Vodavi Systems, this Forum seemed to come up. I thought I'd try and tap into the wealth of knowledge available here. I hope you can help me. Please forgive my ignorance...

I have a Vodavi XTS-IP v4.003-2FE3 system with Pathfinder v2.8. 3015-71 Digital Phones and 3824-71 IP Phones.

#1. We have many users who share a single phone (extension and voicemail is shared currently), so each individual employee does not have a physical phone that is assigned to them. Many of our employees roam throughout offices and need to check their voicemail frequently. I wanted to set up a Backdoor DID to go directly to Voicemail for people who are checking voicemail remotely. I also wanted them to be able to dial a direct extension (if possible) to access voicemail directly, without having to go into someone else's voicemail and hit "*" to go to the main voicemail prompt (since many office phones are different models, and have different programmed soft keys, voicemail button locations, etc.)

#2. How can I assign a unique extension and voicemail box to each individual user without available ports and physical keysets? The only way I have figured out an effective solution is to use a live port from our 24port DTib Card, and plug a phone into the unused live port on the 66 block (say it's port #1 , x201) then enable call forwarding on the temperary phone for ALL Calls to be directed to the shared phone on say port#2, x202. Unplug the temperary phone x201. When someone dials x201 it rings x202, and if the call goes unanswered, then Voicemail Greeting from x201 terminates the call.

Works perfect- however we only have 1 unused live port and I need to do this for 5 or so users!

There has to be an easier way... Please help me! wink

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
I suggest using a virtual station. Assign it to forward to VM. If you don't assign a VMID, it should ask you to enter a mailbox number. You can also assign a DID to ring the virtual station for remote retrieval if you wish.

If you have spare DIDs, go ahead and give virtual stations to these users and assign multiple mailbox buttons to the shared phone. You can also use Call Cover buttons to ring first if you wish.

There are other work-arounds too, but virtual stations make it easier.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

As far as checking the VM, I just send a DID directly to the pathfinder to an unattended mailbox. That mailbox then forwards to a menu where the time out is set to zero and the timeout function is "Owner Access". What happens is the call is picked up by the VM and the user will first be prompted for their mailbox #, then their password.

For #2, you could use a menu system again and have it say "For Cathy's voicemail press 1", for Jim's voicemail pres 2" and so on. The Menu would send them to mailboxes on the voicemail and would not require dedicated ports.

This is more programming on the pathfinder than the XTS.

Hopefully someone will other options as well.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Virtual numbers do not require a port (not for same site operation anyway, networking is a different story.) The number just has to exist in memory...ie you have a 96 extension port system you can make any of the 96 extension numbers a virtual number even if you don't have the dtib cards to support it. You can preset the vitrual number in admin programming to forward to voice mail with a short timer. Call coverage keys can be put on the phones and you can have virtual mailbox buttons as well meaning two voice mail buttons or more on one set.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Kudo's to the newby for such complete information.

OP Offline
Hey thanks, Guys! Wow- that was fast. (My phone system support tech doesn't usually get back for 2 weeks- and he's PAID for his services!

Thank you for the quick responses and great suggestions. I really like the VIRTUAL STATION solution... However, I still have newby questions for you...

I'm following the Programming & Operations Manual to set up the Virtual Stations. I used Flash 50, Page B to set up a block of 9 Fixed numbers to be type "9" which is Virtual Station.

I then needed to reset the system according to the manual- so I did, and all still seems well.

I set up the Preset Forwarding via Flash 50, page C & D... And, set up a DID to ring to the Virtual Station... I can call the assigned DID to the Virtual Station no problem, and it goes to VM properly, but I can't figure out how to get it to ring a physical Station (x202 in my original example- the physical phone that is located in the shared office)BEFORE the call routes to VM.

Please help! wink Thanks again for all your thorough suggestions...

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I'd program a call coverage button (with ringing) on X202 to follow the ringing of the virtual station.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
You can use call coverage or you can use call forward follow me....dial from any phone 642 then 6 (for all calls to forward on the first ring) then the virtual number then the station (202) you want the virtual calls to go to. If the call is not answered at 202 then if 202 is forwarded no answer to voice mail the calls to the virtual station will also go to voice mail but to its box not 202 which is what you want.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
This is SO PERFECT you guys! Thank you so much for all your help. I've been slowly getting through one peice at a time, and now I have everything working perfectly with your help and advice! I ended up using the Call Forward Follow Me feature!

I hope I will be able to contribute to someone else's requests soon...

Thanks a TON! Case Closed!

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024