Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#224317 02/14/09 10:14 AM
oldphon Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking for the documentation for the Tone Commander "Innovator" PBX, circa early 1980's. I believe it was mainly used in the hotel/motel market. I recently acquired one and would like to see if I can get it up and running. I'm new to this forum, but I collect and tinker with all types of vintage equipment, so I hope this is on the correct forum.

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

oldphon Offline OP
OP Offline
BTW, I checked it again, and the model # is MH-4000.

Thanks!

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
While I know that this may be useless feedback, have you contacted Tone Commander directly at 800-524-0024? Their tech support people are mighty sharp and may have some good information for you. I'd give them a try.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
oldphon Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Ed! They actually have the docs, and are sending me a copy! I never thought they would still have it....

Jeremy

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Let us know how it works out. What kind of system is it? What are the specs?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sam, it appears to be identical in architecture to the ML-8000 intercom system. The major difference was the processor that was geared toward hotel/motel instead of a multi-link intercom system. If I recall, it still had a capacity for 80 stations, just like the ML-8000.

Most of Tone Commander's products have been big hits, but this was not one of them.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Ed -

I don't think I ever worked on an ML-8000 (or an MH-4000). Were they any good? Most TC stuff was. Were they stand alone systems like a PAX board, or did they integrate with CO Trunks?

Sam

KLD Offline
Ed, when I first started with the Feds we used them with the 1A2 (ML8000) for intercoms...very dependable.

As an aside, Melco also made a "PBX" that had an attendant, about four trunks, and 24 IC stations.

Just another wierd use that did not really catch on.

Ken
---------
The ML-8000 was a huge hit around here with all of the government agencies. C&P Telephone/Bell Atlantic/AT&T, etc. installed these things all over the place to the extent that they were practically disposable.

I wish that I hadn't thrown so many of them away.

Sam, the ML-8000 provided 1A2 intercom for up to 80 stations with separate line appearances on a key. It was a private intercom (quazzi PBX), where private T/R and LG/L were provided. Depending upon the number of link cards (two links each, up to four cards), there could be up to eight private conversations. Called parties received flashing lamp, options for single or repeated buzz,etc.

They also had a card to provide off-premise stations or SLT's with ringing provided across T/R. Pretty sophisticated at the time for sure. That bad boy was chock-full of options for sure.

I priced the components to build one of these systems through Graybar back in the day and almost went into cardiac arrest. They were VERY expensive, but since Bell was renting them to the government, money was no object. I'm not kidding.......These things were as common as line cards around here!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Pretty wild. Sounds like a beefed up ITT 36A system, or maybe more like the TD-100 (that had built in 1A2 too). I never worked on one, I don't think I ever even saw one. I did a lot of government work, but it was all PBXs.

Thanks for the update! You can always learn something new here!

Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,796
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,013 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 129 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024