web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#22987 09/22/09 07:20 AM
For no brainer and no tool type terminations I like the Amp series commoning blocks. example here.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#22988 09/22/09 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bullmastiff:
The whole thing started with buzzing on lines, then no dial tone. First thing I did was pull the "distribution line" (I call it) off one jack at a time on the 66 block, each time checking with my cordless phone. I got to one that, after pulling off, gave me clear DT on cordless. Thought my problems were done (knowing I'd have to look at that jack... later). Then found out the jack my DSL was on was dead. Then the rest of the story.
In your testing... Had you pulled the ADSL signal off and not punched it back down to that jack? (Obvious but I have to ask ya know.)... Or if you DID punch it back down, did you not get it re-terminated properly when putting it back? (Did you creat a NEW problem, different from your noisy/bad jack.)

Originally posted by bullmastiff:
One of you may have hit the nail on the head. I had an old punchdown tool. I'm inexperienced and hadn't slept much the night before, so I was using the wrong tip. I was using the notched tip you'd use to put wires into a female wall outlet do-hicky (for ethernet), not the one that surrounds the 66 block terminal point.
I know the other esteemed collegues here have mentioned it’s VERY rare for a 66-block to go bad... But I’m going to beg to differ since you’ve now mentioned you’ve been beating on that one with the OTHER DO-HICKY eek LOL… We’d call it a 110 blade just-so’s ya know. wink

Happy Birthday to you too Shawn and good luck.
:toast:

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#22989 09/22/09 11:35 AM
Yeah, using a 110 blade on a 66 block is no better than using a butter knife. You spread the clips so now they won't squeeze the wire properly. So now I would suggest changing the block because you damaged it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#22990 09/22/09 06:37 PM
OP Offline
Spuds, I'm in Missouri.

CnGRacin, yep, that's what I think happened. Originally I pulled off one by one to find the offending line. ADSL line was pulled, but was not the offending line, so I kept going. Next one I pulled was the offending line, so I left it off (no time to fix at the time so planned to mess with that one later). Leaving the bad one disconnected, I went back and reconnected the ones previous that were ok... problem was I used the wrong do-hicky, aka "the 110 blade" wink to reconnect them. That's when I got all confused and things went downhill from there.

hbiss, I'm hoping there's a little life left in the 66 block. Maybe it will help that I'm using CAT 5 for POTS since it is thicker than CAT 3 (& therefore will be easier to grip between the clips that I mistakenly spread with the 110 blade). I guess a new 66 block wouldn't cost much, but I hope to make do with this if possible. I've used the proper tip to punch down the source and connect two jacks. So far, so good.

Also, I never knew about the bridging clips or their function (I never had any). If I had purchased & used those, this whole ordeal would've been so much easier to troubleshoot by simply pulling & replacing clips to test each line instead of pulling the connecting wire and punching back down. I'm going to grab some bridging clips this time and see if I can squeeze a bit more service out of this 66 block.

You all have been very helpful. Thanks a lot for being willing to help a guy who is out of his area of expertise.

CnGRacin, thanks for the birthday wish.

Shawn

#22991 09/22/09 11:49 PM
hbiss, I'm hoping there's a little life left in the 66 block.
:nono:

Get a new one, they are inexpensive. wink

#22992 09/25/09 05:39 PM
OP Offline
Just thought I'd let everyone know... I bought a bag of bridge clips, used a fresh pair from a CAT 5 piece, and rewired the old block using bridge clips this time. The offending jack that started everything in the first place is still grounding out--I'll check it someday in the future when all the boxes are moved out from that corner. All else works like a charm. Gosh, those bridge clips are great. If I'd have been using those in the first place, none of this other trouble would've happened. I wouldn't have needed the tool (and wouldn't have used the wrong tip) in the first place because I could've just pulled the clip off that bad circuit.

Anyway, thanks to everybody again for helping. And I know a new block would've been cheap. If I had been a professional doing work for a customer I'd have just put in a new one to be totally sure, but I figure why generate trash if this one would still work. It seems I didn't ruin the terminals even after using a 110 blade.

Thanks!

Shawn

#22993 09/25/09 08:13 PM
Well Shawn, you are very expressive. I like that. I don't know what your strengths are, but you're welcome to come hang with us.

You can't imagine how laughable, yet how humbling it sounds to me to hear someone go on about bridge clips. It reminds me of how young I once was and how it is now that I have a responsibility to "hook up" the noob as someone once did me.

I like your attitude. There are far too many clowns that come into our forum who either post, "well that's what I first thought" (which is clearly bullshit, otherwise they wouldn't have posted) or the hubris of [what we call] a CG, or Computer Guy. The Computer Guy tends to be our arch enemy as he seems to know everything...just ask him!

Please stay a while. And even if you don't know much about voice stuff, we have many other forums where you might be able to provide help.

Welcome to the Sundance board.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#22994 09/26/09 01:30 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
like Tim said , Shawn welcome

another thing you can try is to use the pins you didn't stretch out with the 110 blade

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#22995 09/26/09 02:24 AM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Originally posted by skip555:
[b] If all the jacks went bad at once and there is DT at the NID then the 66 block as the point of distribution would be the place to start .
Not necessarily. All is takes is one bad jack to short the pair, thus putting the others Out of Service as well. Happens here all the time with corrosion on the needle pins of the jack being corroded. [/b]
tell me about it, as a kid we always were treated to a visit from bell the day mom would strip wallpaper. Those old copper jacks corroded in no time. Bell got smart in the 90s, before getting out of the inside wire business they started installing aluminum jacks

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Professor Shadow, Curlycord, dans, Toner), 94 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024