Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#23402 12/28/09 04:28 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Not sure where to post this for best exposure, but:

I'm finding that the output from a Magic Jack is not sufficient to reliably drive external caller ID displays, phones or KSU ports. They claim that it does, but it often doesn't. I've tried to contact their "technical support" about this, but that was a joke.

Somehow, I came across someone selling an in-line gadget that supposedly fixes this shortcoming. In their illustration, it looks like a typical DSL filter. I tried using a filter to see if it would do anything. When hooked up correctly, it had no effect but when hooked up backwards, I did get distorted data on the connected system.

I figured that this device must be simple since whatever it is fits inside of what appears to be no larger than a cord coupler. I tried using diodes in various directions and combinations but that didn't do anything at all.

Does anybody have an idea as to what might be needed in order for this to work? I suppose I could just part with the few bucks that the guy wants for this thing, but this is more of a curiosity question than anything.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

"Does anybody have an idea as to what might be needed in order for this to work?"

Just a wag, but a tiny step-up transformer?

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Ed -

I'm guessing the problem is somehow related to the output voltage or current of your USB port.

Your USB ports are supposed to supply 5V @ 500 mA, but browsing the web led me to a number of posts where people had to replace their PC power supply to get the USB voltage up to 5V.

Do you have any other USB devices plugged in? If so, first thing I'd try is removing them and seeing what happens.

If you don't have any other USB devices, or if that doesn't fix it, do you have another PC you can try it on? Maybe the MJ itself is defective.

Have you tried it on other USB ports?

Are you using the MJ with an extension cable? If so, try removing it and plugging straight into the USB port.

If none of this works, the option I'd go with is to buy an AC powered USB hub. Looks like they go for around $45. Dunno if that cost is worth it to ya or not... but if it fixes the problem, maybe $45 isn't that much. If it doesn't fix it, you can always return the hub.

I found a powered USB hub at Micro Center (dunno if they have those in your neck of the woods) for $12: USB hub

You can also get them at Best Buy, or if you can wait a few days, through Newegg.

Finally, here's a link from sandman, which has a couple links (along with some real good info) in it that might help you out:

Sandman MJ bulletin

Hope any of this helps.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I laughed when I read this:
The nice people at Magic Jack support, who I thought were morons because they told me to "Return the Magic Jack to ebay,..."
Sound familiar, Ed?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
100K ohm resistor it is! I don't know why I didn't think of Sandman. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
No problem ... glad I could finally help you with something for a change!

One thing - looking through the forum link sandman provided ( MJ Forum ), it looks like the 100K resistor fix is only for CID problems (although I didn't look through all 25 or so pages in the thread).

Your post seemed to indicate you were having other problems as well... just out of curiosity, could you let me know if the 100K trick fixes all the issues you were having (just in case some day I decide to jump on the MJ bandwagon and try to hook the thing to my 1A2)?

Thanks -
Matt

OP Offline
Well after a stop at Radio Shack and $1.04 of hard-earned cash, it now works flawlessly. I can't believe the fix was so simple. Thanks again for the suggestion, Matt.

I'm still amazed at the fact that the MJ is so sensitive that a 100,000 ohm load would even be detected across tip and ring.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Wonderful!

Thanks for the update Ed, I can't really take credit for it though, I saw the 100K post w/respect to CID, but wasen't sure that would fix all the problems. Twas you who found it and fixed it.

But knowing this, I have an older PC that I might just dedicate to a MJ (so I don't have to deal with the pop ups) ... then I'll have 3 working lines on my 1A2 system. Of course I don't _need_ 3 lines, but that's way beside the point.....

Oh - one other thing, if you should be so inclined - a guy at work deals with micro electronics, so I can get you a 100K resistor you can mount inside the MJ, so's ya get something like this:

[Linked Image from img192.imageshack.us]

Lemme know, I'm guessing you won't want to do it as what you have is working fine, but just in case, the offer stands.

Thanks -
Matt

OP Offline
Well, not so fast. It worked great for about five calls, then I got garbage in the name field and it stopped completely. It turns out that the resistor got blown.

I replaced the resistor and it started working again for now. At five for a buck, I can afford to experiment a few more times.

As for the popups, I just dragged the management box down to the bottom and it stays in the tray. I have mine running on my home junkyard computer with everything else and the MJ doesn't interfere a bit.

I have found that my old Procomm Plus software kills the MJ when I use it though. Once I've used that program, I have to go and restart the MJ. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that Procomm seems to think it owns all of the computer's ports and IRQs, thus causing a conflict. I'm going to avoid using Procomm for a while to see if that truly is the problem.

I did like the idea of the thin clients that one of the guys on the MJ forum is selling. Take a look at the 19th page of the last link you provided and you'll see a link to his e-bay listing for them.

As for the micro-resistor, thanks but no thanks. At this point, I'm just trying to determine the ins and outs of the MJ. I seem to be getting quite a few requests to add them to existing systems and I want to learn now instead of through the school of hard knocks.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
Admin
Ed what wattage resistor do you have? I can send you a higher wattage to try if you want it.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,091 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024