Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
5 09:
1->01:ESIB 8

01 is the slot number. If you press 2 at this point then it will tell you what is in slot 2 and so on and so forth.

I know a little about a lot, and a lot about little.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

zachdha Offline OP
OP Offline
I suppose this falls under "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

The tech configured the ESIB as an ESI. They are apparently not compatible.

After swapping my ESIBs and noting that they both function. I changed the card assignment to ESIB. Now my new extension functions properly.

He didn't assign an extension number to the new extension, and I'm sure didn't configure voice mail for it either. I guess I'll thumb through the manual and try to figure out those processes. (If anyone has any pointers on which mem blocks to look at, I'll be grateful for the help.)

I appreciate those who responded. I learned a lot -- so maybe next time I won't have to spend $XXXX to have someone install something incorrectly for me!

Originally posted by zachdha:

He didn't assign an extension number to the new extension, and I'm sure didn't configure voice mail for it either. I guess I'll thumb through the manual and try to figure out those processes.

so maybe next time I won't have to spend $XXXX to have someone install something incorrectly for me!
I'd call and ask for my money back. First of all, $XXXX for an hour service call to add a card and 8 stations is ridiculous. If it took longer than an hour, that is also ridiculous.

I would argue the fact that the tech was obviously not certified or familiar with the product. This is basic stuff, covered on the very first day of the certification class.

Your tech was obviously a noobie, which is fine, but should of had some resources to help him with his task at your business.

D

I see it as this guy is a tech "wanna be". Yes I agree, call the tech back and don't get charged for a return trip. $XXXX is just plain stupid. The tech may not have been certified, but neither is this person trying it on his own!!

My .02

Scott.

I've edited the above posts to remove pricing only. As this is a public forum and service rates vary greatly across the country, and even to our international associates, we like to keep service and equipment prices confined to PM's and private forums.

Thank you all for understanding.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

zachdha Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by scotttoolguy:
I see it as this guy is a tech "wanna be". Yes I agree, call the tech back and don't get charged for a return trip. $XXXX is just plain stupid. The tech may not have been certified, but neither is this person trying it on his own!!

My .02

Scott.
You're kidding, right?

The difference is this person, "trying it on his own" is not charging a third party for his expert services..

My point being that if you already paid for a service call, instead of " trying it yourself", why not call back the people that started it and MAKE them finish it on their dime. Instead of just letting them get away with screwing your switch up. How long have you been working on NEC systems, or any other for that matter before you came here asking for FREE help? How long have you been in the telecom biz? Just to satisfy my own curiousity. And yes, I was joking, however I am concerned that you are willing to pay someone to do work that didn't do it right, then decided to fix it onn your own.

Scott.

zachdha Offline OP
OP Offline
There comes a point where my time is better spent fixing the problem myself than dealing with someone else who is much less motivated to fix it.

I have enough experience with my NEC and a previous Intertel system to get by, and to do so without fuxing anything up. It's unfortunate when the techs you rely on have less technical ability than yourself. Note I said technical ability, and not training. My background is in IT, and not telcom. But a computer is a computer. The idea of programming a phone system is quite trivial to me, even though the interface to said programming may be unfamiliar.

Judging by your "member rating", I would have to assume you're a fairly helpful guy around here. And I'm sure that's quite appreciated. That's the beauty of forums such as this.. that one can come here for "free" help when necessary.

That said, your entry into this conversation was unnecessary, and your comments inflammatory. Your elitist attitude does nothing to benefit this forum. Fortunately, there are others more willing to help than to make snide remarks about some non-telco person wanting "free" help.

The only reason I even started a comment was your attitude that you were better than the one who started the work. " want it done right, do it yourself" I believe was your statement. If you are IT, don't expect any sympathy around here, or just don't tell everyone I will suggest.The reason also for why I asked background was for the prime example of some IT professionals with the " it's just a computer that controls a phone" attitude. Just like I will never say "it's just dialtone" to you.

zachdha Offline OP
OP Offline
Look, this is serving no purpose. I'm assuming a mod will be by to clean up this thread anyway...

We've all been the victim of incompetents posting as professionals at some point or another. In my experience, true professionals who care about how a job turns out are far and few between. I'm assuming you're a true professional, yet you choose to align yourself with or identify with a tech who was too lazy to solve an issue he was working on? That thought would never cross my mind if I ran across some random thread with a telcom guy bashing an incompetent IT guy. It wouldn't even occur to me to compare myself with the incompetent IT guy. And if you took the time to read the initial messages in this thread, you'll observe that I'm quite thankful for the help I received here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,331 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 137 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024