web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
WillM Offline OP
OP Offline
We just got a new 8100 system. I believe Music On Hold, at least from an external source, is an add-on card/ blade and we did not purchase that hardware.

We do have InMail installed.

I am hoping I can upload a .wav file to loop for playback to people when they are put on hold, right now what they hear is silence.

The salesperson and installer told me I could upload a file by logging into the dummy user account and then set it to play in the super user account but he was not specific enough, is not around today, and I am impatient.

When I login as a dummy user I am shown upload icons with the following labels:

- VRS Audio Up/Down load
- InMail Audio Up/Down load(Station)
- InMail Audio Up/Down load(Group)
- InMail Audio Up/Down load(Routing)

None of those seem to directly map to the page 2 MOH settings in the Super User wizard ( which seems to be nothing more than the 10-04 Music on Hold Setup ) where I am asked to choose source selection:
- internal
- external
- service tone
- vmdb

Should I use "internal" or do I need the add-in blade for that?

Can I use service tone which I figure we must have support for and if so where can I upload a .wav file to set a custom one?

More generally, how do I get this going?

BTW From my uploading experiments using VRS ( voice recognition system? ) it seems like the .wav file must be less than 10Meg which is about a minute of stereo audio at 44KHZ. I am hoping I could make that longer by dialing ( HAH! my first phone hacking joke ) the sample rate down and converting to mono to keep the file size under 10MB.

Thank you very kindly in advance for any help!

Will

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
MOH source/unit plugs into CPU blade, there are 2 mini phono plugs on the front.

WillM Offline OP
OP Offline
Ahh check, thank you very much! I do see that BGM/MOH plug now thank you.

It seems like a kluge to buy an MP3 player that supports an AC adapter, copy my audio to that player, set it to loop, and plug it in... it would be much easier to upload a loop via the browser interface.. but...

The tech came back and told me that VRS is what I want. I uploaded there and set the tone number to the same number as my upload, 1, and that gave static on hold.

I re-initialized and now there is an intermittent tone playing on hold, not my creative commons licensed wikimedia hosted classical music.

Perhaps the format of the .wav file may be the problem, I had to dial it down length and sampling to under 1Meg on the VRS upload before it wouldn't complain about the file too big.

I will message the tech again but it seems like I will need to go out and buy that MP3 player as using the VRS upload seems like a workaround that ain't workin'.

WillM Offline OP
OP Offline
By downloading a .wav that was on the system I believe it wants 8KHz mono .wav format but I just got static with that too. I re-initialize, and then see that the 10-04 setting has gone back to tone from VMDB which I was told was the way to bring up the uploaded sample.

WillM Offline OP
OP Offline
I got it working by finding the format under the Upload VRS in the features and specs manual.

It requires a .wav file in compressed, CCiTT u-law format: 64K ( 7k), 8 bits, mono, 8Khz. I used the fairly cheap and fully functional free trial period dbPowerAmp Music Converter to get my file into that format: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

The 2 minute sample may annoy customers.. and sound quality may not be as good as an MP3 player, I've learned that they have dedicated MOH mp3 players that just turn on and go, so maybe I'll go that way after a bit.

That's sound business advice!!! Buy expensive new phone system, put crappy music on hold, annoy customers.
That Harvard Business School?
Oh well. Everyday occurrence now-days.

:toothy: :toothy:

WillM Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, If you had been so lucky as to call us in the last 24 years, _and_ to have been be put on hold... you would have heard a 'tone commander' sonar ping sound.

I don't want to shock anyone by going too far too fast!

Does the analog MOH input on this machine carry on through without being digitally coded on my side? I think it must.. cool.

If I can't drop any old format sound file into a folder on our network and have it sound good maybe I'll just see if i can revive that ping sound, but add some bubbles.

What we normally do down here now is to buy a cheap USB powered MP3 player and plug it into the USB port on the CPU and plug the 3.5mm plug into the ext MOH port.

Regards,

Paul W
Now back to a 0 day week. Love these 7 day weekends.
WillM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for that info, I was wondering if the USB port could be used just for power!

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,948 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024