web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#247961 10/20/11 10:13 AM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Would somebody that's really familiar with the Vodavi systems kindly explain to me what the heck CAR and CAP does? CAP kind of looks like loop but it isn't real clear? What in the world is CAR and the virtual extension bit? It looks like the virtual extensions start at 200 but doesn't that conflict with station numbering?

After doing nothing but Vodavi since 1983 and switching to an entirely new platform my poor old mind is having a bit of trouble wrapping around some of the SV8100 stuff. It's easier for me to think Vodavi and translate. :idea:

Thanks guys.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#247962 10/20/11 01:05 PM
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
CAPS are like loop keys. They are numbered & each phone has unique ones assigned. CAR keys are virtuals & start at 201. That leaves 200 to use as the voice mail pilot. Station numbering usually starts at 101. Wait.....it gets better.

#247963 10/20/11 02:13 PM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Oh, I had a lot of fun with the voicemail. After messing around for a couple of hours I called support and they walked me through setting it up. Jeez.............

So, what's the purpose of a virtual key? Tech support had me set the VM pilot at 200 but by that time I was rather annoyed at all the steps to just get it to work that I didn't ask why or what the pilot should be if I have extension 199 and needed to add another one. I noticed the docs say there's 276 virtual extensions. The system grows well beyond 276 stations so is a CAR key needed? I've read the docs and CAR makes no sense. Why would anybody need a second extension key?

This unit sure is a lot different than the Vodavi stuff and doesn't have much in common with it's little brother, the DSX.

Thanks.

#247964 10/20/11 03:47 PM
A good use for a CAR = (call arrival) keys are ringing appearances. DID's can ring to a CAR/virtual keys to identify the type of call or have it ring on multiple phones. CAP = (call appearance) just for reference.

#247965 10/20/11 06:39 PM
CAP keys...ahhhh don't get me started. If you are using the INMAIL I think it's pretty straight forward after you do a few hundred. smile

#247966 10/21/11 02:51 AM
Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Originally posted by Coral Tech:
CAP keys...ahhhh don't get me started. If you are using the INMAIL I think it's pretty straight forward after you do a few hundred. smile
That's certainly encouraging..... :confused:

Fortunately for us we're after small businesses and we'll mostly be installing these as key systems with line appearances. Trying to sell the DSX with all the trunkers around here with any sort of realistic margin is killing us. Also the DSX is really limited in software features.

We really weren't too happy Vertical decided to completely revamp product lines and dump our Vodavi and Comdial equipment we'd used for years.

#247967 10/21/11 03:01 AM
The UX5000 is basically the same system without CAP keys.

#247968 10/21/11 03:55 AM
Deltron, there is alot of Pros and Cons of different features provided by different Mfg's. The IPKII/SV8100 System is a Solid System, for me, i try not to get hung up on one feature or operation when learning about a new phone sytem.
CAR Key = Virtual Key/Loop Key (not exactly the same as Loop but serves the same purpose.
CAP Key = Is where the line lands after dialing (9) or is transfered to you by a person or VM. Once you learn more about the SV8100 I think you'll find it is a Good System to add to your Product Line. :thumb:

"The Only Stupid Question, Is the Question Thats not Asked."
#247969 10/21/11 04:26 AM
So are CAR keys out going? Cna they be assigned individual trunk group access? (I haven't had to do that so far on an 8100) on the i-series - UX5000, I have a few customers (Mainly lawyers, or multi tenants situations) that share a conference room. In the Conference room I Assign loop keys for Each trunk group and label them as Joe's lines, or Mary's Lines. That way if Mary is in the conference room and needs to place a phone call, she presses her loop key and accesses her lines.
Rickman, I agree it is not good to get hung up on one feature, but coming from my side and having played with the UX5000 and all of it's predessecors, those systems are virtually identical with the exception of the built in call keys that eliminated the need for these.

Deltron, as a matter of course, virtuals are also called call coverage keys or are referred to as Multiple directory keys.
You can assign an extension number to a virtual.
Direct a line to ring that extension. have a button programmed onto phone that looks at that virtual so that way when a call comes in it will flash. You can then program that button to ring, or delayed ring, and then you can have the virtual extension forward the call somewhere else.
If you ever get into making a department group, virtual extensions are vital since extensions in a department grooup can't forward. (I almost always put the virtual extension in the department group)
Another application for virtuals is when several people share a phone. Set the users up with extension numbers in the "normal range" and assign the phone a number way outside that range. Put call coverage keys on the phone for each of the users, put voicemail keys on for each user then, they know who the call is for. Hope that helps instead of adding to the confusion.
I still haven;t learned what use a CAR key is, but CAP keys are ery important if you don't have line appearance

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
#247970 10/21/11 04:32 AM
Since I am green horn on SV8100 myself, please DO correct me if my info is incorrect here . I just want to share with Deltron on what I learned on my own so far with CAP/CAR/VE mysteries.
CAP is pretty much for dialing /conference in simple implementation . Say like you have 20 pots and your phone set has only 2 buttons, your calls would need to need to land on some key so you can receive or make the call . Sure you can make CAP as loop keys if your phones have enough buttons for them . You would also need CAP when you transfer the call. Give minimum 2 CAPs on the set so user can transfer/conf .

CAR / VE is also a way for you to feed the incoming calls to the system . You can also manipulate it a little bit if needed before reaching the final destination. Ex: on PRI /DID you can use shared VE to ring/flash on the sets differently based on individual DID/Target number. Making the high-end set's key lamp to change its color based on DID # is pretty neat, specially for busy customer service station.You can also make it land on key and make outgoing calls from VE as an option should you want it .
Since VE is a phantom port/set , you also can make the SV8100 to "dial" an external number via auto attendant menu / dial action
I also preferred to use VE instead of hunt as Dept Group hunt since CFW on set will prevent it from getting dept group calls ( weird concept ! )

I can not thank Pat enough for sharing his knowledge through his 8100 stuff Web portal in the past. It helps me so much as NEC is pretty "protected" , IMHO , in publishing its technical manuals ( sigh ) .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024