web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Quick brief on me since I'm new here: I used to install Merlin, Meridian, and Panasonic systems "way back when" and dabble in some Asterisk/FreePBX setups with SIP VoIP phones. Work as a CIO/IT Manager now and perform the majority of the maintenance to our NEC SV8100/UM8000 system. I unfortunately do not have much experience with this system beyond maintenance and normal configuration stuff. Advanced troubleshooting is where I fall short on this particular system.

I've been trying to get our service provider out here since Monday to solve this issue, but I'm hoping someone else can offer some advice before they finally decide to get out here.

Earlier this week it was pointed out to me when the system is on our "Night" mode (set for the AA to answer immediately vs. letting it ring to the console) when it picks up it just repeats the first second or two of the OGM over and over. While it is doing this you can key in an extension and it will ring it, but unfortunately most people don't know that and hang up when they hear, "Welcome to (our company name), Welcome to (our company name), Welcome to (our company name)..."

Also I can no longer access the units via their web browser interface. I've never had any trouble prior to this as I did all of my administration via the web interface for both the SV8100 and the UM8000 as I am not in possession of the PcPro software required to administer this another way.

As a result of this the UM8000 is no longer sending voicemails out to the e-mail system when they are left for people. This is going to be a huge problem next week when our offices are closed as people will be checking their e-mails for important messages.

Other than a reboot (which we've tried as recommended by our installer) is there anything else I can try? (FYI: Reboot was described to me as flip the two power switches on the NEC cabinets to off, wait for it to power down [all lights off], then turn them back on...If that's wrong, let me know.)

We did replace our network switch (unrelated to this incident, the fans in it were very noisy), which the devices are plugged into, however I have tried multiple ports and even plugging the phone system units directly into the spare ports on the router (as there's no need for either unit to be on Gigabit) with no luck. The jacks on the NEC units AND the switch/router both get link lights. I cannot ping either device. During the reboot I left two ping windows open, one for each device, and it responded for a few pings during the reboot process and then no response. We are not employing any sort of QoS or firewall rules that would inhibit access to either NEC unit on either a hardware or software level.

Sorry this is so long, just trying to be thorough. Any assistance that can be offered will be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Dave
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Does this system have a IPLA blade in it?

Did you loose connection to the SV8100 and UM8000 after the power cycle? Is this also when voice mails stop forwarding to emails?

You need to confirm the IP addresses in program 10-12-01 or 09 if the system has a IPLA blade through phone programming

How long ago was this system installed?

Do you know the software version of the SV8100 and UM8000?

There was a bad batch of flash cards for the UM8000, the dealer who installed it will be able to confirm my the serial number, date it was manufactured and country it was made in.

We get old too soon, smart too late
OP Offline
System configuration is as follows:
1x CD-CP00 (Main Unit)
1x CD-PRTA (T1/PRI Card)
1x CD-VM00 (UM8000 Unit)
1x CD-8LCA (SLI)
4x CD-8DLCA (DSIs)

I think IPLA is for SIP/VoIP? I'm a little rusty on the newer stuff, and may have confused since I said I dabble in SIP/VoIP, but that's unrelated to this system. Sorry!

There was no connection prior to the power cycle. The power cycle was a recommended diagnostic step by our installer in attempts to correct both of the listed issues (no net access & repeating AA OGM.)

System was installed around April of '09.

Wish I would have recorded software versions, do not have them handy.

Best Regards,

Dave
I would remove the units from the network and try and establish connection with a crossover cable directly to a laptop.

To explain further what Coral tech is saying: If you can access it through the web interface with a crossover cable, or back-to-back on a simple hub, then the problem lies in the network.

If you can't, then there is most likely either a programming problem or a hardware failure.

OP Offline
I'm going to lean toward hardware failure considering the issues with the outgoing message, but I will see if I've got an x-over cable handle (or just make one) and give that a shot.

It seems odd that BOTH the units would fall off the network at the same time unless it was either network related, or hardware failure.

Thanks for the advice.

Best Regards,

Dave
OP Offline
Alright, turns out it was completely my fault. Well, it was the fault of our new switch. I had a Netgear SmartSwitch GS748T v1 (which caused no issues in it's default state) that was replaced under lifetime warranty with a GS748T v4. Apparently the v4 comes pre-configured with some voice VLAN settings that interfere with the operation of the SV8100/UM8000's network features. The setting can be found below:

[Linked Image from spooledup.com]

This setting is under Switching, Voice VLAN, and comes default to "enabled." As soon as I clicked disabled and "apply" the ping responses starting coming back from the unit and the greeting started to work without issue.

The discovery of this came with testing the units on their own small network using my laptop and a 5 port switch, so thanks for those suggestions as it lead me in the right direction. The only thing that had changed was that switch, so diagnostics went well from there. Oh, and if it matters, the SV8100 seems to support Auto-MDIX, so a crossover cable is not necessary for this system. It links up fine when connected directly to my laptop with a straight through cable.

I'm posting this in case someone else comes here in a Google search down the road. I suspect this would be a viable solution any SV8100/8300/UM8000 owner that also has a NetGear SmartSwitch.

Again, thanks for the push in the right direction from you guys.

Best Regards,

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for this, was having the same problem just before Xmas holidays and couldn't figure out what was going wrong.

Makes so much sense when you think about it not pinging when on this switch. A bit of a worry with switches becoming more intelligent that these things come on as default and assign VLANs as per vendor mac address.

Anyways, as long as its known to us it doesnt really matter.

Regards
Keith

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,454 Shoretel
188,306 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
4 members (newtecky, Carl Navarro, James D., justbill), 117 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024