web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
chuck Offline OP
OP Offline
So... I'm trying to wire my computer sound card into my stereo receiver, to play music throughout the house. I spliced into the "line out" from the sound card before the computer speakers. I tied the stranded shield wire to the ground side of two RCA plugs going into my receiver as "tape 2 in", and the two hot leads from the sound card to the two center posts of the RCA plugs.I get good strong audio from my stereo now, but also get a pretty good hum which stays at the same annoying level regardless of the volume setting on my computer. I'm using cat-3 house wiring between the two, probably about 25'. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Chuck,

unfortunately the input quality you are getting from the line out of the sound card is very poor. If you really want to play music from your PC to your stereo and achieve a good sound quality, you will need a high end sound card that can produce a digital line out and a reciever that can handle the same in.

Check out www.extremetech.com. It is a user forum from Ziff Davis. They have a catagory on their for sound. You can probably get some good advise about equipment there.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Chuck,
The splicing and CAT3 is perhaps where you're picking up your hum. I used a Radio Shack 25' stereo extension (1/8" stereo plug one end, male RCA jacks the other end). From "Line Out" on my sound card (OLD ISA Creative SoundBlaster 32) to the "AUX" port on my receiver (not half bad older Fisher unit). No hum whatever and I can truly annoy the neighbors if I want! I can't swear to it, but it appears that this cable is either shielded or coaxial.

The hum you're experiencing is a grounding issue. Common grounding is always a problem... but here's the deal -- it's probably amplified by your "splicing" and connections and what not.

Try a 1/8" to RCA cable. Run long RCA cables from there into your receiver (tape in is a line level source, so that should be sufficient) and see if the problem is eliminated. I wouldn't be splicing those tiny speaker wires, too hard to deal with.

For the noise problem, you can also try ferrite collars around your cable to minimize noise.

I don't have any first hand experience with this or know how much you wanted to spend but I saw this in an ADI catalog after reading your post and thought you might want to take a look. They have em for around $200.
https://www.homedirector.com/AudioPoint/

(fixed link)

[This message has been edited by JOHNYREB (edited September 04, 2003).]

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,316 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024