Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
So, I am still d*cking around, not making a decision on a new PC or Laptop (both of mine should be replaced).

And while I grudgingly accepted Windows about 10 years ago (realizing that my beloved OS/2 was not going to make it), I'm really aggravated with Bill Gates and his devil spawn.

I did a lot of work with Unix years ago, and messed around a bit with Linux - but I still don't think it's ready for prime time.

But wait! The new Macintosh OS is Unix based. So maybe I have a direction to go in.

And while I'll probably be back in a year asking the same questions again I'm going to try to ask them now and maybe grow a pair and take the plunge.

So I have a few questions:

1- Should I buy a MAC?
2- If so - how are the laptops for putting my toe in the water? Or should I stick to a desktop?
3-How is compatibility with MS docs - word, excel & visio?
4- I used to program in dBase. I hate Access. I think it's utter crap. Does the Mac have a database of its own and is it compatible with dBase dbfs, prgs, etc? (I know about dBase for the Mac - 1987 vintage. From what I understand it was terrible).
5- How hard is it to get a MAC to work on a windows network. This includes accessing windows files on other hard drives, print to a network printer, copy back & forth, etc.I know it can be done, but does it require case of bourbon and much prayer?
6- I use Thunderbird as an email client. Does Mac have an email program that's compatible?
7 - I use Firefox as a web browser. I like it a lot. Is there a MAC version?
8- I live and die by my Palm Treo 700. I know there is a MAC version of the desktop software. Is it any good?
9- I understand that If I get a MAC, I will still probably have to run some windows programs sometimes. What's the deal with Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware etc?

Thanks in advance and please pardon a coward who's afraid to make the plunge.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
The answer is yes you should.

Bottom line is it's superior quality hardware and a superior OS/kernel.

All Mozilla software (Thunderbird, Firefox, Bugzilla, Camino etc.) is usable on a Mac. Just about anything that is ran on windows can be ran on a Mac, for the typical office environment.

I haven't tried Parallels yet.

I am heading to bed right now, so I will post my reasons for/against tomorrow.

here are a few of quick links to read (some are old, some are new) :

https://www.apple.com/getamac/

https://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/21/ten_reasons_to_buy_a_mac/

https://soylentfoo.jnewland.com/art...ns-to-ignore-windows-vista-and-buy-a-mac

https://www.lockergnome.com/osx/2005/07/26/more-reasons-to-buy-a-mac/

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Tony -

Thanks! I'll start reading today.

Sam

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, I read the articles and they were mostly sales hype. I have gotten some information out, but I still have a couple of questions:

So, the Mac has versions of the PC software - Palm Desktop, thunderbird, firefox, ms office -
but are they better, worse or the same as their pc counterparts?

Mac must have a database of it's own. What is it and how compatible is it with dBase?

And how about Networking?

Sam

Sam...I do know that the networking can be done between macs and PCs. It's not always easy, because of the underlying UNIX architecture. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you need Samba to connect to a Windows file server. Printing is not too hard, you would just connect to the IP address if it's a network printer.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Silversam:
Well, I read the articles and they were mostly sales hype. I have gotten some information out, but I still have a couple of questions:

So, the Mac has versions of the PC software - Palm Desktop, thunderbird, firefox, ms office -
but are they better, worse or the same as their pc counterparts?

Mac must have a database of it's own. What is it and how compatible is it with dBase?

And how about Networking?

Sam
That's why I said "quick" links... just some stuff I found with "the google" quickly. smile

Mac does have most software that you would generally run in a normal office environment and it is the same, but it all depends on the developer. A developer could make a program for only a Mac platform and not for Windows and vice versa.

i.e. - if you are running Firefox on a Mac and Firefox on a Windows box, it is the same base browser... now that being said, some different add-ons/extensions are different, because not all developers make a Windows and or Mac version of the same add-ons.

Same goes with MS Office... Excel, Word, Power Point, etc. are all the same on a Mac. If you create an Excel file on a Mac and e-mail it to a Windows box, it will be exactly the same and vice versa.

You ask about dBase... I do not know what that is, but a quick google search found that it is a Windows only based program, which means you would have to do Parallels or Boot Camp to use it... if not, I'm sure there is a Mac OS comparable program.

Networking is simple with Macs, from my experience... but it depends on your server OS too. Are you running an IBM, FreeBSD, Linux, Windows, etc. A UNIX server OS is still the most prolific from what I've seen (but that's just me... may not be) and if that's the case (a UNIX server OS) then it will be simple, since the Mac's architecture is UNIX based too.

----

What programs are you looking to run (Office, web-surf, admin programs, etc.)?

What is your price range?

Are you looking to migrate anything?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by Silversam:
I did a lot of work with Unix years ago, and messed around a bit with Linux - but I still don't think it's ready for prime time.

But wait! The new Macintosh OS is Unix based. So maybe I have a direction to go in.

So I have a few questions:

1- Should I buy a MAC?
2- If so - how are the laptops for putting my toe in the water? Or should I stick to a desktop?
3-How is compatibility with MS docs - word, excel & visio?
4- I used to program in dBase. I hate Access. I think it's utter crap. Does the Mac have a database of its own and is it compatible with dBase dbfs, prgs, etc? (I know about dBase for the Mac - 1987 vintage. From what I understand it was terrible).
5- How hard is it to get a MAC to work on a windows network. This includes accessing windows files on other hard drives, print to a network printer, copy back & forth, etc.I know it can be done, but does it require case of bourbon and much prayer?
6- I use Thunderbird as an email client. Does Mac have an email program that's compatible?
7 - I use Firefox as a web browser. I like it a lot. Is there a MAC version?
8- I live and die by my Palm Treo 700. I know there is a MAC version of the desktop software. Is it any good?
9- I understand that If I get a MAC, I will still probably have to run some windows programs sometimes. What's the deal with Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware etc?

Thanks in advance and please pardon a coward who's afraid to make the plunge.

Sam
Sorry, as I didn't read your original post before my long-winded previous post (getting tired... Bowling League earlier tonight)... anyways.

I will answer with your corresponding question # :

1. Yes. That being said depends on your specific needs in an OS/hardware

2. Depends on what you are using this for (on site work, home computing, both, travel, etc)

3. 100% compatible with MS Office suite. I do not know what Visio is, but again google research tells me that .vsd files are not Mac compatible, but there is a cross-platform (Windows/Mac) program called ConceptDraw7, which can use converted .vsd files in xml. (If you explain the program to me, maybe I can offer some more ideas).

4. There are quite a few open-source database management systems for the mac - click here to view a list of them.

5. I do not know the exacts of networking on a Windows based network, but as I stated before... depends on server OS. (burbon helps anyway wink )

6. Thunderbird - 100%

7. Firefox - 100%

8. I'm so jealous you have the Palm Treo. smile , and I've never used the Mac version... being that my IT buddy that owns the only Palm I've played with had it on a workstation with Windows.

9. love Boot camp so far... Parallels and VMware no personal use yet, but "heard" Parallels is the best!

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Tony -

Thanks a lot!

I'm running a peer-to-peer network, so there is no server. At the moment, 3 PCs, a laptop (that can connect wirelessly or wired) and a networked Printer. Everything has its own IP address (192.168.1.xxx). A wired/wireless DSL router & hub tie everything together.

dBase was the industry standard for many years for database management. Most database programs could read their file format (.dbf). dbase had a version for the MAC way back when, but I never heard good things about it.

Visio is a drawing, network diagramming program. I use it to create sreen shots for class room work - Graphical representation of communication concepts. I find it works better to show pictures to help describe ideas.

I plan on using the mac mostly for home use. I thought about a laptop......for no good reason. ( Because they look so slick?)

So what will it cost me to get started in Macland?

Hardware costs:
Cost for a desktop or laptop......?

Software costs:
I'm going to need MS office or some other software that reads/writes word & excel.
Cost......?
Is there a viable Star/Open Office for the MAC?

Cost for Boot camp or Parallels.......?

Thunderbird & firefox should be free. I'm not sure about the Palm Treo software.

What other software will I need to buy?

What other software SHOULD I buy?

What should I expect a whole package to cost?

Sam

ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS I LOVE MY MAC

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by anthonyh:
ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS I LOVE MY MAC
wink
Me too... but all CAPS must mean you really love it!
:rofl:

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,315 CTX100 install
187,088 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 153 guests, and 368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024