Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a co workers win 2000 laptop that I networked with the other machines at the office. I can connect to any other machine from this laptop but when you try to access the laptop from any other machine you are prompted for a user name and password.

You do not need a password to log on to this laptop as administrator at boot.

I am not aware that win 2000 could even do this. Where the heck would I look? The guy who originally set up the laptop doesn't remember.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Try enabling the guest account under local users and groups. W2k was always a product for domain controllers which pushed these policies out to the desktop, so you may need to play around with it.

Make sure you are creating a share of your own and not just trying to access \C$, for example. You could also create an account w/ a user name and password, assign to the "share", and have clients access with the account you created.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Win2K has very strong security. XP just built upon it. You must set up a share drive with password.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
You probably just need to enable the guest account. By default this is off and anonymous shares are disabled. You will still need to create a new share after you enable this account.

Heres the instructions

https://support.gateway.com/s/NETWORK/shared/Network/6002154faq47.shtml

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
I checked that, the guest account was always enabled and I created a new share. Still no good. Funny I never had a problem with XP. The CG who set up this machine doesn't even know what's going on.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Make sure that the guest account does not have a password assigned to it. You can clear it by hitting change password and leaving the password boxes blank. Also check on the security tab of the share that the guest account is a member and has whatever privileges they need assigned to it. Under the sharing tab, make sure permissions are set to "everyone" "full" and remove any other members that may be in there.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Hal -

I had a problem with my network at home sharing files to a PC. ALLN1 helped me out. See the thread in this forum titled "Home Network Question".

Essentially my "Shared Docs" folder was set up properly, but it wouldn't share. ALLN1 had me create a new shared folder and that worked fine.

I also had grief from ZoneAlarm that was shut off but was apparently still blocking traffic. I had to completely remove it form the machine to even be able to ping it.

I went to the Mac for my prime machine and I've never looked back. All those Windows problems and issues are just gone.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, it's me. Told ya I'm no CG. The guest account was not enabled as I swore it was. That got rid of the password requirement but I still can't access C. I'll keep playing.

Like I said I never had this problem with any XP machines which were new out of the box. I think somebody has been fooling around with this one.

-Hal

You will need to create a "new" share in order to do this. You can name the share anything, such as "C drive".

sph Offline
Hal, I would check the network setup. That would be in Control Panels -> Network and Dial Up Connections -> LAN connection (or something similar). Click on Properties, on the General tab there is a list of "components used by this connection". Make sure "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing" are installed and checked. If they are not installed, click on "Install" and add services and components.
Also, if you don't use a Windows Server, make sure that the user name and password that you use to access the pc exists in both machines (the 2000 and XP machine). If you do have a Windows Server with active directory, it may be a whole other ballgame related to Security Policies.
Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,436 Shoretel
188,259 CTX100 install
187,072 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 93 guests, and 122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024