Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
I'm running XP and have found that my Magic Jack runs flawlessly when it is the first application that I start. If it is started after other programs, it becomes unstable (comes and goes as it pleases). In most cases, I can open "My Computer" and simply hover the mouse over my "F" drive and it starts back up. Sometimes, I may have to go as far as right-clicking on the "F" drive, but it still starts back up without further intervention.

I've set my system to allocate more memory for "background" programs, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. I've also set the system to not allow power management to kill the USB ports when idle.

I've used all of MJ's canned support options and none have had any effect. As I'm typing this, It has stayed on-line for almost an hour as my primary program running. Have I missed something?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

1. Press CNTL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager (Processes tab will be active)
2. Select the Magic Jack's process from the list
3. Right-click and select "Set Priority"
4. Bump the priority up one, i.e. If at "Normal", then set to "AboveNormal"

I would be a little cautious about setting anything to "Realtime" as it can make everything else horribly sluggish. Same goes if you set several things to "High".

Follow the same steps to return the priority level if things go awry. BTW, I would also change the memory allocation from "Background" back to "Programs". Also make sure that Visual Effects is set for "Adjust for best performance"

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Is your F: drive an external harddrive? If so, it is probably the power management setting on the computer or built into the harddrive that spins the harddrive down to save power. I'd recommend moving the magic application (if it has one) to an internal harddrive. AFAIK, external harddrives that spin down after inactivity, that setting cannot be adjusted, even after disabling power management in the device manager.

OP Offline
Hawk, the F: drive is the actual MJ unit, identified as a "mass storage device". There is also a virtual G: drive associated with it.

Tim, I went ahead and tried what you suggested. I'll check back with my progress. Thanks for the help.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Windows prioritizes processes the same way any OS does; an algorithm called most likely to run. It is a stat maintained for each process whereby the amount of time spent in the que versus CPU time is used to calculate a process priority for the next run state. You can, as Tim stated, set your own priority at the risk of monopolizing resources for other processes.

Ed Did you happen to call the Magic Jack tech support line?

Mike

OP Offline
Mike, I hope you were joking! :rofl:

Anyway, it appears to be back to working like it should since I adjusted the process priority level. Thanks again, guys. I knew I'd get an answer here.

Now that I'm beyond this issue, I've started having some trouble with my car.......... laugh

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ed, I was joking. I could hardly keep a straight face when I posted. Like they would even have a clue about what your problem was. MJ support does not exist...does it? As far as the car goes your on your own. If it has grease on it in it or any where near it I don't want anything to do with it. That's what mechanics are for.

Mike

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Sorry Ed, pre-EGR only!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,313 CTX100 install
187,087 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy), 167 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024