Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi folks,
I'm an I.T. guy who's trying hard to learn the telecom side of things, and I'm always confused when people refer to a "trunk" and also "supertrunk".

For example, our current data provider has a line item on our invoice titled "Supertrunk Channel Ter/DS1"

I think I get the DS1 phrase (that's Digital Service Level 1, i.e. a T-1 line, right?).

Can someone define the two terms - "trunk" and "supertrunk" for me and how they probably apply to my ISP?

Also, do you have any suggestions on how I might go about learning more about datacom - i.e., are there any good books on the topic, video tutorials, etc.?

Thank you!
Ed

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Never heard the term here. It's got to be a term made up by that provider. My guess is that it is a dynamic T1.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall one carrier pushing their T-1 trunks that were ESF (as opposed to AMI) as "Super Trunks".

There may also have been some talk of PRIs, as opposed to standard T-1s as "Super Trunks", but I think either way it was all just marketing-speak.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sometimes the best approach is the direct approach. Ask them what they mean by the term, and ask them to show you a reference.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Same here term is not one I ever heard.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Maybe they are referring to bonding multi T-1"s.......

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-Inter-Tel
Moderator-Inter-Tel
A "Supertrunk" is basically a T1 line that is not PRI. You get the full 24 channels. I run into them from time to time out here but they are usually older circuits.

They can be a real pain to configure because they are so configurable, especially when a system has defaulted. I've never had a provider able to tell me exactly how one should be setup. It's usually a crap shoot unfortunately.

Admin
Admin
What Styx1 said...old school T1 with 24 in and out channels. No caller ID. Alot were setup as E&M4 but AT&T switch interfaces in our area require the customer equipment to be programmed as DID trunks but would also allow outbound service on the channels. Haven't seen any in years since the acceptance of PRI formats. Blast from the past.

[Linked Image]
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
I've seen Supertrunk most referred to by AT&T, so it may be a marketing name coined by AT&T for their 24-channel T1. Like everyone has said, you don't see them too often. PRI is much more common now, and can deliver more features (like caller ID), as others have mentioned.

The chan term you reference how they describe each end of the circuit. If you look at your Customer Service Record, you'll see two addresses for the chan term, one at your site and the other at the central office (unless it's a point to point between your sites).

Justin

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Here are a some terms and couple of factoids.

SF = Super Frame
ESF = Extended Super Frame
AMI = Alternate Mark Inversion
B8ZS = BiPolar with 8 Zero Substitution
PRI = Primary Rate Interface
ISDN = Intergrated Services Digital Network
E&M = Ear & Mouth

A PRI/ISDN T1 is provisioned as ESF/B8ZS. It can contain as many as 23 "B" (voice) channels and 1 "D" (data) channel.

A T1 that that features Loop Start, Ground Start or E&M can support up to 24 channels. If compression is applied on both ends of the circuit, the number of channels can be increased.

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,795
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,008 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (jsaad, Professor Shadow), 164 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024