web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Now I'm really starting to get confused ;-))

I thought ALL bandwidth services connect via a DSLAM either located in the CO or a remote DSLAM standing alone somewhere outside near a curb.

Does HDSL work the same way as ADSL in that it uses a higher frequency (atop the phone service frequency) that was once idle, until someone figured out how to make use of it.....

Btw, when did the 1st generation of HDSL come along?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Let’s see if we can fix that there corn-fusion for ya.

Originally posted by local_host:

I thought ALL bandwidth services connect via a DSLAM either located in the CO or a remote DSLAM standing alone somewhere outside near a curb.
“ALL bandwidth services connect to DSLAMs” is WAY too broad to be correct. ADSL or SDSL (where offered) do in fact ALL connect to DLSAMs in the C.O. (or remote terminals) … but others such service that could be called “bandwidth” such as Metro Ethernet or Integrated Access Service (the data part) do not.

Myself I wouldn’t technically refer to a T1 as really a “bandwidth service” … That’s a fixed pipe in my opinion. In cases where you’d be getting a data service from an ISP via a T1, those connect to Frame and/or ATM switches normally rather than a DSLAM.

Does HDSL work the same way as ADSL in that it uses a higher frequency (atop the phone service frequency) that was once idle, until someone figured out how to make use of it.....
HDSL and ADSL work over a high-freq and that’s really where the similarities stop… ADSL does ride over voice-trunks or POTS (plain old telephone service) at frequencies high enough not to interfere with voice communication or signaling… Whereas HDSL would never be superimposed over a POTS line. HDSL has a single use of delivering T1 over copper… And the copper pairs it uses are strictly dedicated to THAT T1 circuit.

Myself I’m not exactly sure… I first heard of it myself about 7 years ago… but at that time I was working in a group that was dealing exclusively with DS0/sub-rate circuits. At that point in time I wasn’t paying too awful much attention to it. I have some older books here… I’ll see if I can come up with an approximate year.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Couldn’t come up with the best time-line for HDSL deployment… Best guesses on what I have available and talkin’ to some folks here that have worked “DS1 and above” longer than myself. Here’s my best guesses.

Mid 90’s for deployment of HDSL to take off… Although it looked to have been developed around 1989 but was slow to take off.

Early ’00 for HDSL2 … 2002 or ‘03 is the year that seems most popular by memory ‘round here.

Around 2005 HDSL4 was starting to be deployed here.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,288
Posts638,794
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,350 Shoretel
189,000 CTX100 install
187,391 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024