Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#261892 07/30/09 05:32 PM
atdjohn Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a PRI in service frpm Verizon and cannot seem to get faxes to go through on a consistant basis. it seems like every third or fourth fax does not go through and large multiple page faxes (like 15 pages) gets about half way through and the fax machine itself gives an error message and terminates the call.

This is happening at several different faxes and at three of our seperate campuses.

Of course Verison says "Duh--I Dunno!!"

Any help would be appreciated.

John

John
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#261893 07/31/09 12:39 AM
This is a classic symptom of frame slips on the circuit. Voice calls are not affected but fax/modem traffic is. Check your alarm/error registers. And slips are always the premise equipment's problem. Make sure your PRI card is slave to the carrier's timing.
Mike

#261894 07/31/09 12:40 AM
Do you have a regular PRI or is it one of the newer IP PRI's? The IP PRI's seem to still have issues with faxing. I do not know if Verizon does, but most of the major CLECs have issues with faxing over the IP PRI's.

Steve

#261895 07/31/09 01:36 AM
atdjohn Offline OP
OP Offline
TampaSTEVE: I am assuming it is a regular PRI...does that help?

John
#261896 07/31/09 04:55 AM
as mforrence said, check your circuit for errors. then double check your equipment configuration. and, watch those assumptions, they'll bite you.

#261897 08/03/09 03:45 PM
Check for timing errors, they will have minimal effect on voice calls but cause tons of issues with fax and data transmission. As mentioned you want to make sure you are clocking from the network

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#261898 08/04/09 02:03 PM
Originally posted by atdjohn:
TampaSTEVE: I am assuming it is a regular PRI...does that help?
No.

How long has this been happening?
How old is the circuit?
What type of interface do you have between your telecom hardware and the telco network? List any pieces of equipment that are sitting between your equipment and telco.

#261899 08/04/09 03:11 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally posted by tampasteve:
Do you have a regular PRI or is it one of the newer IP PRI's? The IP PRI's seem to still have issues with faxing. I do not know if Verizon does, but most of the major CLECs have issues with faxing over the IP PRI's.

Steve
I have been beating my head against the wall on this subject for years. Regardless of the carrier or the equipment being used, VoIP does not carry analog data (fax/modem) reliably. The longer the call, the less-reliable it becomes. This is because the buffers that handle data errors become full. Once this occurs, it is anyone's guess as to whether the call will be successful. We have been discussing this here for at least two years.

Originally posted by rustynails:
Originally posted by atdjohn:
[b] TampaSTEVE: I am assuming it is a regular PRI...does that help?
No.

How long has this been happening?
How old is the circuit?
What type of interface do you have between your telecom hardware and the telco network? List any pieces of equipment that are sitting between your equipment and telco. [/b]
These questions are difficult to answer since the equipment that existed when the customer purchased the circuit and today may have changed. Many LECs and CLECs change their PRI circuits to VoIP or "soft switches" without the customer having any knowledge of such activity. Worse yet, toll switches (CO-type switches between central offices) get converted to VoIP where even the owner of the end-office switch doesn't have a clue. That is when the troubleshooting process really gets fun.

"We can send or receive faxes in town, but if we try to send or receive one anywhere else, they usually fail."

This is because any analog data sent out of the local central office is routed through one or several VoIP toll switches handling the call.

We had an incident here about three years ago where the simple "beep" of a particular brand of voice mail was of a frequency that was interpreted by a new Verizon-owned Nortel soft switch as a disconnect signal. A call from anywhere that happened to be routed through that toll switch got knocked down as soon as the VM said "beep".

MarkK probably remembers this one.

Until VoIP is a universal transmission medium that works, and is managed by people who are speaking the same language, I can assure you that it is not our friend.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#261900 08/05/09 01:26 AM
atdjohn Offline OP
OP Offline
Checked the clock issue and it is set properly (actually it was doen that way at the time of the install) and still no luck.l...called Verizon and got the usul blah-blah talk.

I am really in a pinch as the customers seem to think that we do not know what the heck we are doing.

Funny thing our sites that use AT&T PRI as the local provider do NOT have any problems at all, just those sites thatuse Verizon PRI..

Any thought?

Thanks as always

John

John
#261901 08/05/09 02:07 AM
Originally posted by EV607797:
[quote]
We had an incident here about three years ago where the simple "beep" of a particular brand of voice mail was of a frequency that was interpreted by a new Verizon-owned Nortel soft switch as a disconnect signal. A call from anywhere that happened to be routed through that toll switch got knocked down as soon as the VM said "beep".

MarkK probably remembers this one.
Oh, I remember that type of incident too. We had exactly the same issue with a Verizon Nortel soft switch and the beep...about two years ago if I remember correctly.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,173 Shoretel
188,992 CTX100 install
187,380 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Bob3470, justbill), 98 guests, and 394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024