web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Okay the story begins 7 years ago. I had a T1 line but I had to disconnect it. Recently I found out that my ReachDSL provider offered T1 Lines for way less than they used to cost when I had a line before. So I ordered it. They are a CLEC but they buy the line from AT&T. Anyways AT&T came out and said the line was ready to go so all I needed was IP information. In the meantime I had bought a Cisco 1721 router with CSU/DSU module. Well my provider informed me I needed a router with ATM protocol. So I had to buy a new router which I found on eBay for cheap. It's an Adtran Total Access 608 3rd gen. So I plug in my old cat5 cable that was still there and it seemed sluggish after plugging in the info. Provider logged into my router and said there was errors on the line. So they suggested before calling ATT for a trouble ticket, I should try a different Cat5 cable. I wired it up at the network interface exactly as before and it doesn't even pick up the connection at all. However if I plug the old one in and wire it back up at the NI it gets a signal but I get errors. I had it wired in the NI with blue and white/blue on bank 1 or whatever its called and green and white green in bank 2. I then noticed today that the manual for the Adtran says the pins for RX ring and tip are pins 1 and 2, it was using pins 3 and 6 before which somehow worked but has mega errors in the line. Which on the router side are white/orange and orange. Not white/green and green. The TX seemed to be fine because it says to use pins 4 and 5 and they are already screwed down in the NI (blue and white/blue). So I had my dad help me rewire it out in the NI that way but it didn't work. I am pulling my hair out. please help!!!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Move the router to the network interface and plug it in. If it runs clean, then your issues are with your internal wiring.

OP Offline
Okay but what do I plug into the smart jack itself? Do I have access to that or does AT&T lock it?

OP Offline
All I have access to are the red green screw box.

Online Content
If you're coming out of the NID your pins will be 1&2 receive and 4&5 transmit to your T1 interface, no matter what type interface it is.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Well the tricky part is that we had to strip the one end of the cable and hard wire to the NID. If I found a short cat5 with 2 end already on can I connect directly into the smartjack? I'm not sure if its locked or not. It would be a lot easier than running off those pegs or whatever they are called. Also the cable runs I am using are about 50 feet. That should be okay right?

Online Content
There should be a jack to plug into on the NID, you shouldn't have to hardwire anything. 50 feet is well with-in limits. Search this forum for more information on T1 wiring or RJ48X wiring.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
I found a pic of my smart jack when it was installed 7 years ago. But it looks the same I think.

https://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/6612145?c=333272&ret=L2ZvcnVtL3JlbWFyayw2NjEyMTQ1

OP Offline
Okay making progress.. Sort of. In the next pic we unplugged the blue wire from circuit 1, it was not going to anything. Then we plugged in a cat5 cable directly to the router. The green light came on but no net access. What are we doing wrong??

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Kamakzie/P10106891280x768.jpg

OP Offline
Under interfaces on the Adtran the LCV line code violation is going up fast and furious.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,787
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,109 Shoretel
188,988 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Carl Navarro, Toner, James D.), 117 guests, and 156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024