web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
I have a customer who has had the same system with a PRI for eleven years. Every year, like clockwork, their PRI goes down and won't come back up. Every time this happens, we have to get Verizon to come out and they realize that the NI2 protocol has somehow been changed to NI1. This happened again this past Monday.

We got them to change it back to NI2, but now they can't dial ten-digit local calls. They are only able to dial seven or eleven-digits. Verizon can't figure out what is going on and has just about thrown their hands up, blaming our equipment as usual.

Keep in mind that we haven't changed anything on the system other than the obvious swapping out the PRI card, etc. How I figured out that it was only ten-digit calls that were affected is a miracle, since they don't have seven-digit dialing in this area.

Can anyone think of something that I can throw at Verizon to get them pointed in the right direction? By the way, the PRI is coming from a DMS100.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Ed on inbound issues they can check table digman, outbound have them run a "traver" from your trunk group and check the calls. Also try marking the calls " unknown" instead of "national" and see if the helps at all

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Ed,

I assume this is on a vodavi?! I remeber have to change something from CO to ITU on a cutover not very long ago. I can't remember what it was for the life of me and I don't have remote access for the site right now to look but I thought if I responded to this that the CO/ITU might ring a bell with you.

OP Offline
Thanks, Gary. I tried all three settings (CO, ITU and Unknown in flash 45) while I was on the phone with Verizon as they monitored our call attempts. None of the changes had any effect.

Oh, and yes, it is a DVX+4 that hasn't been touched for years. Verizon broke the circuit's settings and now it has become a vendor issue. The proverbial "MBSWWYPBX". The customer is over $500 into our wasted time on site at this point.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
If I had a nickel every time this happened with Magix....

OK, seems to me that carriers like to do housekeeping or otherwise groom their circuits once in a while. This tends to happen over weekends and perhaps more than once a year. It also seems that certain customers always fall prey to this practice (remember that Magix only does Custom and that NI2 is the norm these days).

What I have found in multiple cases is that one way communications--whether from the switch to the CO or vise versa--has ALWAYS been a protocol screw-up at fault.

Tear it down and rebuild if they must...just like they did when they messed up the circuit to begin with. I strongly submit that there is a problem in the protocol config that isn't bi-directional.

Now I'm no C5 guy, but I'll bet Ant or someone could tell you how this happens. All I know is what I've experienced and that experience is solid. It IS a telco protocol def issue.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Ed any resolution? Can they provide a d-channel trap (protcol analysis) if so fwd me a copy

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
OP Offline
After ten days and numerous conference calls, etc. and thousands of dollars spent on-site for billable technician time, Verizon has basically said that ten-digit dialing cannot be accommodated for local calls with the NI2 protocol in a DMS100 office. Yeah, OK.

The very same protocol that this customer has had in place (and working) since 12/16/2000.

They insist that local calls must be seven digits and all others must be eleven, period, despite the fact that we are in a ten-digit area for local calls.

The customer is frustrated and is asking us to simply reconstruct their ARS/LCR so that the ten-digit dialing that they're accustomed to will be back to normal. They are basically asking us to fake it by inserting/deleting digits. God only knows how the unnecessary 1+ calls will be handled and billed.

Is this pathetic or what? The customer is willing to pay us to make up for the shortcomings of VZ. When does it end?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The story is beyond pathetic. It's downright scary.

Please don't let them get away with this...

They are giving the folks who work for the same company and still care about the customer such a horrid name...

Raise the holy h@ll to Seidenberg if needed, before he retires...

Good luck.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
I agree with ajkula! The truth is most of the knowledge has retired or been riffed, leaving only people who try (well, most try)but don't have the background to make things happen.

Best of luck to you and your customer

I don’t know much about the DMS world but in 5ESS we did periodic generic upgrades. Normally customers’ line and trunk translations would be moved to the new generic issue with no problems. Occasionally there would be functions that were not supported as part of the retrofit program. These changes would need to be reapplied manually once the new program was installed. This is a stretch I’m guessing that this could be what you are experiencing. I’d try to find out if the DMS recently had a program upgrade. In the old days paper copies of any unusual translations were kept at the local C.O. or in the center handling the translations for that switch.

I agree with “whynot”. The experience has probably retired or is not able to offer any expertise since the translations work is being handled in a mega-center. Do you have any local Verizon contacts who could refer you to some local technicians who may have done translation work in the past?

Gary
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, curtonpond, Curlycord), 77 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024