web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello.

I’m looking for a good reliable dell switch for my servers however I don’t need all the features listed in the powerconnect 5300 switch. Does the powerconnnect 2700 switch have the same reliable as the powerconnect 5300 but with just fewer configuration options?

My main concern if they are both have the same reliability for basic switching needs and if the only difference between the powerconect 5300 switch is more options.

The main differences I can see are:

1. Spanning tree
2. SMNP
3. Few more configuration options.

I'm really looking for is a good quality switch that is not going to break or cause network delays. I don't really need the features in the 5300 switches. Does this seem like the Dell powerconnect 2700 would do the trick or is the Powerconnect 5300 substantially better in reliability as well over the powerconnect 2700?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Then just get a cheap switch from any number of online sites. SMC, Linksys, Netgear, the list goes on and on for unmanaged switches.

~r

I would look into the trendnet switches. I haven't had any trouble with these and they are a good price as well.

All In One Communications
Mustang, OK
The one thing I would say about an unmanaged switch is that it can make network issues a little tougher to trouble-shoot. There's been many times I've needed to check stats on a switch port to see which system is sending large amounts of data, or if there's a bad switch port or configuration mismatch causing problems. This can be done from a server as well, but if you have a lot of them it makes it a bit tougher.

I use mostly Cisco switches in my shop, though I suppose any managed switch would do. I just happen to know a little about the Cisco IOS, so its what I use.

Having said all that, I do have 1 Dell PowerConnect 2616 switch in place that I reluctantly used since it came free with a Dell equipment rack. I've had no problems with this switch, though I've lost the direct management that I like.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
The 2700 series will function as a manged or unmanaged switch. By default it is unmanaged but you can boot into managed mode by using the management button. This switch does not have SNMP but it does implement RMON which is more robust than SNMP and can be used for troubleshooting and monitoring. It also supports link aggregation so you can bond mutiple trunks together and therefore increase the avalable bandwidth to and from the switch over those trunks. It also does support VLANs and port mirroring. The reviews on this series look to be good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024