web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
I recently took on the task of installing 2 Cat5e cable runs specifically for the purpose of installing 2 wirless access points in the courtyard of a local inn. See Courtyard Here

One of my duties was to call the CG of record at the Inn to explain what he would be expected to purchase and configure and I would do the actual install. In other words he was to bring the access device, connect it up using standard patch cable to the network router and then I would haul it up to the remote location later and properly install it.

Well the first thing I wasn't comfortable with was his choice of a Lynksys network router. I have nothing against Lynksys however I would have preferred a true Access Point instead.

Yesterday 6/20/08 the CG came by and did his thing while I was elsewhere. The CG and the property owner were not able to get the signal they wanted right there at 10ft, but they figured it would be better when it was moved further away from the other network devices. If I had been there I would have brought them to their senses by correctly explaining that if it won't work there it dern sure ain't gonna work way over yonder, but I wasn't so that's that.

I go today and do a fine job of installing the unit where it was supposed to be. All nice and neat, well protected, thief proof and antennas exposed. Sure enough you can just barely get a low signal at 15 measly feet. no walls or obstructions.

Well you can guess where this is going! I'll have to call the CG and request that he evaluate whatever it is they evaluate and the first thing he will focus on will be the cable. I have no worries there, I'll run a test on the cable in front of him if need be but what I want to do is move on to the real problem and get it resolved.

Please advise me with information on a wireless router as opposed to a true access point and any other information you might have.

One more thing of importance. I have a social relationship with the owners of this location and if the access point does not perform I will be cooking for myself and I don't want to do that again. help

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

John, the main difference is that an router can hand out IP addresses via DHCP and an access point does not do that. You can use a router as an AP by turning DHCP off, but you can not use an access point as a router. With that being said, Linksys is a consumer grade product and will perform as such.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
So to clarify what jeff just said. A strict access point can not hand out addresses but a typical consumer access point does and will. The reason being so may wireless users these days and all the "free" wireless access requires some form of simple NAT security for the providing LAN.

You can change to a better signal spectrum by using "paddles" or "yagi" antennas and directing them properly. Those little sticks suck for this kind of project.

Links for research.

A forum
A Vendor
A Wiki

Actually no. As jeff said, most AP's do not support dhcp, most APs simply sit on the lan and passes through this information once the client authenticates to the AP. And for all intensive purpose, whether he installed an actual "ap" or a router with an integrated "wireless ap", it does not matter; as long as it is configured properley.

As far as signal is concerned, if you are going to amplify with some sort of antenna, you dont want a yagi or paddle in this instance. Those are typically used for directional communications and in your instance youre going to want something classified as "omnidirectional".

However, all that being said. If youre not getting signal 10' feet away there is something else going on and amplifying the signal may only make it worse.

Troubleshooting wireless is a far more difficult task. For instance, a common problem, is multi-path return to the AP. In other words the signal is so strong its bouncing off all the walls and creating multiple paths between the AP and client; so in some case, throttling down the power increases performance. But without a very expensive "spectrum analyzer" all this is simply conjecture.

good luck.

This sounds like a situation where enterprise grade lightweight access points and a wireless lan controller would be the best solution.

The WLC handles many of the tasks formerly handled by the individual access points, as well as coordinating all of the access points connected to it. The WLC is aware of all the access points, and interaction between them, and can adjust power levels, and frequencies to minimize or eliminate interference. The WLC also handles VLAN and SSID mapping, and access control.

The LWAP is simply an RF section with minimal intelligence, with all of the control functions handled by the WLC.

I'm more familiar with the cisco products, but other vendors make similar systems.

A better word for a router in this case is a gateway. It is a one armed router that passes traffic from one LAN segment to another. In additon it can be a DHCP server. BUT - it can only work on one subnet and it can only forward from one subnet to another. Now picture two of these. You see the problem? They would both have to be on the same subnet and then they would both become hopelessly confused because their ARP tables and routes would be in total conflict with each other. Let's say you split your net with a 128 subnet mask and had two nets now. These devices are not so sophisticated as to figure out the proper routes and you cannot specify a route via a table. They are one ended devices and nothing more. Add to thios that you can only specify one gateway on any host. What does the gateway do? It passes it off to "its" gateway which is the other router - you get an endless loop of packets going down the drain.

It is not like you have a choice here. Two routers of the consumer electronics variety you are dealing with will *not* work. You need access points. You require access points. The gateway will provide you NAT and DHCP and connect you to your ISP. That's it. You can go one wireless router standalone or 1 router and 2 access points. I tend to use several APs just for good coverage.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Grider -

Test the wireless unit back in the telephone room. Plug it in directly to the switch and then try it. Prove to the customer that it's only providing a 15' radius of service WHEREVER it's located. That'll get you off the hook.

Testing the cable in front of the customer doesn't prove anything to him - You say one thing and the CG says the opposite. Proving the unit doesn't work ANYWHERE is (should be) another story.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
The customer will probably return the items and show up with another 2 routers. IMO the only way to approach this is to explain that the devices are absolutely unsuitable to task. Plus APs are cheaper. As for the signal distance, I see this a lot with Linksys. Often the antennas are just dead. The QC is not so good IME. I stick to Netgear wireless products. The RangeMax series has been pretty reliable. When the cusomer is wrong, they are wrong. They are trying to make a simple, straightforward install into a mess that will cost you money in the end.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I used to install network systems into hotels. We never installed a wireless router. Always access points. GOOD access points and a WLAN controller.

I hate to say it but Cisco is the way to go...not Linksys, but commercial grade Cisco Aironet AP's. They make some nice controllers also.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024