Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I have kind of a strange problem.

Here's the deal: I have a network that every computer and printer (as well as the server) that is connected to the network on a permanent basis uses static IP addresses.

Occasionally there are visitors that need Internet access and the owner wants to provide it to them via a hard-wired connection on their laptop.

There is a Linksys switch behind the router (also Linksys with a single port feeding the switch) that apparently does not have DHCP turned on.

My question is: Is there anyway to determine the IP address of the switch so I can go in and turn DHCP on?

I've tried IPCONFIG /ALL and I still can't see the switch. I've tried the tracert command as well to no avail.

I suppose I can default the switch but this thing has got me wondering if there's a way to determine IP addresses of a particular device on a network.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Bobby

a switch wont assign a IP

you say there is a router there you need to turn DHCP on in the router

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Yup, the router is the DHCP server. You can turn DHCP on with the static IP's and it will assign an IP to the laptop assuming it too has DHCP enabled. I would check to see if it isn't on at the router, that's the factory default.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Do an IPConfig and find out what the gateway address is.

Larry makes a good point , a lot of times I see the LAN address changed if there is a static scheme in place

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
OP Offline
yep DHCP is turned on in the router. And I know it works because I can log onto it with a wireless connection on my laptop. The problem with the wireless is certain parts of the building get lousy signal strength and the owner doesn't want to go to the expense of buying more routers just to provide a courtesy for occasional visitors.

The Gateway address is the router address where you will have to go to turn on DHCP.

When you are connected wirelessly open the wireless connection status box and click spport. It will tell you your adress/subnet and the gateway.

Type the gateway address in a browser and you will get the router login screen. It's password protected.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
The problem with the wireless is certain parts of the building get lousy signal strength and the owner doesn't want to go to the expense of buying more routers just to provide a courtesy for occasional visitors.

Not additional routers, they need an access point, they just plug into a network jack. Many can be configured as a repeater also. They are less than a couple of hundred bucks. Bet if you strategically locate one it's all they will need.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Not sure if this helps, but for Motels, the Wireless Access point I prefer for setting up a Wireless Distributed network are Teltronics TT2400. They're not exactly cheap, but you do get what you're paying for with these babies.

Or as Hal said, if you connect a wireless router to the network by a LAN port (NOT the WAN port), you can use that as a wireless access point. A netgear MIMO wireless G should work just fine...and since G is on it's way out in favor of N, you can probably get one for a good price (A G wireless will work just fine by the way).

Just be sure that you re-assign the IP address so that it doesn't cause a conflict on the network!

OP Offline
Thanks guys. I'll tinker with it the next time I have a few spare minutes.
The owner is in no hurry so if I can't get it to work he'll just wait until he needs the IT guy to come in for something in the future.

Needless to say I don't play around with switches at all. This was just something they wanted me to try because I've set up the network connection on several new computers they bought in the past and this really should have been a simple task.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,787
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,108 Shoretel
188,988 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 153 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024