web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello.

My question is basically is there a way to update the DNS information on the mail server without needing to call the ISP? This may require me to establish a PTR record for this?

I am trying to make it so when AOL does a reverse lookup on my mail server, it will have my domain name.
https://postmaster.info.aol.com/tools/rdns.html

AOL is rejecting our company email and their horrible tech support indicated that it may because of our reverse DNS information not matching the domain name or something like that.

If anyone can help me out, I would sure appreciate it!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Do you have a static IP from your ISP or is it dynamic? Has your ISP created any DNS records for you at all? You don't update DNS information on the mail server. You either need to maintain your own DNS servers, or have the ISP make the updates. But they will not do this if you are on a residential package with a dynamic IP.

If you can provide your domain name I can check for any problems with your public DNS records.

OP Offline
Hi.

My company has a static IP address and we maintain our own DNS server inhouse.

If your search our domain name it translates into the IP address. However on the reverse IP address translates into our ISP name instead of ours.

I guess this is because the reverse IP lookup uses the PTR record which is different than when finding a ip address from a domain name?

So the only way to change the PTR record is by calling your ISP. There is no way to upload the updated information to the web directly bypassing the ISP?
The problem is my ISP has some pretty bad tech support and the people do not really understand this issue.

Thanks.

dnsstuff.com can help you out.

You are to vague, so unless you provide your domain no one can help you out.

Perhaps you can setup outside DNS through a DNS provider. ZoneEdit is a free one that might work for you. Of couse you would have to own that domain name in order to use this. If so you can add MX, PTR, etc., all through their web site.

https://www.zoneedit.com

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Forward DNS (name to number, A type) records are done by DNS server, as given in your domain whois records. You can setup a record to any IP address you wish. (Ditto MX records for mail server destination.)

Reverse DNS records (number to name, PTR) can only be done by the ISP of record to who "owns" that block of IP addresses. Why? Cause RDNS checks with IANA records of who owns the IP block, then goes to their designated DNS server.

If your mail server is on an IP address without any reverse record at all, you can complain to your ISP about it. Many business systems require a reverse record in order to VPN in, so tell them that you can't connect to your office from home after hours do no RNDS (PTR) records. A few game servers do the same.

If it's a large ISP and your mail server is on a dynamic account, good luck. The ISP should provide a generic PTR record, but it'll be their way or not. You have very little leverage. Also: since you're mailing from a dynamic block, AOL will likely refuse your mail anyway.

If you're paying for a resi static IP and running a mail serer, I'd complain, a lot to tech support. Part of getting a static IP is the RDNS, but they'll set it up their way. Don't say anything about a mail server, it's probably not allowed in your Terms of Service. And if you get a static in a designated dialup/dynamic block, you've still got a headache, this is common.

If your mail server is on a business static IP, then I'd refuse to pay the bill until the ISP provides a complete service. With a biz static, you are usually permitted to operate a mail server, check your contract.

Macy Hallock - N8OBG - Medina, OH
I've had the same problems in the past with AOL and Comcast. Your ISP will have to establish a reverse DNS entry for your static IP. I don't know who you are using as an ISP but many of them have a place on their website where you can create your reverse lookup. smile

Samsung Dealer
www.firstcoastbiz.com
You also need to coordinate your names. A lot of simple spam checkers compare host names to reverse and will say it's spam if it doesn't check out.

What that means is if the designated mail server for domain.com is mail.comain.com at IP 192.168.1.1, then when the remote e-mail server does a reverse DNS lookup of 192.168.1.1 it expects to get mail.domain.com

If it gets something else it will think it's an open relay or spoofed or spammer and deny it.

Even if you did have that up you will need to register with AOL if you are going to be doing bulk e-mails, otherwise they will just blacklist you as a spew (e-mail blaster/spammer/etc).

Yourt quickest solution is simply to ask to be put on the AOL white list. I do this all the time with my customers who operate their own email servers. On the AOL postmaster information link their is a link to the white list request. Takes about 3 days.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024