Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Proper English and Spelling
#275115 07/06/06 11:45 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Online Content
I stumbled upon this in another trade forum and thought it looked interesting. Included are a few replies to it:

Push for simpler spelling persists By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press Writer
Wed Jul 5, 5:23 PM ET

WASHINGTON - When "say," "they" and "weigh" rhyme, but "bomb," "comb" and "tomb" don't, wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.

It's been 100 years since Andrew Carnegie helped create the Simplified Spelling Board to promote a retooling of written English and President Theodore Roosevelt tried to force the government to use simplified spelling in its publications. But advocates aren't giving up.

They even picket the national spelling bee finals, held every year in Washington, costumed as bumble bees and hoisting signs that say "Enuf is enuf but enough is too much" or "I'm thru with through."

Thae sae th bee selebraets th ability of a fue stoodents to master a dificult sistem that stumps meny utherz hoo cuud do just as wel if speling were simpler.

"It's a very difficult thing to get something accepted like this," says Alan Mole, president of the American Literacy Council, which favors an end to "illogical spelling." The group says English has 42 sounds spelled in a bewildering 400 ways.

Americans doen't aulwaez go for whut's eezy — witnes th faeluer of th metric sistem to cach on. But propoenents of simpler speling noet that a smatering of aulterd spelingz hav maed th leep into evrydae ues.

Doughnut also is donut; colour, honour and labour long ago lost the British "u" and the similarly derived theatre and centre have been replaced by the easier-to-sound-out theater and center.

"The kinds of progress that we're seeing are that someone will spell night 'nite' and someone will spell through 'thru,'" Mole said. "We try to show where these spellings are used and to show dictionary makers that they are used so they will include them as alternate spellings."

"Great changes have been made in the past. Systems can change," a hopeful Mole said.

Lurning English reqierz roet memory rather than lojic, he sed.

In languages with phonetically spelled words, like German or Spanish, children learn to spell in weeks instead of months or years as is sometimes the case with English, Mole said.

But education professor Donald Bear said to simplify spelling would probably make it more difficult because words get meaning from their prefixes, suffixes and roots.

"Students come to understand how meaning is preserved in the way words are spelled," said Bear, director of the E.L. Cord Foundation Center for Learning and Literacy at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Th ****ry's larjest teecherz uennyon, wuns a suporter, aulso objects.

Michael Marks, a member of the National Education Association's executive committee, said learning would be disrupted if children had to switch to a different spelling system. "It may be more trouble than it's worth," said Marks, a debate and theater teacher at Hattiesburg High School in Mississippi.

E-mail and text messages are exerting a similar tug on the language, sharing some elements with the simplified spelling movement while differing in other ways. Electronic communications stress shortcuts like "u" more than phonetics. Simplified spelling is not always shorter than regular spelling — sistem instead of system, hoep instead of hope.

Carnegie tried to moov thingz along in 1906 when he helpt establish and fund th speling bord. He aulso uezd simplified speling in his correspondens, and askt enywun hoo reported to him to do the saem.

A filanthropist, he becaem pashunet about th ishoo after speeking with Melvil Dewey, a speling reform activist and Dewey Desimal sistem inventor hoo simplified his furst naem bi droping "le" frum Melville.

Roosevelt tried to get the government to adopt simpler spellings for 300 words but Congress blocked him. He used simple spellings in all White House memos, pressing forward his effort to "make our spelling a little less foolish and fantastic."

The Chicago Tribune aulso got into th act, uezing simpler spelingz in th nuezpaeper for about 40 years, ending in 1975. Plae-riet George Bernard Shaw, hoo roet moest of his mateerial in shorthand, left muny in his wil for th development of a nue English alfabet.

Carnegie, Dewey, Roosevelt and Shaw's work followed attempts by Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Webster and Mark Twain to advance simpler spelling. Twain lobbied The Associated Press at its 1906 annual meeting to "adopt and use our simplified forms and spread them to the ends of the earth." AP declined.

But for aul th hi-proefiel and skolarly eforts, the iedeea of funy-luuking but simpler spelingz didn't captivaet the masez then — or now.

"I think that the average person simply did not see this as a needed change or a necessary change or something that was ... going to change their lives for the better," said Marilyn Cocchiola Holt, manager of the Pennsylvania department of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

Carnegie, hoo embraest teknolojy, died in 1919, wel befor sel foenz. Had he livd, he probably wuud hav bin pleezd to no that milyonz of peepl send text and instant mesejez evry dae uezing thair oen formz of simplified speling: "Hav a gr8 day!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response:

So....will people from New England be spelling words differently than people in Compton?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another response:

It's thinking like this bleeding heart leftist bullcrap that we don't need in the country. If you're a moron, then so be it, but don't make me change for you. "No child left behind"...put a band-aid on that bleeding heart of yours, what is going to happen (and is happening) is all children will be left behind the rest of the world because of some dipsh1t little kid that can't keep up. Anfernee Hardaway's name is spelt that way because his mother is too much of an idiot to learn how to spell her own son's name (it was supposed to be Anthony). Are we going to start calling them spelling out yacuzzi because a bunch of Mexicans can't say jacuzzi? Are things going to be spelled differently up here in MA where we don't pronounce "R" and down in the south will things be again different?

I know you put this up as a joke for everyone to read but I felt a need to vent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting reading (and spelling)wouldn't you say?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
NEC search for systems, cards, phones, software, manuals and repairs!
Re: Proper English and Spelling
#275116 07/06/06 12:26 PM
KLD Offline
Heck, who speaks English? ---- not the Canooks (or is that Canucks?), not the NZ Kiwis, not the Auzzies (or is that Aussies?), and definitely not the Americans --- we speak American.

As for the Mainers spelling different than the LA (Lower Alabama) crowd, yeah, probably so --- their American is more colorful than the "Heyump, Mr. Man" around BAA HAAABR (Bar Harbor).

Or a true Taxican drawl, a S D snort, a Jersey nasal twang, --- but justbill will tell you that all these little towns in Nebraska used to have call centers because they were "accent neutral" versus most other areas in the US. You think it is hard to understand the English spoken in "Dell-land" when you call for tech support, try calling the state agencies in California ---

So, amigos, grab your tacos and head south ---

NO SPEEKE ENGLAAY

KLD :scratch:

Ken
---------
#275117 07/06/06 09:33 PM
Online Content
Didn't we go through this same crap about 10 years ago? Then it was called eubonics.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#275118 07/07/06 06:12 PM
I remember that Hal. They even tried to have a Miss Ebonics Beauty Pagent but they couldn't find anyone to agree to be Miss Idaho.

#275119 07/07/06 06:40 PM
Yep
If you can't use spell check or figure out a Dictionary , well Darwin will take care of you ! Hell all you have to do is click google and type
"define syphliss" if you misspell it it will respond with , do you mean syphilis ! How much of a no brainer is that ? :shrug: :toast

My face is so sun burned , I am putting the top up until I stop peeling ! Mom's gonna kick my A$$ when she sees me tomorrow. I can just hear the Lecture . Oh well at least she cares ! cool

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
#275120 07/07/06 07:04 PM
Je ne comprend rien tabarnac

#275121 07/10/06 02:19 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Didn't we go through this same crap about 10 years ago? Then it was called eubonics.

-Hal
Oh, this hits the spot. I deal with it every day down here in beautiful Mississippi. It's all I can do to not get mad, frustrated, disgusted with all the folks I have to deal with who absolutely refuse to speak properly. It's a failed culture. And to make it worse I've been told it's my responsibility to understand them. Like I owe them something. Then they wonder why they're broke and the man is hatin' them...

Words mean things. More so for those of us in a technical line of work.

Richard

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
#275122 07/10/06 02:31 PM
OP Online Content
Thanks for waking up the topic, Richard. This is a subject that needs to be taken a lot more seriously in our society.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#275123 07/10/06 04:33 PM
I keep a thick dictionary on my desk at work . I try to learn two new words every day . It has helped to keep me out of that slang rut . Not that sometimes I don't post with "gotta or wanna" . My 2 cents again ! One of the Techs I meet in class is stopping over at 5pm and we are driving to the Beach ! cool

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
#275124 07/10/06 04:53 PM
Originally posted by MacGyver:
I remember that Hal. They even tried to have a Miss Ebonics Beauty Pagent but they couldn't find anyone to agree to be Miss Idaho.
I heard on IATY network (I'm A Tellin' You network) that the real problem was too many of the contestants wanted to represent Idaho but they wanted to change it to "Miss Ideeho". :toothy:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Most Recent 5 Post
You don't know Jack!
by Professor Shadow - 07/12/20 02:57 AM
SL2100 night mode switching
by teleco - 07/11/20 04:19 PM
Suttle Apparatus Acquisition.
by dexman - 07/11/20 03:59 AM
Headset in-use relay
by SST - 07/08/20 06:33 PM
Partner ACS AA
by mtncomm1 - 07/08/20 04:18 PM
Who's Online Now
31 members (Curlycord, Carl Navarro, Skunky, hitechcomm, Touch Tone Tommy, Mercenary Roadie, hbiss, dexman, Bob3470, Yoda, mongo5150, Professor Shadow, newtecky, Shelbyrich, usedphones, justbill, EV607797, Avidcomm, pvj, nortelvoip, metelcom, Ruben, BTS01, teleco, ThePhoneConnection, Stix1, RATHER BE FISHING, dans, vicbob, KRRath, LoonCreek), 407 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums94
Topics93,809
Posts636,355
Members49,311
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
hornet, LifesaverM, Old Dog No Tricks, Ryan Jones
Newest Members
StevCom, DaleG, jlspeck, Real Estating, ForestHillChurch
49310 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 23
dans 11
Bluewater Sailing
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=5256033
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Servpro Ventura 24-Hour Emergency Service
Free Estimates call us now 24Hours
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2020
Trusted Partners