german Telekom spokewoman waits 3 months for Dialtone
#289168 08/07/07 10:32 AM
skip555 Offline OP
Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
OP Offline
Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Telekom model waits 3 months for phone line

2 hours, 55 minutes ago

A fashion model who features in a high-profile advertising campaign for Deutsche Telekom has threatened to seek another provider after waiting three months for the company to install a new phone line at her apartment.

The 27-year-old model, known as Dora, can be seen smiling brightly in posters across Germany for Telekom's new high speed connection service. But she told Bild newspaper Tuesday she was fed up with waiting for her Berlin home to be connected.

"I'll give them another week but that's it. After that, I'm going to switch to another provider," the model said.

A Deutsche Telekom spokesman could not be reached for comment. But Bild quoted a Telekom official saying they would be in touch with Dora right away.
https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070807/od_nm/germany_phone_odd_dc;_ylt=AvhN_GTN0oWlDTm1HK3fLBQuQE4F

And we thought the US carriers where slow wink

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Re: german Telekom spokewoman waits 3 months for Dialtone
#289169 08/08/07 07:28 AM
Years ago we used to hear stories about how long it could take to get phone service in some eastern European countries (when they were still behind the Iron Curtain). Waits of 2 years or more were apparently not uncommon, or so we were told!

It made the British state-monopoly G.P.O. (which existed until the early/mid 1980s) seem positively fast by comparison.

#289170 08/08/07 09:25 AM
Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Paul, I knew your telecom was government owned/operated. How did they spin it off. Give them a million pounds and tell 'em sink or swim while opening up the market to competition? That is sorta what the government did with the postal service here, except that they keep giving 'em money and don't allow competition! frown John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#289171 08/08/07 08:38 PM
KLD Offline
Almost 40 years ago I installed a couple of phones in a new house, no prewire, on a Saturday, for an Israeli officer attending classes at the Post.

He had moved into this new rental property on Wednesday, we installed on Saturday. He was an upper level officer in their armed forces yet he had been waiting years for even a party line to be available in his home.

Today it is still about 5 working day, the installers cover six days a week, repair seven, in this area. Although I have had business lines up withing 48 hours (new install) and repair within 24, add about another 24 for repair most of the time.

Ken
---------
#289172 08/12/07 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Paul, I knew your telecom was government owned/operated. How did they spin it off. Give them a million pounds and tell 'em sink or swim while opening up the market to competition?
Sort of, but with caveats (e.g. BT is the only provider with a universal service obligation).

The government created British Telecom as a separate entity in 1981 and transferred all the Post Office telephone operations to the new corporation, still government-owned at this point.

Then they started issuing licenses for competing service, the first (and only for several years) being Mercury Communications in 1982. Starting in 1984 the government then floated the majority of BT shares on the stock market and sold it off into private ownership. The government finally sold its remaining minority shares in the early 1990s.

The former government monopoly which lasted some 70 years actually had one exception, that being the telephone system in the city of Hull, which through a quirk of history was owned and run by the city itself.

Many people also don't realize that we had multiple independent companies in the early days of telephony here. The government monopoly (Hull excepted) didn't appear until 1912/1913.

But that's a story in itself. Ed has the full details; I'll post separately here if anyone else is interested.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Most Recent 5 Post
7100 Lan Printer Error
by RM SYSTEMS - 09/28/20 02:27 PM
Caller wait list
by Hofman telekom - 09/28/20 11:27 AM
TDA50G power consumption
by kenc - 09/27/20 01:23 PM
Who's Online Now
25 members (Ruben, JBean3329, justbill, Skunky, vicbob, Yoda, jab1780, BobRobert, metelcom, Hofman telekom, MooreTel, phonman123, Carl Navarro, Touch Tone Tommy, Telesystems, newtecky, EV607797, nortelvoip, hitechcomm, hbiss, aweaver, RATHER BE FISHING, Keyset6, Bob3470, dexman), 284 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums94
Topics93,975
Posts637,356
Members49,356
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
betsy, Cabling Lady, jcorsell, MVSpeed, sherif
Newest Members
xware, Adam19871, tmr-afmk, Big Alan, simsh
49355 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 34
hbiss 12
Ruben 10
teleco 10
ABLE1 10
Bluewater Sailing
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=5256033
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Sold AD
Servpro Ventura 24-Hour Emergency Service
Free Estimates call us now 24Hours
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2020
Trusted Partners