Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#296195 06/23/08 10:07 AM
OP Offline
We have these TV monitors in the lobby of our building set to either CNN, MSNBC or Fox News (rotated). Every other time I walk by there is BREAKING NEWS!. Really? Is everything breaking news? And the drama.... I know the news is a business but do we have to be so dramatic? Sometimes I think my teenage daughter has a secret job as a consultant to the cable news networks. There is a blurring of the lines between news, reality shows, opinion journalism, and the TCM channel.

On a side note (and this is not to start a political debate, but only as an example) I recall all the prognostication of gloom and doom if Clinton became president. And then the same when Bush was elected. You would think the world was going to stop spinning. I got up the next day after both occasions, the sky didn't fall, I went to work as usual. Not to say there was no affect from either event, just wasn't as dramatic as all that.

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
#296196 06/23/08 10:33 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It's all about marketing. I have been keeping an eye on the amount of ad time that exists on network TV news programs. They get everyone primed for "breaking news", but only after five minutes of commercials. The Weather Channel appears to be the biggest offender with the exception of the few actual programs that they run.

The only reason that I paid this any attention at all was due to the fact that I like to catch the morning news before I head out, especially for traffic reports. I just find myself watching more and more advertising and less "breaking news". I timed the total commercial breaks once and for a 30 minute news program, there was over 12 minutes of advertising. The remaining 18 minutes gave us the news, sports, weather, traffic and those silly "reporting live from Rose's Petting Zoo" reports.

I find this frustrating as a viewer because they force us to receive segmented information that will fit into the appropriate time slot. For example, there can be 30 major traffic incidents out there, yet the window alloted for the traffic report is only 60 seconds.

What is perhaps most frustrating is that they will start a report and give you about 50% of the information. They then refer you to their Web site for the rest of the story so they can bombard you with more advertising, like home refinance and bathtub refinishing pop-up ads.

Cable TV service providers are even worse. They take a commercial break originally slated for say 4-5 commercials and toss in bits and pieces of other local commercials (like a bad cut/paste job). They make it look like an accident, but you still manage to see half of what should be there and half of what shouldn't.

I'm all for businesses making money and lots of it, but I'm tired of being treated like a mindless pupped on a string in the process.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#296197 06/23/08 10:55 AM
I agree with both of you.

In addition, I love Fox News. But I am wondering if you can be less then perfect looking and still get hired for an on-air job. Would we stop watching the news if there weren't as many "pretty" people.

I also "hate" the 30 second news spots. If we didn't have ADD before they are giving it to us now by making us expect all of the information we need in the time you can snap your fingers twice.

At times they'll have a really interesting guest on. But by the time they great the person, make some small talk, there is no time left for the meat of the discussion. That of course was fed to us already in the 15 second teasers.

And if they continue to "Cry Wolf" with "Breaking News" every few minutes they are going to desensitize us when there is a problem.

The frustration lies on so many levels but if you are a news junky - you sure do get to see more then you ever bargained for. And when something happens in the world, it takes 2 seconds to get.. the BREAKING NEWS... eek

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
#296198 06/23/08 11:39 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I get BBC America on the sattelite and I tend to watch them - at least for the International news. They're on the local PBS station so I get 30 minutes of news - with NO commercials.

For local news - I'm stuck with the commercials.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#296199 06/23/08 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Rhonda:
But I am wondering if you can be less then perfect looking and still get hired for an on-air job. Would we stop watching the news if there weren't as many "pretty" people.
I think that is one reason so many folks took to Tim Russert as they did. He had an "average guy" look and manner about him even though he was clearly smarter than the average person.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
#296200 06/24/08 07:21 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Steve Brower:
[b] But I am wondering if you can be less then perfect looking and still get hired for an on-air job. Would we stop watching the news if there weren't as many "pretty" people.
I think that is one reason so many folks took to Tim Russert as they did. He had an "average guy" look and manner about him even though he was clearly smarter than the average person. [/b]
ditto

#296201 06/24/08 07:31 AM
OP Offline
I am wondering if you can be less then perfect looking and still get hired for an on-air job. Would we stop watching the news if there weren't as many "pretty" people.
I'm going to admit ...I like the good looking babes. And some of them are smokin hot. erin Burnett on Morning Joe.... smile
That's just marketing.

I also "hate" the 30 second news spots. .....]At times they'll have a really interesting guest on. But by the time they great the person, make some small talk, there is no time left for the meat of the discussion.
ditto. Most of the time they really don't take the time to give the whole story. Then there are the shows with 4 guest commentators. What a mess. People talking over each other, every one is so rushed to get their jabs in. Hard to get a meaningful discussion.

And if they continue to "Cry Wolf" with "Breaking News" every few minutes they are going to desensitize us when there is a problem.
ditto

Could be part of the problem is they are working under an old paradigm. Where whoever got the scoop became a celebrity. Now everyone has access to the same information within seconds. And they still try to claim one news org got the story out before the other.

Then there's the exclusive interview. What a joke. Once it airs, everyone has it.

#296202 06/24/08 12:35 PM
no Fox Noise for me, i prefer the BBC and NPR..

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,737
Posts636,402
Members49,615
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
effedisk, hellbender, Pat Amaral, Zip
Newest Members
AMS Technology C, Chrontel, RonZ1971, Michael1948, lllDez
49,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (Michael1948), 29 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022