Get a free phone!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#298719 11/07/08 06:52 AM
OP Offline
Moving the Billy White Shoes Johnson discussion...

1. Here's what remember as a kid growing up in the 70's... If the Roger Staubach was in the game I had hope that the Cowboys still had a chance.

2. Players were not so thuggish. they didn't taunt so much. Score a touchdown, act like you've been there before, hand the ball to the ref and go to the sideline. Tackle a guy, get up and go back to your huddle instead dancing over him like you just did the greatest thing ever.

3. Personally I'd like to see players penalized for making a call as if they are the officials.

I'm sure some of you have similar fond memories and maybe some complaints.

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Atcom VoIP Demo
Get a VoIP Demo Today
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
What really frosts me is when a player does those kinds of things and their team is being pushed all over the field and being crushed. What kind of an idiot does it take to not understand that their team is being BEAT?

My answer to the idiots--Walter Payton & Jim Brown. The end.

Sweetness? Heard he likes to dance.

Ya I could do without alot of the celebrating and taunting, etc. You got to admit though, some of the things the players come up with is pretty dam funny. Ever see Jared Allen when he gets a sack, the calf ropin thing?

OP Offline
Originally posted by JWRacedog:
What kind of an idiot does it take to not understand that their team is being BEAT?
It's called Narcissism.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
I'll never forget ol' what's his name. You know, George Blanda. How old was he when he finally retired, 42? One thing about him, he could sure as heck save the day. The team would be downtrodden and helpless. He'd come on the field and it would become a COMPLETELY different team! I never saw him catch a pass, but, he threw, ran, extrapoint kicked, kicked off. Heck he even ran back kick-offs! You know what the saying is, "The more you can do for the 'company' the more valuable you'll be to the 'company." John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Ah the Cowboys. I can still slightly remember back when they were The Team. I haven't cared for OR watched them since back when in my opinion the decline started. There was a time I suppose you could call them America's Team. IMO Jerry Jones never owned America's Team and Troy Aikman never played for America's Team.

The team I remember had Roger Staubach in the shotgun handing off to #26 Preston Pearson or #44 Robert Newhouse who could take it up the middle like a runaway train. If it wasn't an option, no worry. Golden Richards was downfield or even more likely Roger just threw it in the general zip code of #88 Drew Pearson and Drew would come down with the ball. You didn't have to sweat 4th down in your own territory much if something went wrong, because #11 Danny White could put a hang time on the punt that would allow you to hit the kitchen before the ball came down and bounceded out at the 1 yard line. He didn't need to do it much though because Efrin Herrera was kicking field goals from inside Dallas' own territory.

Then there was the Doomsday Defense. Harvey Martin, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Randy White aka "The Manster." Also let's not forget about Charlie Waters, Jeffcoat, or a few others.

That was a time that it just all came together. I personally think Roger stayed a little too long at the party, and for me America's Team was gone before Tom Landry retired, although his leadership abilities are above reproach. I'm a little too young to remember much about Bob Lilly or certainly Don Meredith, but it's clear America's Team was in existence long before I knew about them. For me the first regular season game that they started Gary Hogeboom, it was over.

Can't forget Billy Joe Dupree! laugh I enjoyed those Dallas-Pittsburgh and Dallas-Redskin matchups. Regarding Walter Payton, I remember how he would never ever try to run out of bounds; he'd fight anyone along the sidelines, and make them pay! They definately need to get rid of every dome stadium in the NFL! :thumb: :thumb:

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally posted by Bolts Upright:
Players were not so thuggish. they didn't taunt so much. Score a touchdown, act like you've been there before, hand the ball to the ref and go to the sideline. Tackle a guy, get up and go back to your huddle instead dancing over him like you just did the greatest thing ever.
I think that a large part of this is due to lack of maturity. These players are being snatched up from inner-city neighborhoods before they are even old enough to have a driver's license. They go from the projects to the professional gridiron often in just a year or two.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Originally posted by MacGyver:
Gary Hogeboom, it was over.
*Bolt shutters at the thought...*

Yeh, that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for a little run down of the Cowboys from the 70's, when football players were the real thing. Calvin Hill anyone?

When Jerry Jones bought the team and fired Tom Landry.... creepy move.

OP Offline
Originally posted by EV607797:
Originally posted by Bolts Upright:
[b]Players were not so thuggish. they didn't taunt so much. Score a touchdown, act like you've been there before, hand the ball to the ref and go to the sideline. Tackle a guy, get up and go back to your huddle instead dancing over him like you just did the greatest thing ever.
I think that a large part of this is due to lack of maturity. These players are being snatched up from inner-city neighborhoods before they are even old enough to have a driver's license. They go from the projects to the professional gridiron often in just a year or two. [/b]
I agree. It starts at home and in the culture they grow up in where you have to put on your swag, whether have something or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,639
Posts635,913
Members49,591
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
INFORMACOM, TVCTech, joe angi, TommyKay, 電信小吳
49,590 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 8
Toner 7
dans 6
Yoda 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 29 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Best VoIP Phones | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022