Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Anyone see the comercials for a tracking device that you can check the where abouts of your kids(which is the idea they are pushing)? While I think that is a great idea(never mind teaching them to be responsible enough to call and let you know they've arrived, but that's another thread)I find it a scary thought how a would be burgler could use this tool. Could they not attach one to your car and track your movements from a laptop, and then after they have your schedule down, they could monitor your position while they rob your house? :confused:

I'm not even going to touch the other ways this device can go bad....watch devorce rates go through the roof...

728x90 Phone.com
728x90 Your Business Phone Service in the Cloud
This sounds like the frog in the pot of water syndrome to me. :nono:

Online Content
They sell them at Petco. Strap one around your dog's or cat's neck and know where they are at all times. They even suggest throwing one in your car in case it gets stolen or you want to know where your teenager is. mad

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Online Content
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
There is a Lojack-like device that you can have installed in your car. Once you sign up (and pay!) you can log on from any internet connected computer and locate your car.

They recommend it to find your teenagers (or your stolen car).

I think it's idiotic. If you don't trust your teenagers to drive, don't give them the car. If your car is stolen are you going to get it back yourself or are you going to get the cops?

I don't think any of these devices are the end of personal freedom though. Around here we have something called E-Z Pass. You sign up and get a little plastic box that attaches to the windshield then you don't have to stop to pay tolls - just drive through the marked tollbooths and get billed once a month. It's a real convenience and works up and down the east coast (and maybe farther).

When it came out a lot of people wouldn't get it because then "they" would know where you were or had been.

I decided I'm not that interesting. If "they" want to know where I've been, that's OK.

I think E-Z Pass records are available to law enforcement with a warrant. I'm a big believer in personal liberty, but I think some of the paranoia is misplaced. And I say that, despite the fact that I believe that there has been a steady erosion of our personal liberties over the last few years.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Camel's nose under the tent, slippery slope, Sam. frown Liberty or privacy? Or both? John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Resistance is futile!

[Linked Image from img409.imageshack.us]

Online Content
Sam, from time to time I have heard reports that EZ Pass is going to start clocking you from point to point and speeding tickets issued if you were too quick.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
KLD Offline
......and, Sam, your new car has the "black box" and "On-Star"....even tin foil in your hat will not save you from the black helicopters....

help :toothy: :banana:

Ken
---------
How long will it be before the 'hackers' figure out how to disable the 'black box' parts that do not have to do with operating the actual vehicle. Now, see, there is a legitimate service that the hackers can provide. At least in my opinion. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
What "black box" is that? Do I have something new to be paranoid over? I'm already cognizant of the remainder of my eroding anonymity.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Advertising Sponsor
Most Recent 5 Post
How to subscribe to get full access.
by Ruben - 05/05/21 09:29 PM
OS UNI Card Version Question
by RM SYSTEMS - 05/04/21 04:53 PM
summit 100 no lines working
by davetel - 05/01/21 05:11 PM
MICS caller ID
by bditech - 04/30/21 05:57 PM
How do I edit my posts?
by Schreiber - 04/29/21 11:07 PM
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums93
Topics94,373
Posts639,627
Members49,454
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
LEGRANDS COMMUNICATIONS, odin5
Newest Members
Andrea Sau, eos90066, Sonic, ERA, Mackino
49,454 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
defencebyte.com
Antiransomware
Global Test Supply
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 42
pvj 16
Ruben 14
bditech 11
Phone.com 300x250
300x250 Your Business Phone Service in the Cloud
www.aweber.com
landing page builder
Linked Banner to your Product or Website
NordVPN
Advertising Sponsor Spot 2
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Who's Online Now
25 members (CyberLaw, Biztel Cuban Okie Tech, justbill, KRRath, Curlycord, gelehu, pvj, Silversam, hitechcomm, Daniel, JBean3329, MooreTel, metelcom, BobRobert, Skunky, Touch Tone Tommy, dougster, Bob3470, ffej010, ssdr9163, Professor Shadow, Yoda, Mercenary Roadie, hbiss, nortelvoip), 296 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
vpnproxymaster
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2021
Trusted Partners