Sponsored by Atcom
Get a free phone!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
With the huge number of people that are expected to be in D.C. during the inauguration I was just wondering what the cell service providers are doing to accommodate the increased load on the towers.

I'm willing to bet a bunch of people are going to get a "System Busy" more than once during their visit.

Atcom VoIP Demo
Get a VoIP Demo Today
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Oh, I thought you were talking about iron bar hotel, at first. smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That's a very good question, Bobby. I've been discussing business logistics in general with quite a few of my friends in the area. The general consensus is that any service-related business should plan on being closed or at least on limited services. We've had instances in recent history where just a significant accident has crippled our cellular network. Of course, the service providers claim to be continually upgrading their systems, but we really won't know until we test them.

I just remember last new years when we lost not only all cell service in my region, but also several land line central offices due to overload.

There's no doubt that with an estimated 3-5 million visitors to the DC region, there will be lots of cell phone usage. This will definitely be a test of not only the cellular system, but also of the police, fire/rescue and transportation people. I'm afraid it is going to be ugly.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Back around 2001 when I worked for Telstra (the main cell carrier in Sydney Australia) we used to install "micro Cells" on every street corner.

contractors would install the micro cell on the light pole and hook it up to 415V 3 phase.

we would then connect the micro cell to the network by splicing in a single mode fiber connection.

the micro cell's on every street corner would supplement the main base stations

we also used to run "Leaky Co-Ax" systems throughout large buildings terminated in a carrier neutral equipment rack.

When I first came to the states in 2002 & my first phone was a nextel, i thought i was in a third world country.

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
We've spoken of this before, in other threads. Land-line Telephone Systems are designed with a built-in limiting factor. Cellular systems, even more so.

NY Telephone Central Offices used to have a CCS of between 2 & 3. Meaning that any given line could be used for about 3-5 minutes an hour (for the other 55-57 minutes it would be unavailable).

When I built private networks for GTE we designed business systems with a CCS of 6 or higher (minimum 10 minutes useage/per line/per hour). Military or Governmental systems could (but not necessarily did) go higher. I was told once that for crucial stuff they relied on Autovon.

We had a problem once with the switch at the State Government of Missouri. One day it crashed at Noon. The governor was outraged. Post mortem review showed that everyone in the building had programmed their spedd dial to call one number at Noon. (There was an Auto Dealership giving away a car to the 7th caller or something similar). That took this monster, workhorse, overpowered CO switch right to its knees.

No network will handle an overload on the scale you're talking about.

I would think that Communications over non Military/Governmental systems that day are going to be limited.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
When I saw the title, I was thinking that they might be planning to disable the cell network on purpose, so that communications between possible assassins or other sorts of terrorists might thwart any attack.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Rob, shades of one of the books in series by.......Tom Clancy? Special program loaded manually at each cell tower that ignored all calls not preceded by some digit that I don't recall. Seemed like a do-able and good idea at the time, in the storyline. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Do you guys remember last year on New Year's Eve? Nobody could get a call through!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Oh yes, I do remember:

Originally posted by EV607797:
I just remember last new years when we lost not only all cell service in my region, but also several land line central offices due to overload.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I wonder if Obama has any concerns about his physical safety if the SS thinks modifying cell access is the way to thwart an assassination attempt.

Speaking of cell phones and such wasn't Obama all buddy buddy with the ACLU when the discussion of phone tapping and FISA court approval was being discussed daily.

I bet the opinion changes a tad bit if your the guy in the cross hairs of a dern good sniper. :rofl:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,628
Posts635,876
Members49,589
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
BizTelNancy, djboston, dougtech, girlie girl, Jack Damage, SwedaGuy, SynapticSystems, tkalfaoglu
Newest Members
TVCTech, joe angi, TommyKay, 電信小吳, Partswatch
49,589 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 10
Toner 8
Yoda 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (bdunne), 139 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Best VoIP Phones | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022