Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#299071 12/04/08 03:37 PM
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
With all the negative economic news being delivered daily I thought we could all chime in and post something positive about our business.

I think it is true that sometimes in order to survive you need to Zig when everyone else Zags.

Think about this, General Custer was still alive and well when the telephone was invented. Since then a lot of technology and industry has come and gone.

Still today you can see billboards, business cards and numerous other forms of advertising and top dog on that piece of advertising is the phone number.

Business in the next few years will be cutting the budget and no matter what gets cut that phone will sit in a prime location inside the business till the last day. When the phone goes silent the next thing in that business will be the install of plywood over the doors and windows.

I'm not jumping for joy that my fellow man is in for hard times. I'm just trying to find the silver lining in the looming dark cloud. The toys the CG's thrive on along with other so called business tools are gonna go on the back burner.

Get a new blade for the punch tool gang because here in the land of opportunity it is about to be our turn to shine.

Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
I have already moved 4 companies into smaller office spaces in last 3 weeks. Had 2 calls today, first company laid off receptionist and needs to have voice mail answer all calls now, The other is closing 2 offices and pulling some employees back to corp. location and laying off the rest. We are booked thru middle of January and will only accept work from existing customers until we catch up. We have always extended credit once a customer is established but for the first time in 28 years even our best customers are going over 30 days and I'm now going to accept credit cards for balances.
John

i agree with you john how many times have you walked in a big corporate office or it company and some look down at you cause you wear a tool belt they seem to think they were better but the economy good or bad big or small will still need someone to crawl in the ceiling or under the desk to make the phone or pc work.maybe we don't make millions per year but we know that we will be able to retire. cheers

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I like your optimism, John and John. It's true that what we do has been around since 1876 and managed to survive through thick and thin. The phone may take various new shapes or forms, but in the end, it will still be a huge part of daily commerce. The telephone actually sets the trends, it doesn't tag along with others.

I'm also starting to see a lot of downsizing/move activity, but when you think about it, it's the labor that makes the money anyway. I don't know of many people in our business that are rolling in the dough these days (only one until John's post above-now that makes two), but as long as we are willling to adapt to current trends, we'll be just fine.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Wish I could be so optimistic. Here, it's in a "Wait & See" period. The good thing is I should be well rested when it does start to boom. Also if I change trucks, it'll give the time to re-rack it & stock it right the 1st time!

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Yeah, things are slow/almost dead around here...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I believe Peter Schiff is/was 100% correct about what is coming, but I must say at least people will need phones as long as they are in business. call I like the plywood note as the next step ...

Never been busier...

Yes, I'm a frenchie; have a problem with that?? Well, I do!!
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
I foresee a growing number of trunk-slammers, mainly crossovers from the IT field! frown John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
We're staying pretty busy, lots of relocations and downsizing also. Sales are still off from a couple of years ago, but slightly up from last year. I did just lose a long time client on a new phone system and cabling job because I was more expensive than a new guy who came along. $1700! Loyalty is becoming non existent. Prepare to lose jobs based on price alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,686
Posts636,173
Members49,606
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
cotton, JDK, jdkinney, Matt Knight, MCap, neh-telecom
Newest Members
Uranium-235, grahamw, Motel6Guy, JustAGuy, Dialtony
49,606 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 12
Yoda 9
dexman 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (dagwoodsystems), 34 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems & VoIP | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022