Sponsored by Atcom
Get a free phone!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Yesterday, 12-3-2008, (My Birthday btw) for the first time in 105 years beer and/or wine was purchased LEGALLY for off-premise consumption in Greenville!

Link here.

I know it's no big deal to the outside world but you have to understand that Greenville is smack dab in the middle of the Bible belt and many folks around here have always thought the world would end if ever a drop of booze (of any kind) were to be sold again!

Well, the world didn't end and I was able to buy beer today (and keep the taxes collected) in the town I live in.

Atcom VoIP Demo
Get a VoIP Demo Today
Admin
Admin
Happy belated birthday Bobby. I've been in your neck of the woods and the public sale of beer for off premise consumption was as rare as a pink Volvo. I was stuck in Paris for a couple of days and I remember you telling me how to navigate the local economy. :toast:

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks Dave. :toast:

I had forgotten about the Paris trip you made.
Paris is still "dry". :nono:
But that may change in the future.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I remember places in East Tennessee in the '60s. BYOB in a brown (MUST be brown) paper bag. They sold you a "setup" (7 oz bottle of Gingerale & a glass of ice) for a dollar! If you didn't want the ice, you were encouraged to throw it on the floor - they HAD to give you the setup with ice. Pour your drink BELOW the level of the tabletop. Brown paper bag with bottle had to be left on the floor. NOT on the table.

I thought I had fallen into a timewarp or another dimension. They made jack Daniels up the road, but you couldn't buy it OR a can of beer in any of the nearby counties.

Bobby, has the subject come up on the ballot over the last few years? Have the local holy rollers been voting it down steadily? What changed?

I've got family who live about 3 miles from the George Washington Bridge in NJ. They still can't buy beer in their county.

I'm always astonished when I hear about this kind of stuff.

Then again I come from a place where you can buy all the booze you want, but no guns.

Maybe the politicians think you should only be able to have one or the other at any given time?

I'll never understand politicians.

In any event, we hereby welcome Greenville to the 21st Century :toast:

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Well, the world didn't end and I was able to buy beer today (and keep the taxes collected) in the town I live in.

Happy Birthday, glad you could enjoy a cool one! :toast:

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Wow, that is a good one. Happy birthday, Bobby. Sure wish I could be there with you to tip a few!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
That is going to be a wonderful thing to be able to take a cold 6 home. I wonder if the tavern/bar only thing is so the anti's can keep track of the pro's, for purposes of blackmail/extortion?

SS, you know the old saying "Guns and alcohol don't mix". (At least in NYC) smile

John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
Originally posted by Silversam:
Bobby, has the subject come up on the ballot over the last few years? Have the local holy rollers been voting it down steadily? What changed?
It has been quite a few years since it was voted on until it was put on the ballot in the last Presidential election.

In the previous elections it was a full "wet or dry" vote. Meaning if the vote was "For" going wet, beer/wine and hard liquor could be sold.

This time the election was for beer/wine sales ONLY.
(Personally, I can't figure the difference between this form of booze vs. that form of booze regarding the alcohol but that's the way it was).

I think the main reason the elections of the past failed was the fact that there were numerous bootleggers operating "Back in the day". wink

OP Offline
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
I wonder if the tavern/bar only thing is so the anti's can keep track of the pro's, for purposes of blackmail/extortion?
I've questioned the logic of the "on-premise only" policy for many years now.

I think it's a little safer to let people buy their booze, drive home, drink it instead of them buying their booze, drinking it, THEN drive home. :confused:

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally posted by TexasTechnician:
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
I wonder if the tavern/bar only thing is so the anti's can keep track of the pro's, for purposes of blackmail/extortion?
I've questioned the logic of the "on-premise only" policy for many years now.

I think it's a little safer to let people buy their booze, drive home, drink it instead of them buying their booze, drinking it, THEN drive home. :confused:
I agree it was that way where I grew up . It never made sense to me that you could spend sunday afternoon at a bar then drive home but you couldnt by a 6 pack and take it home

BTW Happy Birthday !!
:toast:

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,639
Posts635,913
Members49,591
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
INFORMACOM, TVCTech, joe angi, TommyKay, 電信小吳
49,590 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 8
Toner 7
dans 6
Yoda 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 29 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Best VoIP Phones | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022