AtcomCloud Online Store
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#299114 12/07/08 01:47 PM
OP Online Content
Ever wonder what the story was behind a company's name? We all know about AT&T, IBM, Gillette and Nabisco. But what about some of the funkier ones?

Well, I found this killer Wikipedia article listing company names and etymologies.

Does anyone know if the story about Mitel is true? The explanation of how THX got it's name is a little misguided, but the one about A&M Records is spot on.

Fun stuff in any case!

"Carry others as you climb" -- Tim Alberstein
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Interesting Tim.
Thanks for the link.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
OP Online Content
I like that kind of stuff. When we were in Maine, you probably remember me asking you about the name "Walker".

"Carry others as you climb" -- Tim Alberstein
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
"Verizon – a portmanteau of veritas (Latin for truth) and horizon".

I think they lied.

I don't know what is more interesting about that list:

The fact that I've never heard of most of them;
The fact that I knew as many of them as I did;
The fact that many of them are so painfully obvious.

By the way, I'm not buying the Mitel one. Didn't their name spawn from Mississauga Telephone in Ontario years ago?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
Admin
In Mitel school they told of the origin. Mike and Terry were two neighbors who had a passion for lawn mowers and small engine repair. They lived next door and got tired off running back and forth to each others house to talk so they developed a primitive intercom system between the two homes. Later adding features it evolved into MITEL. Mike and Terry's Lawnmowers. Originaly in Florida.

[Linked Image]
I was once part of a partnership formed to purchase a company, and then sell off its assets to buyers we had already secured. We worked the details out over coffee at a Denny's by Parkland Hospital in Dallas. The name of the company became The DBR Group for "Denny's Board Room."

I don't see COMSYSTEC in there.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I couldn't find it on the list, but one of my all-time favorites: AG Communications Systems

(My apologies for the long post, but I found the story very interesting, and thought this would be an excellent place to share it.)

Almon B. Strowger was an undertaker in Kansas City. The story goes that there was a competing undertaker locally whose wife was an operator at the local (manual) telephone exchange. Whenever a caller asked to be put through to Strowger, calls were deliberately put through to his competitor. This obviously frustrated Strowger so much that he set out to devise a system which did away with the "human" part of the equation. With the help of his nephew (Walter S. Strowger) Almon produced a working model in 1888.

Although Strowger did not invent the idea of automatic switching (it was first invented in 1879 by Connolly & McTigthe), Strowger was the first to put it into effective use. Together with Joseph B. Harris and Moses A. Meyer, Strowger formed his company 'Strowger Automatic Telephone Exchange' in October 1891.

In the late 1890's Almon B. Strowger retired and eventually died in 1902. In 1901, Joseph Harris licenced the Strowger selectors to the Automatic Electric Co. (AE); the two companies merged in 1908.

The company still exists today as AG Communications Systems (currently owned by Alcatel-Lucent).

Long Live The GTD-5! :bow: :bow: :bow:

From what I heard, the Mitel story is true...they were supposed to sell these lawnmowers, but the shipments never arrived.
Funny enough, my dad's name is Jerry Moss, (same as the guy from A&M Records) and we took his picture by the Hollywood Walk of Fame star a few years back!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
interesting thanks for the link

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,686
Posts636,173
Members49,606
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Baron-B, Breneer, dingaling, EV607797, Jase, MED, Mike Robertson, MILLBAX, RANJAN, RootExposure, Tman66
Newest Members
Uranium-235, grahamw, Motel6Guy, JustAGuy, Dialtony
49,606 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 12
Yoda 9
dexman 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (dagwoodsystems, metelcom, nortelvoip), 34 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems & VoIP | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022