Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moral Character
Winning nor losing teaches character.

In all competitions there is usually a winner and a loser(s), more so there is also usually a reason for the winner to win over the other(s).

Society/People garner up excuses to fill the void left by where a reason is missing. They often blame others or something outside of their control and in some cases this is just and other times unjust.

The reason Dallas Academy lost the game was they weren't the better team but because they weren't gave no just cause to be used and ridiculed for selfish gain. A loss is a loss and a win is a win but to take matters to extreme measures serves no purpose it even serves the opposite measure, once all opposing teams are beat, and beat extremely, then the competition is no longer competition. One might say they never were in the first place which makes the better team look like a bunch of sand baggers and nobody likes playing when the chance of victory is gonna always be zero!

Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
Interesting article, Bobby. I've never been on either side of a huge blowout*, so I don't know how I'd react being a coach. istm that this game should have never happened though: a 100-0 score is a clear mismatch.

MNC and Corwyn: losses do build more character and teach more. As a kid I played house and select league soccer. House league was pretty even, but when I moved up to select we played some real powerhouses, like VA Beach. The first three times we played, we lost by 6 or more points and always got shut out. The last time we played we scored one point, but that one point infuriated the VA Beach coach so much that at the end of the game he refused to send his players across field to shake hands. The little Williamsburg team had scratched his flawless juggernaut. Even though we lost that game badly (8-1), we felt like winners that day, and I learned that the big boys are not invincible (Va Beach eventually lost to Hampton, too).

ETA: Bob, you're correct. Wins and losses don't build character per se, but losses tend to lead to self examination more imo.

"We won!"
"Why?"
"Who cares - we won! Woo-hoo!"

or

"We lost."
"Why?"
"Well, let's figure it out so that we don't lose again..."

A good quote that fits the topic here:

"It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life."

-Captain Picard to Data, Star Trek: The Next Generation, “Peak Performance”

The question is more important than the answer.
I find it almost hard to believe the losing team could'nt even score 2 points. I get a picture in my mind of 7 foot tall Amazonian woman playing against a team of midgets.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
In pro sports, it's always the coaches and managers that get fired when the team (read - over-payed players) doesn't do well. I never understood that - sure, in some cases the coach makes bad decisions, other times it's just the team not playing well together.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
I will be short but not so sweet.

The coach did his job. He should not be fired. The losing team needs to put the hankie away and start playing like a team.

Now for a longer version.

My daughters soccer team was losing allot of games. I listened as parents cried about moving their kids to better teams. Complaining about the winning coach seemed to be the status quo. Not me nor my child, did we ever complain once (we just practiced more). Finally when all of these whiny parents moved the kids to what they thought were better teams. OUR team started winning and not just a few but almost every game. You find the meaning you want in this little story. As for me I say SCREW THOSE CRY BABIES!

Good artice B laugh

Originally posted by WRichey:

The coach did his job. He should not be fired. The losing team needs to put the hankie away and start playing like a team.
I have to agree. And why should you tone it down if your kickin' butt? The winning team played to the best of thier ability and the losing team, well, to put it bluntly....sucked

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,738
Posts636,407
Members49,615
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
aaronazatian, bg6214, Jigger, mkpgt, willtech
Newest Members
AMS Technology C, Chrontel, RonZ1971, Michael1948, lllDez
49,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 8
jsaad 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 55 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022