Print Thread
Rate Thread
#308521 06/11/10 01:00 PM
Test-ok Offline OP
RIP Admin-Founder
OP Offline
RIP Admin-Founder
Had to pass this along!

One man from Bluff City, Tennessee came up with a rather inventive way of sticking it back to The Man. It seems that the officer in charge of the Bluff City Police Department's website had gone on sick leave, and nobody noticed when the time came to renew the PD's URL. Whoops.

Computer network designer Brian McCrary, who received a $90 ticket from a speed camera earlier in the year, saw a unique opportunity and seized it, picking up the domain rights from Go Daddy. Want to know what the Bluff City Police Department's old website looks like now? Of course you do.

Full Story

updated Bluff City PD website

Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
#308522 07/02/10 05:53 AM
Funny stuff, I’m sure the Police Chief was not amused. The camera will never be taken down; it’s a cash cow bringing in a quarter of a million dollars a month. My sister in Maryland has been caught a few times on camera, the picture quality is amazing. The upside for her is if you pay the fine, no points will be assessed.

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
#308523 07/02/10 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jimmyv:
The upside for her is if you pay the fine, no points will be assessed.
More proof that they are only after the money. It's not about safety; it's about cash.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

#308524 07/02/10 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Keighlar:
Originally posted by jimmyv:
[b]The upside for her is if you pay the fine, no points will be assessed.
More proof that they are only after the money. It's not about safety; it's about cash. [/b]
A neighboring town deployed a large number of “red light cameras” ... I read an article in the county paper where many city officials were singing the praises of how great the systems are... Stats proved side impact collisions were down significantly, which is good right, since they are installed all in the name of “safety.”... Problem is, rear-end collisions at those same intersections went up. Netting the same or more traffic collisions pre and post traffic light cameras at the intersections. The "success" really was the revenue generated for the city. No one interviewed from the city seemed to take issue with that either. :rolleyes:

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#308525 07/02/10 11:18 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
In NC, state law says the net income from red-light tickets (ONLY) goes to the school district it's issued in! The net is what's left after COURT costs. Seems the contractors, that install & service and send the 'bill' to the offender, cannot have a 'piece of the action', which is apparently the standard arrangement. Once the suit wound it's way through the courts, all the cameras were relocated to other states!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,740
Posts636,414
Members49,619
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Charles Duffy, Station Specialties
Newest Members
RockyTop, Homer Domer, Lane, AMS Technology C, Chrontel
49,618 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 66 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022