Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#309038 09/28/10 09:38 AM
OP Offline
My singer and I are looking to trademark our band’s name and logo... This site Trademark Patent Office has TONS of information about everything you’d seemingly want to know about “trademarks,” but we’ve both gotten overwhelmed and confused researching it on our own. We’ve seen conflicting info as well as suffered from information overload read through all that schtuff... :scratch:

Anyone have any experience with the process and be willing to share tips, advice and thoughts on it?

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
#309039 09/28/10 11:56 AM
I know as far as copyright on music that after talking with the Studio engineer that we dealt with when recording an album he told us that it wouldn't be worth it because he holds a copyright on our music with our permission and we could fall back to him on it if we found that someone was using our music. As far at the TRADEMARK i know it was really confusing when we looked at it and just gave up but talking with a friends friend who was a lawyer was what helped. I would try to go that route and maybe they can put it in EASY MAN terms!!! Good luck I know there is a pile of information on the net and it didn't make any sense to me that is why we ended up talking with a friend about it.

#309040 09/28/10 12:21 PM
Hate to say it, you may want to consult a lawyer. It can be a tricky area.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#309041 09/28/10 03:47 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Make a pre-emptive move. Put the name and logo on paper, with an explanation. Send it registered mail with return receipt requested to yourself. When you get it, DO NOT OPEN IT! Save it for the time you must prove on what date you first thought of and decided to use the name and logo. Best place to save it? Bank Safe Deposit Box, until you are so rich and famous that your group has an attorney on retainer, then give it to him to hold onto.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#309042 09/29/10 07:17 AM
OP Offline
Oobie,
The way I understand it from my bandmate, the copy write process for songs is pretty painless and inexpensive. The number he gave me was $40 per submission which can include multiple songs as long as the submission is for one songwriter or one songwriting team... I don’t know that I’d trust the studio’s engineer word on being protected on his copywrite... I’d think that would only cover those specific records and not the intellectual properties of the songs themselves (i.e. lyrics, chord progressions, etc.)

Yeah Jeff, seems to be a common answer... :bang:

John,
I’ve heard of that one for copywriting. Typically called a “poor man’s copy write,” I guess there could be uses for that in Tradmarking issues too.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,740
Posts636,414
Members49,619
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Charles Duffy, Station Specialties
Newest Members
RockyTop, Homer Domer, Lane, AMS Technology C, Chrontel
49,618 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 105 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022