Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#309663 02/25/11 09:44 AM
jimmyv Offline OP
OP Offline
If you have a favorite charity, please don’t forget about them in these money tight times. If you are looking for a great charity to support, please consider this one . St. Baldrick's Foundation funds childhood cancer research and Chandler is an exceptional young man. Please help him obtain his goal, if you are able to.

Admins, my appoligy if this is not permitted.

Thank You,

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
#309664 02/25/11 02:26 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Not wanting to start a huge debate over this, but it's time that charities wake up a bit & realize that money is tight for a lot of folks nowadays.

Until people are back into a comfortable living arena, that's simply the way it is.

Charities also have a lot of work ahead of them to "clean up their image". It is widely known how little the percentage is that actually gets to the intended destination, with the VAST majority being swallowed up in Administration costs.

Don't get me wrong, my favourite charity is "Children Wish" for two reasons:
a) It doesn't favour one disease over another and
b) It makes a dieing child's last wish come true.

Sure hope we all get back to the way it was in the 80's, but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#309665 03/02/11 02:04 PM
I am somewhat on Dave's side on this.
I research the charity and I tend to try and give to charities with a tangable outcome..local food banks/ shelter programs, disabled veterans, etc.
I actually tend to stay away from medical research charities.
Here is where I will probably get attacked, and if I am wrong in my perseption, please let me know.
Medical research is either
a) done by large firms with tons of money.
b) done by small firms with government grant money
c) universities with private/government funds.

so if a big company does a breakthrough, they will charge a hefty sum to make their money back. (chemo is not cheap, AIDS treatment cocktails are not cheap, etc) and stock prices go up

If a small company makes a break through they get bought by a large company for a lot of money.

If a university makes a breakthrough the university benefits by selling the rights to a private company.

Lets pick breast cancer....there are so many fundraiser for the "cure" (wlaks, races, pink ribbons, etc) that there has to be a huge amount of money going towards the research. But who is doing the research (getting the money) and is throwing money at it really getting us closer to a cure? What if say Glaxo finds the "cure" for breast cancer and they recieved $500million from all of these fundraisers? Does that mean they will give out $500 million of free cures? What about Phizer who also got $500million ove rthe same time and instead of curing cancer they stumbled across a better sleeping aid that they make $$$ off of.
Sorry to sound so cynical, but just my opinion.

Disclaimer: Breast Cancer and the pharmicutical companies I mentioned are just arbitrary and were the first things that popped into my head as annectodal examples. I have no personal opinion of those over anyother cause/company. smile

I am also not commenting on whether it is right for a company to make money off of their R&D to bring a treatment to the forefront, just that I feel that donating money to a company to find a cure that they can profit off of is not right.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
#309666 03/02/11 03:12 PM
I know this is off topic but it is a reply adding to what BillFlippen had to say.
AZT is a drug that was developed by the US government i believe at one time it was used to treat against mustard gas, they sold the patent to one of our great pharmaceutical company's, this drug sat on the shelf, not much use until the 80's when it was found to delay the onset of AIDS. It cost patients thousands of dollars per year for treatment.

This pharmaceutical company paid nothing in R&D yet look at the profits they are making, it's greed at it's worst.

We get old too soon, smart too late
#309667 03/03/11 08:01 AM
Guys,

These replies are not what Jimmyv was looking for when he posted. It was a post to raise awareness of a charity that helps kids and one particular kid. I don't think turning his post into hammering charities and or pharmaceutical companies is the right thing to do. Start your own post and discuss.

#309668 03/03/11 09:41 AM
Excellent point mgere. Let's keep it on topic.

Retired phone dude
#309669 03/03/11 09:45 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
mgere,
Thanks for keeping us on track. aok
Its too easy to get conversational. After all, this was the intent of the post:

If you have a favorite charity,

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,740
Posts636,414
Members49,619
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Charles Duffy, Station Specialties
Newest Members
RockyTop, Homer Domer, Lane, AMS Technology C, Chrontel
49,618 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022