Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#310891 09/13/11 10:08 AM
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
I can only imagine what it is like in Texas.

There is a large wildfire burning in Northern Minnesota - up in the "arrow head" as we call it. The fire is so dense with smoke that they cannot even see how much land has burned. The estimate is 16,000 acres.

Since last night, Canada opened it's window again and pushed the first of two cold fronts at us. With that we have high winds bringing not only cool air but thick smoke.

The smoke has mades it's way into cities as far south as Milwaukee. Areas north of Fond du Lac have visibilities down to 1.5 miles. It's actually getting hard to breath in our building as well as everywhere else.

Since Texas has been on fire for weeks/months... how are you guys handling it???

Rhonda

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
#310892 09/13/11 02:19 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
And here in my neck of the woods the Dismal Swamp is still burning. It isn't as bad as it was because of all of Irene's water. Before she blew thru town, our area was enveloped with burning peat smoke. The only thing you can do is try to stay indoors, but when the smoke comes inside there isn't much you can do.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#310893 09/13/11 03:00 PM
Admin
Admin
I thought we could smoke fairly well as we are usually exposed to it yearly as Mexico and other Central American countries burn their old crops seasonally to prepare for the new growing season. The prevailing winds from the South usually carry it here and it's a minor annoyance for allergies. These wildfires are a different beast. Very Very limited visibility in alot of areas and the allergic reactions are off the charts. The rains can't come soon enough. Never thought I'd be hoping for a hurricane...

[Linked Image]
#310894 09/13/11 03:02 PM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Rhonda--the local TV news just mentioned the Minnesota fires and said that smoke might be seen or smelled here in Rockford. I can only imagine what it's like down in Texas. What a deal!!

#310895 09/13/11 03:46 PM
The really neat (or creepy) part is when the fire is off burning 100-miles away upwind, and you get the ash and smoke falling out of the sky on you. In addition to it being hard to breathe, and everything getting charcoal colored, all the churches simultaneously have sermons where they read genesis. Something about fire and brimstone falling from the sky. LOL

It does make you wonder what it would be like 500 years ago if you saw that. No real long distance communication scheme, and everything seemingly normal until smoke and ash fall from the sky.

#310896 09/14/11 10:04 AM
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
Being in Wisconsin, we don't deal with wild fires too often as we usually get plenty of precip. This year we are pretty dry and with autumn coming and the leaves falling and drying it may only get worse.

JW - did you get the smoke in Rockford? It's suppose to get bad again this afternoon.

I don't know what they did to survive these big fires before modernization. I guess everyone became nomads to escape the smoke and flames.

Not a good thing, no matter what. Everyone stay out of harms way!

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
#310897 09/14/11 11:25 AM
The Chicago radio stations were reporting all sorts of people are having trouble breathing and broadcast it out that people who have problems breathing should stay inside an Air Conditioned building.

I have been outside yesterday and today---I can't see any smoke, nor can I smell anything here in Rockford. The wind seems to be blowing from the west towards Chicago---so maybe that's the reason.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,740
Posts636,411
Members49,619
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
CapeTownCraig, David S McCullough, Deshmukh_San
Newest Members
RockyTop, Homer Domer, Lane, AMS Technology C, Chrontel
49,618 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 90 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022