Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
If MacGyver was a phone installer...
#310948 10/10/11 06:09 PM
OP Offline
Macgyver is a TV character with the uncanny ability to use everyday objects to perform extraordinary feats. He relies heavily on his knowledge of physics to do this. I would like to ask people if they can share with us the MacGyver-like feats that they have performed in installing and troubleshooting phone systems.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
NEC search for systems, cards, phones, software, manuals and repairs!
Re: If MacGyver was a phone installer...
#310949 10/10/11 07:55 PM
I used a spud-zooka to shoot a pull line above an office built in a warehouse once. That was about as MacGyver as I got.

#310950 10/11/11 05:00 AM
Online Content
Last month a customer HAD to move a computer to an area that only had a phone jack, served by a single 4-pair Cat 3. There was no way to run a new wire.
I changed the jack over to a Cat 5e jack, and punched down a 4 pair cable with mod plug on the end to the 66 block, plugged it into the switch, and miraculously got a gigabit connection!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#310951 10/11/11 05:32 AM
Moderator-General
Moderator-General
A couple of years ago, we had a job where they had a ceiling in an office area approx 300' across with the old metal tile that don't come out..they were like hammered in place..and we needed to get a 25 pair across to a closet. There was about 12" above it..We used an RC Car with a mag light taped on top and pull string tied to it and my son drove the stupid thing across the office to the closet..Can't believe it but it actually worked...I was in the closet with a "big beam" and watched the light and told him which way to go..took about 45 mins but it worked...... :toothy:

Bob Wells
WellComm, Inc.

"As long as nobody's dead or in jail, it can't be all that bad ! "
#310952 10/11/11 10:49 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I was running a job in a hospital. The engineering department had their electricians install a 4" conduit for us from the MDF to one buildings main IDF. I needed to get a 1200 pair cable into that building.

The run was about 300' long without a pullbox, a condolet, a pull rope or barely a straight length in the run. We tried snaking it, rodding it, blowing it and sucking it. All failed (set screw connectors lost too much air on the run).

I took one of my son's little battery powered trucks and tied a piece of jetline to the back. It ran fine till it hit the first roll in the pipe and then it turned turtle. I pulled off some foam packing material from a box and tied it onto the truck with some cross connect wire. This filled out the truck so that it filled the pipe enough so it wouldn't turn over. We would run the truck till it got stuck and then pull it back about a foot and let it run again. It took a while, but it got through.

That was a classic.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#310953 10/11/11 11:24 AM
I had an order to put in a 2565Hk (6-button 1A2 key set) with two CO lines, dial intercom, and buzzer. Problem was, there was only a 6-pair in the wall of an old museum, and there was to be no drilling, snaking, etc to get more pairs. The 6-pair was lead/paper, and couldn't be budged.

You need a total of 7 pairs to do this:

T1
R1
A
L

T2
R2
A
L

T ICM
R ICM
L

Intercom BUZZER

Common Bell RINGER

GROUND

Here's the solution:

Use a 66E terminal block, mounted over the outlet box. Plug in the tel set.

Use DC for the CO 1 and CO 2 lamps. Put 2 diodes at the KSU, and two diodes in the 66E block for the lamps. That allows you to use one wire for two lamps.

That's 12 wires (6-pairs) for all the features, EXCEPT a ground. Easy: The sheath of the 6-pair was grounded.

I could have used the ringer for the intercom signal, (or the buzzer for cmb) and/or eliminated the lamp on the icm, but it was a challenge I needed to win.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#310954 10/11/11 11:31 AM
Online Content
Arthur, where did you pull power for the lamps from?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#310955 10/11/11 11:58 AM
10 Vac lamp power comes from the KSU. In this case, I took one half-pair, and fed Line 1 lamp and Line 2 lamp AC through opposing diodes at the KSU end, and matching opposing diodes at the station end.

I had to set the KSU power unit at its highest output (11 volts) because of the voltage loss of the diodes, but the subscriber was happy, and I ran away quickly.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#310956 10/11/11 01:41 PM
Don't know if this is fiction, but I read somehere of a school training a pet rat with a pullstring attached to a harness to follow tapping on a solid ceiling using cheese to run cabling. Both examples of radio controlled vehicles seem like a much better technique.

We have found that a foam 3m sanding block does a good job of cleaning no longer used ink lables off of 66 blocks and wallplates.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
#310957 10/11/11 06:31 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I don't know if this would qualify as a "McGyver" solution, but I did give myself a pat on the back for this one.

We had a situation at a century-old country club that is full of ornate stone walkways and majestic oak trees. An existing 2" rigid steel conduit that was about 300 feet long between two buildings had failed, likely due to rusting and root intrusion. The conduit had originally been installed in the early 1960's. There were two 25 pair IW cables in this conduit that wouldn't budge. We pulled one of them so hard that it snapped from each end about ten feet into the pipe. To make matters worse, we had to replace these cables with a 100 pair PE-89 cable as part of an expansion. Conduit replacement and associated excavation was not an option that the customer was willing to entertain under any circumstances.

We tried all of the usual approaches: Fish tapes, Fiberglass rods, blowers, vacuums, you name it. Nothing was even making a dent in this dilemma.

I called a sewer-rooting contractor to ask them what, if anything that they could do. The guy said without skipping a beat "I can do it for $200.00". I told him to come on over.

He ran his powered snake (1/2") through the pipe without a cutting head. The spiral action of the snake managed to maneuver through the mud, roots, etc. and came out at the far end within minutes. This action also managed to break the cables free of their bonds. We pulled the remaining cable back with the snake (not spinning of course) and managed to retrieve the other cable that had broken. Once all cables were retrieved, he put a cutting head onto the snake and cleared the pipe as much as he could. He then took the cutting head off at the far end and we attached our pulling eye for a piece of 1-1/4" corrugated inner duct to his snake. With gentle forward/reverse twisting, we got the inner duct pulled through with almost no stress at all.

The new 100 pair OSP cable pulled through the inner duct in minutes, the customer was happy, there was zero damage to the grounds. I was even happier. Two weeks later, I received a $500.00 tip from the customer in the mail for (in their words) my "innovative approach to the situation".

It turns out that nobody, repeat NOBODY was willing to approach this task, citing that it simply couldn't be done. At that time, I had no idea that several other contractors had been out to bid on the job. Call me crazy, but I absolutely hate having to say no.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Most Recent 5 Post
NS1000 RENUMBER 600 and IDC GROUPS
by ronaldjamesh - 05/31/20 11:54 AM
Spam Canned Meat Varieties
by dexman - 05/30/20 01:37 AM
Partner ACS T1 module setup
by ChrisRR - 05/29/20 08:32 PM
SL1100/2100
by Derm J - 05/29/20 11:07 AM
APC SU1000XL Operating Question
by EV607797 - 05/28/20 07:34 AM
Who's Online Now
22 members (RATHER BE FISHING, Yoda, hbiss, Ruben, OBT, mongo5150, Curlycord, Tip&Ring, Mercenary Roadie, nortelvoip, Professor Shadow, pdxjim911, Touch Tone Tommy, ronaldjamesh, jeffmoss26, justbill, Serge, KRRath, gelehu, JBean3329, MooreTel, metelcom), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums94
Topics93,729
Posts635,905
Members49,292
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
Buckshot, finlover, hitech-redneck, kevhawk13, Lancomm Steve, sjohnson, techdudeben
Newest Members
swoodsNI, B. Endsley, Abner Dawes, Gringo, Jeffrey Cohen
49292 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 19
Bob-o 14
hbiss 11
Bluewater Sailing
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=5256033
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Servpro Ventura 24-Hour Emergency Service
Free Estimates call us now 24Hours
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2020
Trusted Partners