EMP - Click Here!
Phone.com 300x250
300x250 Your Business Phone Service in the Cloud
Global Test Supply
defencebyte.com
Antiransomware
vpnproxymaster
Linked Banner to your Product or Website
Turn your commission checks on autopilot with 50% RECURRING COMMISSIONS!
Flexibits
Meticore Weight Loss Voted #1.
Get leads. Get sales. Get growing with Getresponse
Get leads. Get sales. Get growing. [2]
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
WELL i must rant here last year i renovated the outside of my house when a week later the city inspector came knocking on my door telling me i had to get a permit,they say its the law,so i know you can't win so i went and got the permit,today my wife calls me and she tells me a city inspector is at the door and since its been a year since the permit expired he wants to come in and look inside to see if i did any reno's inside so that they can re evaluate my house.
I told him he had no business looking inside my house the permit was for the outside of the house and my wife is alone at home and if he stood 1 foot inside Jessie my doberman would eat him up.

I freakin pay income tax hst property taxes i own my house but they still can dictate what you can or can't do on your own land.
there i'm done
and the freakin beer fridge is empty

Meticore Weight Loss Voted #1
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Was this guy an "inspector", as in inspector for the work done according to the permit?

OR

Was he an "evaluator" as in those clowns that go around every few years for property tax purposes?

If the latter, you can't stop him/her forever, BUT you can delay him for a few years. I did. Every time he came around after my divorce I was either not there, or for some reason "just going to work". He never did get in until after I sold the house. smile

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
probably an evaluator

I did extensive renovations to my house when I bought it - upgraded to 200 amp service, new kitchen and bathroom, moved closets and such.

Of course, the electrician pulled a permit for the work. When the inspector showed up, the garage was full of building materials for the rest of the project. The electrical panel was just inside the garage door, and that’s exactly how far the inspector got!

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Long story short, in Kansas City, MO the ordinances are such that ANY repair, remodel, or other upgrade "Technically" has to have a permit. Even a sink washer, screen door hook, whatever. Can you imagine? The city would have to do a FULL inspection/evaluation of every house every 6 months! Fortunately, they generally only find out about stuff that uses utilities, Power, Water, Gas. And then only if the Sparky, plumber, whatever, pulls a permit.

Of course there is always that a--hole that lives next door that thinks you screwed him once and is always looking for ways to get even! frown

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
John, a--holes in Ottawa, the nation's capital? :rofl:

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Moderator-General
Moderator-General
The talk about your "evaluators" makes me think of my uncle who used to be an appraisor for the county tax dept. They used to go around every couple of years and check houses to see if any upgrades had been done so they could "jack" up your taxes...He said they didn't have to let him in the house and people would hide inside and stuff..so he would just walk around the outside and do the appraisal..Told about one guy that came out and started giving him royal hell..called him every name in the book..told him no way in hell he was getting in his house..Ole Uncle Harold said "No problem pal"..he said he went back to his car..put down the evaluation for about twice what it really should have been...I guess when the guy got his tax paper in the mail..his first call was to the appraiser's office...they told him they would have to come out and inspect the property...Guess who they sent out???? Yep Ole Uncle Harold...He said the told the ole SOB..told you I would get in......... :db:

Bob Wells
WellComm, Inc.

"As long as nobody's dead or in jail, it can't be all that bad ! "
Well dave and sentrex, i know how you feel, as a fellow canuk. around here the tax evaluators are with a contract firm that the city hires, its a 4 year cycle. I got an amazing reprieve last year. I had just gutted the powder room the day the guy came, my powder room is just off the kitchen. I told him that i was turning it into a pantry, knocked 15 000$ off the value of my house. saved a little bit of tax there. My city has ridicoulous rules like a surtax on heat pumps. Luckily my buddy used to work for a heat pump install company. they have builders plates that say either heat pump or air conditioner. The tax evaluator isnt going to look deeper. He walked past the thermostat and dual rate light 4 times!

*for our non quebec friends, in quebec electricity hovers around a nickel a KW/H so we have a dual rate meter on a lot of our houses. Above -13c we heat with electricity, below that oil or gas. In my case my electric heat comes from a heat pump, other people have electric grids in the furnace. When it hits -15c we hit the prime rate for electricity, 17c a kw/h. of course you have places like mine where the dryer vent is inches from your meter, and if you run your dryer when its cold out it heats the meter up and you drop back to the regular rate!

Jay, a recovering IT guy
KLD Offline
Similar here but they no longer send out an appraiser unless you pull a permit....like to build a barn, etc.

They use two methods....one is ariel photos in the Fall after the leaves have fallen. The other is computer driven....based on recent sales prices/permit prices of propery in your area.

If you challenge these....usually you win....BUT....it is a long drawn out affair.

Good luck..... :rolleyes:

Ken
---------
well up here we have 2 different tax applications, we have the "welcome tax" named for a beurocrat named bienvenue (which happens to be the french word for welcome) so we get welcomed to the town when we buy a house. its a land transfer tax based on the sale price. Now for our municipal evaluation we do everything to keep it low, and its never based on the market price. Although that sometimes bites you in the ass. Lets say the government wants your yard to build an expressway, they use the city evaluation to set the price they give you when they take your land.

Jay, a recovering IT guy

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Advertising Sponsor
Popular Topics (Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums94
Topics94,431
Posts639,815
Members49,470
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
Extreme, medhat eme, Telephonyman, TonyW
Newest Members
BezLovesITAD, AndreLS, JimLafleur, EssKayKay, xmestedex
49,470 Registered Users
Get Tech Support Now! Click the banner below
Get Tech Support Now!
Top Posters (30 Days)
dexman 13
www.aweber.com
landing page builder
NordVPN
Advertising Sponsor Spot 2
EMP Shield for Commercial - Home & Vehicle
Use Coupon code SAVE - Click Here!
Who's Online Now
16 members (justbill, Yoda, JBean3329, dexman, metelcom, Curlycord, BobRobert, Skunky, NateBates, EV607797, nortelvoip, Mercenary Roadie, Daniel, RATHER BE FISHING, jeffmoss26, newtecky), 160 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2021
Trusted Partners
landing page builder Antiransomware 300x250 Your Business Phone Service in the Cloud