web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#31779 04/20/05 09:47 AM
OP Offline
I have a DX-80 with flash vm installed. Need single digit access to 2 extensions, preferably in a linear mode. (Ring ext 1 for x seconds, ring ext 2 for x seconds, and then go to ext 1's vm.) I found a knowledge base article on Comdial's web site explaining a similiar setup. It talks about editing the trans.txt file. DOS editing is no problem-I've had trans.txt open. But, I cannot find any documentation explaiing what the various codes do.

Any help would be appreciated. Need to install system REALLY SOON.

Thanks,
Scaleman

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#31780 04/20/05 11:26 AM
First of all, complete your profile and tell me your a trained or experienced tech on this or any other system.

The trans.txt file has nothing to do with what you described, you only need to program the UCD group properly to accomplish what you have listed.

Welcome to the board.

Mark

------------------
Reliable Telephone Service

#31781 04/21/05 02:37 AM
OP Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by markk:
First of all, complete your profile and tell me your a trained or experienced tech on this or any other system.

The trans.txt file has nothing to do with what you described, you only need to program the UCD group properly to accomplish what you have listed.

Welcome to the board.

Mark

</font>

Mark,

I think I finished my profile correctly. I'm sort of new to this forum 'thing'. I've been an electronic tech for almost 30 years and the past 6 installing networks, computer systems, and telco equip. We've installed several DX-80 systems but this is the first vm.

Yes, I understand I need to use a UCD group to do the different extension ringing. I created UCD 415 with two extensions as members using a linear ring. I put 5 in the Overflow 2 time and 433 for reroute. I created a new mailbox 415 and set autoforward to one of the two extensions of the UCD group. I then added a line to the trans.txt file which supposedly 'tells' the DX-80 what to do next- which is route the call to that extension and ultimately it's mailbox. If I call in, I do get the first extension ring for about 5 seconds and then the second one rings about that long and I end up at my main greeting (800) again.

Confusing enough?? Is for me!

Thanks, Wayne

#31782 04/21/05 06:28 AM
The MB number where you want the caller to land is the ext. you should put in the overflow destination, then 433 in the re-rout. This will ring first ext. then second then the one with the MB and then land in that MB.
Put your trans.txt file back the way it was.
mark

------------------

#31783 04/21/05 09:35 AM
OP Offline
The MB number where you want the caller to land is the ext. you should put in the overflow destination, then 433 in the re-rout. This will ring first ext. then second then the one with the MB and then land in that MB.
Put your trans.txt file back the way it was.
mark

</font>

Right, wrong, or indifferent, here is what I did and it seems to work as desired:
Created UCD 415 with members 103, 104;
using Linear ringing; Overflow2 time to 9; re-route to 433; all others default.
Added this line to the trans.txt file:
a9byd54=103*,*

This is what I am trying to accomplish.

Outside user calls in, presses "4" for a department. Ext 103 rings about 3-4 times, then switches to Ext 104. After 3-4 rings, go immediately into 103's VM.

Thanks for your help. If you see something wrong with this approach, please let me know.

Wayne

#31784 04/21/05 10:18 AM
Nothing wrong with it if it works, it's just the harder way to do it. If it suits you and the client, it's fine. I don't want my techs tinkering in the trans.txt file unless it's necessary. The problem occurs down the road when changes are made and no one remembers (or knows) of the change to the VM file.
Mark

------------------

#31785 04/21/05 11:19 AM
OP Offline
Nothing wrong with it if it works, it's just the harder way to do it. If it suits you and the client, it's fine. I don't want my techs tinkering in the trans.txt file unless it's necessary. The problem occurs down the road when changes are made and no one remembers (or knows) of the change to the VM file.
Mark

</font>

Yes, but where's the challenge??? If we didn't have to rethink what we did a year ago, it would make life dull and boring. Actually, you are correct. Good record keeping is an absolute requirement.

Thanks for your help!
Wayne

#31786 04/21/05 11:25 AM
OP Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scaleman:
Yes, but where's the challenge??? If we didn't have to rethink what we did a year ago, it would make life dull and boring. Actually, you are correct. Good record keeping is an absolute requirement.

Thanks for your help!
Wayne
</font>

Ah, guess what? A new problem just occurred. While testing, two of us got on different extensions and dialed the same extension and both left voice mail messages. We wondered if it would record them correctly.
1) The called extension only showed 1 message on the DET display. When vm played, caller 1's message played followed by an announcement that the call came from caller 2's extension.
2) The called extension showed 2 messages. Both messages played and they both announced as coming from the same caller.
3) Same scenario; this time both calls announced from the other extension.

We tried this several times and it seemed to randomly pick one extension or the other as the origination of the call. We even shut down Keylink thinking it was interfering in some way.

Ideas??

Wayne

#31787 04/21/05 02:07 PM
I stand by my original comment. I think your making things more difficult than they need to be.
Why are you using linear hunting with only 2 phones? Ring all would make more sense to me, then overflow to one of them and re-rout to 433. Simple and it works. If your trying to share the work load tell them to take turns, really, there's only two of them.
The trans.txt is to define how the system handles incoming calls from the CO lines.
Maybe someone else has a better idea for you, that's how I would do it.
mark

------------------

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,112 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Curlycord), 55 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024