web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Good Day!

I'm new to the world of Comdial phone systems and I'm responsible for moving our current phone system to a new location.

Currently, my company has 20 employees using the phone system throughout the day. The 20 phone locations are terminated on a 66 block and then linked to 3 other 66 blocks which are connected to our Comdial phone system via 25 pair cables.

At our new location, we have 30 phone locations terminated on a 110 block punch down.

My first question is, in order to make the 30 phone locations hot, do I arbitrarily choose a pair of posts on one of the 66 blocks the Comdial phone system is currently connected to and connect it to the white/blue pair on the 110 block, or is there a method to the madness of the 25 pair cable?

The PRI line is a split T1 line and plugs directly into the Comdial FXT1-PRI card.

My second question is, at our new location, we will have 2 T1 lines; 1 PRI and 1 DIA. In order to get phone service, do I simply plug the PRI line into the Comdial FXT1-PRI card?

Thirdly, in order to get our phone system up and running in the new location, is all I have to do is plug the T1 line into the FXT1-PRI card and make the 30 phone drops hot, or am I missing something?

Finally, if you have any good reading material or suggestions for a person recently submersed in the world of Comdial, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

-Garrett

[Edited to correct spelling in Subject, to help with future searches. Justin]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI - Executone
Moderator-ESI - Executone
do yourself and your company a favor, Hire a qualified tech. to move your system.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
Welcome to Sundance Tech-Talk. welcome

Based on your questions I think it is safe to say there are many tools required that you do not have in your possession. You can use the "installer" link at the top of the page or use the PM feature to contact an administrator or moderator for help. Your task is much to complex to handle in the open forum.

You might not even have enough hardware in the system to support 30 telephones/hot jacks. Going from 20 to 30 is a pretty big jump. Moving a 20-30 telephone system is a pretty big deal, I would advise that you hire a Comdial tech for the day, and yes it will likely take a day to do it all. Do you have voice mail? It would be odd for a company of your size not to....do you know what to look for? It would likely be a PC or grey clam shell looking box near the telecom equipment.

It all may look very easy and straightforward, but people go to school to learn this material. Plus, if there are problems when you move it then you have someone there that can fix it rather than trying to find someone to come out last minute for the emergency.

Here are some questions the tech will need:

If the PRI hot yet? Is it even installed from the carrier?

Do you have the translations for the PRI from the carrier? If not, get them

When are the numbers porting to the new PRI?

Do you have an FXT or FXII? (T is a gray tall rectangular box, II is a black or gray cube)

Do you have voice mail?

Do you have a floor plan with ext. numbers on it? If not make one.

Are the new cables tagged, toned, and labeled? If not expect more time for a tech to locate them.

Steve

OP Offline
Originally posted by tampasteve:
You might not even have enough hardware in the system to support 30 telephones/hot jacks. Going from 20 to 30 is a pretty big jump. Moving a 20-30 telephone system is a pretty big deal, I would advise that you hire a Comdial tech for the day, and yes it will likely take a day to do it all. Do you have voice mail? It would be odd for a company of your size not to....do you know what to look for? It would likely be a PC or grey clam shell looking box near the telecom equipment.

It all may look very easy and straightforward, but people go to school to learn this material. Plus, if there are problems when you move it then you have someone there that can fix it rather than trying to find someone to come out last minute for the emergency.

Here are some questions the tech will need:

If the PRI hot yet? Is it even installed from the carrier?

Do you have the translations for the PRI from the carrier? If not, get them

When are the numbers porting to the new PRI?

Do you have an FXT or FXII? (T is a gray tall rectangular box, II is a black or gray cube)

Do you have voice mail?

Do you have a floor plan with ext. numbers on it? If not make one.

Are the new cables tagged, toned, and labeled? If not expect more time for a tech to locate them.

Steve
Steve,

Thank you for your reply. The main reason why I posted this thread was to get an idea of how much work and risk doing the move myself would take. I'm leaning towards hiring a Comdial technician to do the work, but I'd still like to do a bit more research.

Here are the answers to your questions:

We do have a voicemail system. It is the Comdial Small Office Lite system.

I believe the PRI is hot, but we are waiting for the day of the move to switch the IP addresses over.

I don't have the translations yet.

I logged into VMMI and went to About the System and the following is the information I gathered:

FXT-112
System Release: 176
Feature Set: 15C
Network Version: 410

I also checked the board configuration and the following is the information I gathered:

FXSDS-16
FXSDS-08
FXISTM-08
FXLDS-08
FXT1-PRI

The cables at the new location have been terminated and labeled on 110 blocks.

Thanks again for your help.

-Garrett-

We do have a voicemail system. It is the Comdial Small Office Lite system.
Ok, this is likely using digital ports. You can have up to 32 stations on your system as it is configured now. BUT, the voice mail will take some of those. If your voice mail is 4 ports (which it likely is) you can only have 28 telephones. Each voicemail port takes one digital port.

I believe the PRI is hot, but we are waiting for the day of the move to switch the IP addresses over.
But what day are they porting to the new office? That is the day that the carrier has to make your numbers dead at the current office and live at the new office. The carrier will need/set a firm date for this to happen.

I don't have the translations yet.
No problem, just get with your carrier rep and have them email them to you.

I logged into VMMI and went to About the System and the following is the information I gathered:

FXT-112
System Release: 176
Feature Set: 15C
Network Version: 410
OK, you have an FXT, not an FXII. As a side note, the FXT is discontinued.

I also checked the board configuration and the following is the information I gathered:

FXSDS-16
FXSDS-08
FXISTM-08
FXLDS-08
FXT1-PRI
Your system is equipped PRIx32x8 or, in other words, can hold one PRI, 32 digital ports, and 8 analog ports.

The cables at the new location have been terminated and labeled on 110 blocks.
Good. If they are not labeled it can be a pain. If you use a tech make sure to let them know that it is on 110 blocks and your system is currently on 66 blocks.

Steve

OP Offline
Thank you all for the suggestions on hiring a Comdial installer to do the move. I took your advice and the phone system move went quite smoothly.

Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (hitechcomm, nortelvoip), 189 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024