web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi all, I'm new to the board and phone systems, so please excuse my question!

We run a small business and for various reasons (the challenge being one) I'd like to connect our DCS816 board to our phone lines myself. I've familiarised myself with the installation manual and I know that the DCS was previously connected to at least two lines. (There are 6 internal extensions).

Basically, all I need to know is how to go about wiring our UK (BT) phone system up to the Samsung DCS. Interpreting the manual's something I've tried, but without the benefit of experience, its not the easiest of tasks. So I'd really appreciate anyone taking the time to give a guide as to what I can do.

I'm fine with electronics and wiring, just want to make sure I get started right!

Thanks for your time, would be great to hear from you.

Mark

------------------
No matter where you go,
there you are!

No matter where you go,
there you are!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well the wiring up is the easy bit, BT will present each analogue line on a single pair, connect these to the Blue & Whites and the Orange and Whites that come from the large 25 pair cable connected to the system. There will be lines 701 and 702 respectively.
Other possibles, your lines are ISDN, or you have more than two lines. There is one card that sits in the right hand side of the cabinet standing vertically. If fitted, it will be either a 2 or 4 BRI (ISDN) or 4 or 8 TRK (Analogue). These lines connect on the following pairs, orange, green, brown, grey, then start again with Red\White, etc. If you have ISDN lines you will need a BRI card.

Hope this helps !

OP Offline
Hi Tailor and many thanks for your reply!

I've had a chance to look at the KSU as left by the BT Engineer I can see pairs of wires, but as to what's going where....Well the connector board has 10 rows, each with 10 connectors.

I can see on the connector board where the old BT lines were connected. How do you physically remove/attach wires from/to the connector board - I've not used a punch down tool before, though I understand this is what's needed.

The BT engineer that installed the new lines seems to have left some bare wires sticking out at the very top of the connector board - the colours of these correspond to the pairs you mentioned I should have.

So I'm unsure as to which wires I should be pulling out, from where to connect into the connector board.

I hate to admit defeat on this - its seems like I'm really close to getting this apparently simple thing done.

Thanks for any help you can give

Mark

No matter where you go,
there you are!
Hi Mark,

With regards to your system, please see
my replies below;

"I can see pairs of wires, but as to what's going where....Well the connector board has 10 rows, each with 10 connectors"

That would be your BT Distribution Point.
The strips that you refer to are called
Krone Strips and each single pair of wires
represents a possible Analogue telephone
line. (10 Pairs per Krone Strip).
You will notice that each strip has a top
and a bottom connection row.
The top is where the incoming feed from
BT is delivered from and the bottom is
generally where you would punch down or
jumper sockets or your telephone system
to.

What should have happened from this box is
that the BT engineer should have installed
two sockets for your lines.
These need to be traced back to see which
pairs he has 'jumpered' the lines to.
If the DP is yours alone, you should be able
to see two pairs of wire jumpered to the
bottom row of the Krone strips somewhere
in the box.

"I can see on the connector board where the old BT lines were connected. How do you physically remove/attach wires from/to the connector board - I've not used a punch down tool before, though I understand this is what's needed"

For this you need a Krone punchdown tool. You can get nasty cheap ones from B&Q which
simply push the wires in or you can order the from Wadsworth Electronics (020 8268700), Mayflex (0800757565) or order them
off Ebay.

"The BT engineer that installed the new lines seems to have left some bare wires sticking out at the very top of the connector board - the colours of these correspond to the pairs you mentioned I should have"

That sounds wierd as BT should always terminate the incoming feed for you. Are
you sure that they have finished the job?
The colour code will be similar to the
samsung equipment cable but I believe that
the wires that you are talking about are
your incoming lines.

Have you terminated your Telco feed cable
off yet? This should be terminated as per
the instruction manual page 2-4. You will
need to terminate the cable onto 2 and a
half Krone Strips.

"So I'm unsure as to which wires I should be pulling out, from where to connect into the connector board."

If BT have left these unconnected, phone them up and tell them to get back. Sharpish!!

Hope this helps,

Mike

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024