web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#442433 01/09/09 02:48 PM
aarenot, I think I see what you are saying now - instead of laying out the wires to take the straighest shot to patch panels/66 blocks (I'm learning guys;)) in the IDF/MDF rooms, you'd route them around the room a bit, like a big U-bend, to take a longer path. Doing this above a drop ceiling wouldn't be visible at all. Am I close?

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#442434 01/09/09 03:30 PM
Exactly, 4 entry paths (N,S,E,W) to the MDF/IDF, cables from the north loop around to the south entry path, S to the N, E to the W, W to the E before using one of the 4 entry paths. You may not need as many as 4 paths, but you get the idea. The length to get around to the opposite side of the MDF to the far entry path is designed & laid out to be the length of the required HSL Horizontal Service Loop. If you end up needing the length you can simply re-terminate the cable after pulling it back, and re-routing it via the closest entry path rather than the one around the other side of the MDF/IDF. This is all above the drop ceiling, and can be laid out ahead of pulling any cable to ensure you can pull the cable simply as far as you need to, and no farther since your service loop is pulled in already when you get to the MDF, add enough to reach the floor after you get to the rack, and cut it off. No more trying to organize, comb, seperate, make look good a bunch of loops you make by hand & try to hang vertically without making an eyesore. I started doing this years ago, and have never had an issue, in fact not creating coils of cable is probably better when it comes to a performance standpoint of the cable itself. I will never put another vertical service loop without charging extra for it becuase it takes more time to do than a HSL.

I can not recommend any technology platform, only technicians!
#442435 12/21/10 10:05 AM
When cabling, I leave acsingle small loop at the jack end ( tie wrapped up in the ceiling) and at the closet end I wont leave a loop, but I will hang a J hook or two so that the cable goes the long way down to the rack. This way if you take the cables off the J hooks, you will have an extra 3-5 ft. That in my opinion is enough - not too much.

JBRD
#442436 12/21/10 11:49 AM
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
BTW:You are responding to a post almost 2 years old...

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
#442437 01/21/11 08:44 AM
I am with clgjr,

No one in my company asked me when I was apprenticing I just thought, it made sence and told my supervisor about it and he agreed. Having a cable long enough to exit any port at any part of the walls in the office made since. Leave a 2 foot loop in the wall, and the rest curled up above the ceiling.

#442438 10/17/11 09:39 AM
I don't leave service loops. What i do is bring the cable to the consolidation point in a round about way. Run the cable strait down and over and then back up and terminate all the cable lenghts are equal, this gives you a few extra feet. I did some work for a university they called service loops shoody and did not won't any on ther Campus. Because their SHODDY and end up making a big mesh. argue

#442439 10/17/11 10:19 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Okay this thread was started in 05 and we have the same topic a few rows down so lets close this one.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,796
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,013 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 129 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024