web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#442670 05/09/05 03:09 AM
OP Offline
Hello all,

I'm new to this thing and I'm having problem troubleshooting an installation.

Here's the setup:

Incomming line from Bell Canada's demarc to a front plug of an IBDN qcbix1a. In the back is the GW\WG pair going to a wall jack. GW\WG pair is connected to the wall jack using the red and green wire of a RJ11.

This setup works correctly (it's the internet connection, Bell's aDSL. )

Right next to the GW\WG connection in the bix is a BW\WB connection, which is wired to the wall-jack right next to the previous one, and the BW\WB is connected to the wall jack in the same fashion. This is the fax wall jack.

The fax just doesn't work. I know that I should have a connection between the GW\WG and BW\WB pair to make it work. When I punch a pair between the to connector's at the punch-down block, it doesn't work.

How should I wire those to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
David 'NetShaman'

David 'NetShaman'
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#442671 05/09/05 10:15 AM
why dont u get a 1/1 line splitter stick it the jack 1 that works and plug existing item in 1 and the fax in 2

#442672 05/09/05 01:08 PM
DSL here in USA uses a small filtering splitter that one plug attaches for DSL and other connects to fax or other none DSL equipment.

------------------
Voice and Data Cabling in DFW, [email protected]
DnR Communications

Voice and Data Cabling in DFW, [email protected]
DnR Communications
#442673 05/09/05 01:23 PM
Yeah, sounds like he is saying that this is a DSL line. The fax should work (but will disrupt the DSL) if you either plug it into the DSL jack (GN-W pair)or bridge the BL-W pair. I think that is what he did and it still doesn't work.

Maybe this is not a POTS/ADSL line? Also I would use a regular single line telephone for testing until you get the wiring to work.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#442674 05/09/05 02:28 PM
OP Offline
Thank you all for replying.

I think I didn't word the situation correctly:

Internet jack (GW/WG pair) works great. It's pair is coupled with a BW/WB pair coming from the demarc, labelled as 'Internet/Fax'.
Knowing that Bell's DSL is a mixed line (normal phone and internet in the same band, seperated by a filter).

Fax jack is dead (no dialtone, no noise from the DSL when I don't connect the filter.)
I tried to beep the line using a tone generator and a probe, and the fax pair (BW/WB) works great.

Problem is: the Fax pair is not wired to anything in the punch-down block.

Situation is: I must connect both the 'fax' and 'internet' pair (because they use two seperate plugs at the front desk) to the same incomming line.

Question is: How do I do that ?

I already tried using another pair of junk wire to 'bridge' from the WG to WB and from GW to BW, but the line is still dead. I don't know how to wire the punch-down block.
Can I punch two wires in the same space ? Looks like it doesn't work.

------------------
David 'NetShaman'

David 'NetShaman'
#442675 05/09/05 03:40 PM
Admin
Online Happy
Admin
Do you have a proper BIX tool? If so you can turn the small round black "dial" at the back of the tool 1/4 turn which locks the "scissor" of the tool. You can then punch your jumper wire down on the first pair and then multiple it to the second pair where you'll punch & cut the jumper.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
#442676 05/09/05 07:36 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Test for continuity from the jack to the WB/BW pairs at the punch block.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024