web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Packet Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok as I am cheap and need one of these tools for wiring my own house. I only want to pay for one tool head.

I may be wrong but I recall that within our networking 10BT networking closets that jumped on 110 blocks I learned that this is possible if you start at left side of the 110 block?

If you can understand that u should win something...

Is it possible or a bad idea to use a 5 pair termination tool on 4 pair blocks starting at the left side of 110 blocks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If you're just securing the c-clip, the 5pr head is fine. I don't think I've actually seen a 4pr head. I wouldn't use the 5pr tool to punch down jumpers or cables on top of the c-clips though. Use a normal 110 tool, one wire at a time.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I have always centered the tool on the appropriate clip when seating it. There is only one tool head and it is 5-pair. I like to center it so that impact pressure is also centered. Keeping the head to the left or right seems to cause end-pairs to not be terminated properly due to the impact angle. Repeated impacts to correct this ends up cutting through the ones that were OK at the beginning.

As Clinton said, never use this tool on the front (top) side once the clip is properly seated. Use the one-pair tool from that point forward.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
If this is for telecom 110 blocks it's ok to use like mentioned above.

If you are planning on using it to terminate to a pcb board with a 110 adapter on it, I dont suggest using it at all. Just so we are aware Leviton and a few others will not honor a warranty if the terminations have been made with a meat cleaver, hammer or what ever you want to call it. the statement I have made applies to patch panels and those home center media box connections.

Packet Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks cause I have not installed the C-Clips ever just the jumpers using the 110 single punchdown tool. This left to right concept had been put in my head by some other higher up the ladder type.
And he did mention something about the caps or the top of the C clips becoming mangled if not done right. So it sounds like its a one shot deal and best to be 90 degrees perpendiular to 110 block centerd on the C clip with no obtuse angles or pressures.

I noticed leviton claims you can use the 110 single punch down too for the premise wire punching too but that it may be more difficult and time consuming than a meat cleaver.

I plan to use it for 110 blocks with legs but have seen pdf showing the rear or cat5e and cat6 patchpanels which I will need for the data network LAN.

ev607797
I noticed while reading thru another post about 66 vs 110 vs bix that you mentioned 110 being more difficult to use a toner to trace than 66. I am sure you are correct about toning as the metal conductors are more exposed on the 66. This other same higher up employee helped me once find a tone on one out of 700 connections in a closet by jamming the reciever peice that had a metal tip on EP2000 into the C clip position. This was on a long cat5 run. And thus we found the proper connection. I noticed other EP2000 models etc some had the plastic tip and these would not fit.
Upon telling our boss this was how it worked he didn't like the description of jamming or forcing one into the C Clip.

I physically traced somewhere around 2500 jumper wires across many 110 blocks in 1 month in many main closets within the large edu medical center with large headache doing it. Then it took the additional 5 months of the job toning port line from hubs out to end users gathering their ip number etc. Many thru 5 closets on multiple floors. Sometimes finding the other emp was already changing the jumpers around and having to retrace them.

At tht time they often ran both phone and data on same cat5. Many different responses from end users finding me digging behind their desks for ports/jacks. Once even killed one cat 3 data connection by toning it which brought a response from the only PC user out of the mac users there, DON'T TOUCH MY COMPUTER!!.

Once I accidentally toned an old pbx line and near the ER and nurses began coming out. The older partly retired teleco comm cable installer said do that again as he liked the results. Which I did and they came out again wondering what type of alarm it was now.

Packet Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually we had 3 terminal type connections on VT terminals or "dumb" terminals but don't remember seeing any 3 pair C clips though they exist.

I know why we had 4 pair C clips most the time now and the older installations had 5. With the ultimate style being 5 of #4 pair Clips for 20 pairs and 1 #5 pair Clip to make one of the 25 pairs at end for the telephone guys.

The 25th or in the other case the 5th of each Clip didn't involve our premise wire. Point being we got one extra cat5 connection this way vs 4 #5 pair Clips with only 4 cat 5s.

I realize again that to communications guys using multipair cables this is irrelevant. So since I'll be using 4 pair cable I think I'll go with 4 pair C-Clips. Found one for 80$ on the web here.
https://www.hometech.com/tools/tppunch.html

One would think I could go to tooltown and buy a cheapinese one for less.

I find them at pawn shops real cheap

KLD Offline
OFF Topic :p

Packet, when toning CAT 5/5e/6 get a banjo and connect your tone to the 4th pair --- less twist and better tone carrying capacity.

ON Topic :rofl: :idea:

KLD

Ken
---------
KLD, I, sometimes, connect one side of my butt set to my watch band and run the other down the block to find my tone. Actually works better than the probe on those weak tones. I know there's suppose to be more sensitive probes out there, but just haven't bothered to look for one. That's on 66 blocks of course. (Sorry I know this is off topic also)

Retired phone dude

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,111 Shoretel
187,716 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, OBT), 57 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024