web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
The forum is great so far. I am getting response, that is very important.

I am a computer consultant located in New York, I also do work in New Jersey area.

I am looking to learn about telephone cabling and eventually telephone systems.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
I thought it would be an easy answer.

For example, there are 25 cables coming from all over the office. Each of the cable have 4 twisted pair. I want to find out how to connect the twisted pair from each cable to the 66 block so it can be connected to the PBX by the phone guys.

I understand the 25 color coded pair, there are 4 clips on each row, briding clips are used to connect the left to the right.

I am not sure what to do with those 25 cables, where do I connect them to on the 66 block.

The thing is, it's not as simple as just knowing the colour code, or what order to punch the cables down. If this is your first kick at doing this sort of thing, even with help from guys on this board, your terminations are going to look nasty. The phone guy is going to be a lot happier if you just let him do those terminations himself. Pay him for the extra half hour, watch and learn. Honestly, you will not be doing him any favours by terminating those cables yourself. It will take you 5 times longer to do it, and there's a good chance he may have to fix your mistakes anyways.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, so please don't take this the wrong way. If you want to learn, you need someone to teach you in person. Anything else will just end badly.

OP Offline
Thank You. This is the first time for me and you are right. I will ask.

I am looking to get a headstart. Some advice to have some idea in that goes where and what connect to what. Thanks for all the comments.

icpeanuts, I can tell that you are determined to do this and all of us phone guys are very particular about doing things the right way so lets get started.

I want you to take all 25 cables and create what is called a service loop somewhere close to the telephone system backboard. For example if all the cables come down from a drop ceiling then this can be done just above the ceiling. The service loop is important especially in this application. If an error is made at the end of the cable then the cable can be lenghthened using the slack in the loop and thus not ruining the entire cable run.

2) Find a location for the 66 blocks on the backboard. You will need at least 3 66 blocks so find a spot that is eye level to an average 6ft person. This location will be permanent and service techs will be dealing with it for years to come. Make sure it is not right in the middle of the board. Other items will go on the board later so leave them room. Your blocks can go side by side or top to bottom. Remember, a lot of techs from now on will be dealing with the location you choose so if you want their respect this is important.

I'll be back after I get a cup of coffee!!

OK, Break time is over, back to work.

You need to know the critical function of the 66 block. Connecting a cable to a 66 block is to create a PERMANENT end to the cable. I cannot stress enough how important this is. Example: There will be a cable terminated on the first eight pins on the top left side of the 66 block. The first one will be White/Blue. From now on any connection that needs to be made to that wire will be made to the pin immediately to the right. The theory behind this is simple. Connections can be made then removed later, then made differently without altering the integrity or length of the actual station cable. Once a station cable has been made correctly is should last till the building is torn down. PERIOD. This tidbit of information is the reason why phone guys don't like "others" wandering around next to the phone board with dangerous items such as screwdrivers and Swiss Army knives.

More to Come, I do like my coffee..

Now we are to the point of actually terminating each cable. Select the cable to be first. Perhaps you have a numbering scheme or a specific order. Feed the cable in the space behind the 66 block either from the top or the bottom depending where they come from. Removee the outer jacket from the cable and untwist the White/Blue-Blue/White pair. The White/Blue will go on the top pin then the Blue/White will go under neath it. Follow suit with Orange Pair then Green Pair and last the Brown pair.
Select cable #2 and repeat. 6 cables down the left side and 6 cables down the right side. In the event you are going to use left side only then you will need 5 66 blocks.

Get a cardboard box for trash, youre gonna generate a bunch of it. If a little voice iin your head says your screwing up, listen to it. The little voices are never wrong.

Now one last thing. Wait until a few other members here post some info. I may have left something out.

When you finish this project take a picture and post it here. I have early stages of carpul tunnel from this and I expect something in return.

Last tip! Wear your punch tool like Matt Dillon wore his gun. Laying it down and picking it up over and over is a sure sign of a rookie.

John

Here is a litle saying I came up with to remember the second color sequence in a 25 pair cable:

When Roses Bloom You Vomit.

When = white
Roses = red
Bloom = black
You = yellow
Vomit = violet

You can also give a number to each color, with white being zero because it is not a real color. Then you can quickly translate the color code into a pair number using Mickey's formula:

Second no. times 5 plus first no. = pair no.

For instance if you have violet/green, then it is pair 23, because

4 x 5 + 3 = 23

Using Mickey's aphorism and formula, can anyone give me the pair number of black/brown?

The first person to answer correctly gets a gold star and 3 feet of black/brown wire.

We
Respect
Buitiful
Young
Virgins

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,324 Shoretel
188,997 CTX100 install
187,389 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024