Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#444811 01/05/07 08:33 AM
OP Offline
Hey all.......
I've been reading posts for the last 3 hours and haven't found a topic concerning daisy chaining a new jack.....I know this is not the accepted method however, I'm currently renting and don't want to invest any more time than I need to and the rental unit is about 30+ years old so, I'd rather not run new wires.

My question.......I have a room with access to the telephone wires in the wall.......I need to install a jack however, the wires are junctioned together at this point so, I suspect they run to the second bedroom. The wires are 2 pair.

How do I wire the jack to allow for new service in this room but, maintain the continuation of service in the 2nd room? I know this is basic wiring stuff but, before I start I want to make sure I have the items I need and as well, make sure this is possible before I move my desk and set up my new office location.

Thanks for any help you can provide. A picture is worth a thousand words so, if you have a link to a diagram, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I am assuming that you want to extend the existing phone line to the second room, correct? The existing jack should have red, green, yellow and black terminals on it. Just run a cable from this jack to the new location and connect the wires under the screws on the existing jack along with the existing ones. If you get quad cable, everything just needs to be connected color-to-color at both jacks. If you get twisted-pair cable:

Green=White/blue
Red=Blue/white
Black=White/orange
Yellow=Orange/white

The black/yellow pair is not required if you only have one line, but it is still a good idea to connect it just in case it's needed in the future.

If you are getting a separate line brought in for the second room, connect this line to the black/yellow (or see colors above). At the jack in room 2:

Black goes to the green terminal
Yellow goes to the red terminal

The red/green in the cable would not be used.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Open the jack in your other room and make a drawing. Wiring color to jack color. Go to your local home supply store and tell them what you want to do. Take your drawing.

OP Offline
Hey ev607797.......thanks for the reply and so quickly!

I already have the wire in the 2nd room......it's just a matter of installing a jack but, I want to make sure the existing connections are maintained to wherever the wires go now.

Can or do I connect or x-connect the 1st pair (red and red, green and green)into the new jack together or on seperate connections and will this maintain the continuation of the wires to wherever they go now?

Thanks again!

It will continue so long as there is no break in the connection. In other words follow the same patern as the first jack but make sure when you cut the wire to make your connection you also include the wire that goes on to the next jack.

All you are doing is tapping off of an existing jack, so unless you are getting a separate telephone number brought in from Bell, you should be fine in keeping everything color-to-color. Just remember, don't cut anything, just tap onto existing screw terminals by looping your new wires beneath them on the existing jack.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
That answers my question and thanks to all!

Cheers!

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,759
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,429 Shoretel
188,198 CTX100 install
187,069 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (RATHER BE FISHING), 82 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024