web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#445024 01/29/07 01:27 PM
OP Offline
As part of my job here at school, I had to troubleshoot some cable tv stuff today. We have a former restaurant turned general use space in the student union. I would say there are at least 10 tv's hooked up. Previously we had a poor signal which we traced to a bad splitter feeding the room. This was replaced with a barrel connection and the signal was OK. I went to check today as the Superbowl is approaching and they wanted to make sure the tv signals were OK. Well, I checked and they were awful. Snow and poor reception...so I first checked the feed (plugged a TV into the coax) coming into the room from the floor below, and the signal was fine. Then I checked the other end of this run where it terminated and it was fine. The line runs to a distribution box and then an amplifier. I checked each connection, and as it went along from feed, to distribution box, and finally to an amp, it got progressively worse. Keep in mind I was testing in the equipment room and not using the TV's in the actual room. So I deduced that the amp is not good. I have no idea why, but we have to call the TV people in from the school to figure it out. All in a day's work smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#445025 01/29/07 03:05 PM
At a residential job in Malibu, reconnecting an old (and I mean old) amp, turned some snowy screens into crystal clear ones. I know that doesn't help you, but the amplifiers are critical when you have that many TVs. I will be installing three at different jobs in the coming weeks. I hope we don't have problems. They are going to be connected to Time Warner and Charter cable systems, and they all need bi-directional because of pay-per-view and video-on-demand.

#445026 01/29/07 08:20 PM
And remember with amplifiers, if they get crud in they just spew amplified crud out.

Luckily you can use one way amps for what you're doing, doesn't sound like you have any two way devices being used.

Check all the fittings, they do go bad, and if it's one feeding the splitter, it'd trash all the downline TV's. I look at it this way, if you don't have the proper signal meter, connectors and splitters are a cheap and quick troubleshooting method. If you replace them and there are still a lot of problems, start bypassing wiring with a temporary run one by one till you find the bad sections.

-Robert F
#445027 01/30/07 12:52 AM
Are you sure the circuit supplying power to the amp was working Jeff?

#445028 01/30/07 02:35 AM
OP Offline
I was just checking out the signal with a TV. If anyone repairs this, it would be the TV guys on campus, not me.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#445029 01/30/07 11:13 AM
Moderator-Iwatsu
Online Happy
Moderator-Iwatsu
Do you have any legs off the amp that aren't being used or don't have TV's connected? Try loading unused connections - I had similar problems aboard ship in my Navy days. Try terming unused connections with a 75 ohm load.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
#445030 01/30/07 11:37 AM
Sounds like you don't have a good enough signal coming into the amplifier. I'd keep checking up stream connections. As some have stated, hard to tell what you're doing without the proper test equipment.

I ran alot of mainline cable and did house hookups a lifetime ago, boy I don't miss that at all.

#445031 01/30/07 12:23 PM
OP Offline
The signal coming to the amp is OK. Leaving the amp it gets bad...I think it's time for TV services or the cable company to figure it out smile

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#445032 01/30/07 04:32 PM
The signal coming to the amp is OK. Leaving the amp it gets bad
That's why I was asking if the amp is getting power or not. If the amp has lost power it actually makes the signal worse. I'm always amazed at how many think that if the amp is unplugged, it just bypasses or is a straight through signal.

Very few amps out there have power indicators (other than the Electroline brand, which IMO are the best) so you will have to check the receptacle.

#445033 01/30/07 07:45 PM
Typical computer guy. :bang:

They actually do make test equipment such as a signal level meter for this you know. You are just wasting your time by using a TV.

If it is your job and your school want's you to do this then they need to get you the proper equipment AND you need to learn how to use it! Might even be a good idea to incorporate it into the curriculum instead of all that computer stuff. You might even learn something useful.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 50 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024