web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#445384 03/22/07 01:43 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Mike L: Yes, there was a BIG wasp's nest inside the upper right corner of the left (large) cabinet. We had to spray and wait about 30 minutes to get close enough to take pictures since the cabinet door hasn't closed completely in years.

AnthonyH: No, the customer decided it was "too expensive" to clean up. There are 14 T1 circuits in there alone and one of the tenants in the building is an interconnect! The tenant's association voted to ride it out, despite the fact that it's been like this for at least 12 years.

Hal: It looks like a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" Greenfield is used from the round box to the NID. I would like to hope that there aren't multiple tenants in that building. No doubt, that's a big-time sparkie job.

I haven't ever seen a telco use Greenfield to sleeve an underground cable though. That certainly doesn't appear to be a Bell thing. The power company in DC and Maryland's immediate suburbs uses Greenfield for underground electrical service risers to the meter. Telcos here either use no cable protection at all or occasional U-guard or PVC conduit.

Like I said, the original picture is actually a pretty clean installation by most standards in these parts. It's mighty tacky to leave a 12" tail of a 14" cable tie just flopping in the breeze. Granted, it's a typical case of a lazy installer who had hundreds of 4" cable ties, but that would have meant having to actually walk back to the truck. Hey, it's OK. It's just the company's money being wasted, not theirs..........for now.

TechHead, I am sorry to say that this is a typical telco installation, and I might add that it's one of the cleaner ones I have seen. Yes, someone can come up and cut the cables and that is a significant concern. Unfortunately, the telco is not required to go any further than what they did. All they have to do is deliver service to the MPOE (Minimum Point Of Entry), usually where the cable comes up out of the ground or out of the air.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#445385 03/22/07 02:02 PM
OP Offline
Here is the inside of that box.

https://www.digitalsonance.com/datat1.jpg

Honestly, I would be happy just to have the NIU moved inside (if that is what it is), and especially happy to find some leverage to make them do so. It makes me very uneasy having such a business critical resource located externally with wiring exposed. If I were to start such a discussion with Qwest, how would one do so?

#445386 03/22/07 02:18 PM
Online Content
That's the T1 interface. I was talking about the building terminal below it. I can't imagine they would even want the T1 interface outside, they must be powering it off the line, can't really tell. It used to cost more to get it powered off the Teleco line.

Retired phone dude
#445387 03/22/07 02:34 PM
OP Offline
Sorry about that, here is the inside of the dmarc:

https://www.digitalsonance.com/dmarcin.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help, this is a bit of a learning experience for me.

#445388 03/22/07 02:39 PM
Online Content
Hmmm, unfortuatley that's a legal DEMARK. I was hoping for your sake it was just a building terminal. I'd go for conduit between you and the DEMARK, would be much better and a lot more secure.

Retired phone dude
#445389 03/22/07 02:52 PM
OP Offline
What about moving the T1 interface inside? Could I do that, or would I get in trouble? Again, that is my primary concern.

#445390 03/22/07 03:13 PM
Online Content
Technically you are not suppose to touch the Teleco side, but what they don't know. Packs have been know to blow when moved, so I'd be a little leary of doing it, unless you know the phone guys.

Retired phone dude
#445391 03/22/07 04:56 PM
What is an MC10?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#445392 03/23/07 01:30 AM
That looks like a nema rated box, the T1 circuit is in. Have never seen one outside a commercial entrance other than refinery or chemical type business. Why not use 2 padlocks and issue keys to business owners, have a sign on boxes reflecting location of keys, can cc notice to telco saying that due to insecure installation key is needed,and location of key is-------.This will give notice to telco that a:paperwork on problem is in customers hand if a problem occurs and b:Key is needed. This could prod telco to move to better location?

#445393 03/23/07 03:33 AM
It's the "snowball effect". DEMARC was installed outside. Then the T1 was installed and they put it next to the DEMARC because they don't want to be responsible for IW between the DEMARC and the remote unit. The remote unit is the DEMARC for the T1- after that it's the customer's responsibility. So no, you cannot legally move it yourself.

Like I said before, this all goes back to the "intelligence" of the owner or contractor who was present when service to the building was installed. I have found that most times with small commercial buildings telephone service is an afterthought. Build the building, finish all the site work, landscape then expect the TELCO to bring in service. It probably wouldn't have cost much if anything to locate the DEMARC inside at a suitable location with a little planning. But once its installed you are stuck with it unless you want to shell out big bucks to have it moved.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024