web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally posted by ev607797:

Aside from picture #2 where white cable ties are used outdoors, the rest is the norm.
Your kidding right? The rest is norm? First of all NEC states all work should be done in a "neat and work like manner". Secondly, if all this cable has been run by telco there are some serious liabilities here. Ducking under telco feeds in order to enter the building is hardly normal. And if it was run by Verizon I would have their ass out there in a minute replacing every bit of it. However if this is house cable then Verizon has no obligation.

If you really want this clean up I suggest hiring a company that contracts for many of the larger bells in your neck of the woods. This is not a fly-by-night job.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have to agree with Ed here..that is preaty much a normal site around here. Is it right...nope..Is Verizon going to fix it...Nope at least not without a lot of b^%&ing and wasted time. As long as they provide you a demark you can connect to, they feel they have done their job. As far as the hanging cable...that needs to be porperly supported..Now is that Verizon;s wiring or the Customers?

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
RustyNails:

I am sure that much of this cabling shown was not originally run by Verizon, or if it was, if falls under the unregulated part of their business as a utility. I agree with you on the NEC article 110 "neat and workmanlike" issue, but from what the age of the building appears to be (I'm guessing mid 70's), this was probably done before the NEC was actually applied to telephone cabling.

These cables aren't really considered "feeds"; they are extensions. I think that they fall into the "house cable" category, thus the responsibility of the customer or building owner. I have a hard time believing that this happened overnight though. White cable ties used outdoors, especially in the Florida sun will certainly fail quickly.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Kumba Offline OP
OP Offline
When in doubt, go to the source. Meeting verizon at the site to have them give me a ruling on it. All that cabling hanging down ends up inside the BET's.

Kumba:

Please keep us posted as to the outcome. Here's a few pics of a similar mess that Verizon (Bell Atlantic) made that I have circulated here before:

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It's worth delaying any decision until you've had Verizon onsite. If you decide to accept this very in-depth project: Before touching anything, make sure you have a written copy in hand from Verizon of their entire response to this situation.

Administrator
Administrator
I can tell you what the decision will be. STAY OUT OF THE TERMINAL. You dont belong in them they are Verizon property. And FYI Verizon will do nothing to any existing copper. It's all about the FIOS.

Kumba Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok... here's the run-down from the Verizon guy who showed up. Still have to get in touch with engineering now to further my project.

The lines you see pictured hanging down over the entranceways are verizon's cabling. There is one 50-Pair BET at the south end of the building that has 2 25-pair cables ran from it to the 3 BET's at the north end of the building. From there it passes through the fourth Enclosure with the 5-pin lightning/surge arrestor's and then travels through 2 25-pair cables BACK to the single BET at the south end of the building.

Now, evidently at some point 3 more 25-pair cables were ran from the 3 BET's at the north end of the building to the lone BET terminal at the South End. Then inside this box it was all spliced and ran out of that box, back along the cable path, and into different parts of the building for Demarc.

That means in a BET designed for 50-pair of cable there is over 250 pair being terminated/spliced/crossed and otherwise molested.

The Cloud of wires below the 3 BET's at the north end is just the typical cross-connect garbage from box to box because the active pair wasn't in the correct box that had the pre-existing demarc extension.

So what I am getting is tomorrow (saturday) they are going to come back with the cabling crew to j-hook the wire up below the rain gutters every 4-feet and make it cleaner-looking. The guy who showed up said he wasn't properly equipped for the job.

They are also going to look at correcting the boxes so that covers will close and pull any unneccesary wire. This just means wire that's laying in there not connected to anything. I dont expect them to pull much, if anything.

Calling the engineer as we speak to see about doing something different with the demarc's and inside wiring. So it will be interesting to see how many ten's of thousands of dollars they want.

Atleast I can charge for not doing anything but making a few phone calls to verizon smile

Nice! Thanks for keeping us posted. We have a lot of members in the Verizon area of Florida, so it will be good to know how they actually address these issues in the future.

Oh, and yes, I am sure that this will be costly.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
One of the advantages of small cities/ large towns is that you get to know all the installers, and even give 'em a hand occassionally. Makes for good relations and help back. More than once myself and 1 of the installers wound up on the same job and time to spare and really cleaned up/out the terminal and adjacent MDF. One job he needed to set an RJ21 and I wanted to set a 66 with arrestors right next to it. No room at all in one of the big lift out cover boxes that was 2 cells wide, in a bank. We spent 2 hours cleaning out the abandoned junk and generally straigtening out the mess. Once done we had 1 whole 'cell' empty. I believe it used to be that way 'before interconnects' when the 'phone company' cared and had inspectors that really did inspect. Now it's 'his fault, not mine', and the inspectors don't look unless they get a group of complaints that are about the same guy(s). I always told my guys, "if you have time, and can help, offer". But that was the last job, too many installers here, too big a metro area. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,110 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 113 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024