Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
PMCook Offline OP
OP Offline
Got a problem. Must rig up several phones where there is only CAT5 currently yet must keep the computrers on the network. If I made a splitter to pull off the unused pairs at the wall and patch panel, would this create any issues for either the phones or the network switch? I've done this for just network connections but never voice and network in the same cable.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
REALLY bad practice but it will probably work.

Ive seen threads like this where the OP came back and reported that it was working fine .

why not just run some cat 3 for voice ?

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
PMCook Offline OP
OP Offline
I will when time and logistics permit. This is a must have NOW and the runs are long and require me to boot people from workstations. I can't do it until a weekend evening and they want 4 bodies with phones by the end of today.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Sell them cordless phones if they want it that bad, explaining the potential problems.

A general rule I use is if it ain't supposed to be, don't do it...it'll bite you every time sooner or later.

You can always run cat 3 along the floor with enough extra slack to do it right when time permits. Not the safeest practice, but better. Usually the client will give you the needed time to do it right.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
PMCook Offline OP
OP Offline
Cordless is not an option, temporary cabling is not an option. If I have to run cable I will and they'll just have to lump it but seeing as how this is a Partner ACS I was hoping the voltages would be low enough to not cause crossover or induction. I *hate* jerry-rigging anything but this is a special case. Its an old brick building with hard top ceilings and getting cable in there is going to mean drilling and running wire mold - there just isn't the time to do it all today.

We all know this practice is not up to industry standard. We're not telling you anything new. wink

Technically speaking I doubt it would cause a problem with the data or the telephone unless you are connecting analog lines to the cable. If the telephone lines are analog the ringing current may cause a blip on the data signal but even then I doubt it would be noticeable.

The problem I have with doing things like this is that even though it is done as a temporary measure, they have a way of becoming "temporarily permanent". frown
Sometimes it's difficult, if not impossible, to get a customer to fork over more money to do things the right way once they see everything working the way they want. All they know is that it's working and that's good enough for them and especially the boss.

In the future when another vendor comes along and sees the way things have been rigged, do you think the customer is going to tell them they told you to do it that way? Not on your life. But they will be quick to give them the name of your company! mad

you know guys, when you go on a job and have some cabling to do, well do it right, because if you leave a cable on the floor no one know if someone will pull on it or something like that, so you will have to go back and pass another cable. the best thing to do is past the cable and put it down into the wall. If the costumer want it some where else later on, you gotta have to pass another cable,dont mind about the time or equipement, it is the costumer that pay for that. the best thing to do its alwyas do the job correctly.i almost forgot never pass a computer cable over neon that create indution and you cable will lose some of its signal.

Charles Cerminara
Director of instalation and selling departement
Screw the 'puters. Take the two pairs and put the phone on it. As long as they work is all we have to worry about. :banana:

Would a CG worry about our phones?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I didn't read this whole thread, so if this has been addressed already I apologize.

One thing to keep in mind, is that if you're not using a phone system and you're just bringing the dialtone to each station, the AC ring has a tendency to choke out the data signal during a ring.

I can't do it until a weekend evening and they want 4 bodies with phones by the end of today.
take one of the data cables and run it to a 5 port switch , connect the four workstations to the switch now all four users are on the network via one cable and you have 3, 4 pair data cables that can now become phone cables feeding two partner extension per cable

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,288
Posts638,794
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,351 Shoretel
189,001 CTX100 install
187,391 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024